Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 KaliShadow

Kali listened to Pela's answer and she nodded, "You are wise to understand you are not welcome in this place Pela, but your wisdom never was in doubt was it. You are intelligent, well beyond your years, you were since the day I met you."

She turned and looked at Olwa, his face was pale and she could see the beads of sweat beginning to form on his forehead, she stepped closer. As she moved the folds of her robes swirled open, glowing from within. There was actual fire burning in the deepest folds of her garment and a purple haze gently lifted off the surface. She was truly the master of shadow and flame. Pela would recognize the magic signature that pulsed from her as she moved closer. She got almost nose to nose with Olwa and stared into his eyes, "Do you fear me Elfkin?"

"I don't fear evil!"

She smiled and narrowed her eyes slightly, "That was not the question, I asked if you fear ME."

Olwa looked at her a moment and spoke softly, "Yes."

She leaned back and looked over his shoulder at Pela. The young girl looked directly back at her and Kali's mouth crept upwards on the right side as the alluring, charismatic, crooked smile resurfaced, "And I don't need to ask you Pela, you have faced things much more dangerous than me, you have no reason to be afraid do you?"

She turned and walked back to where she had started and turned, sparks and shadow spun off her robes as they swirled and caught up with the movement of her body underneath. She looked at both of them a long, silent moment and spoke, "There are consequences for your actions, but I don't believe I can punish you nearly as much as your Mentors could, but the question will linger, how or even WILL you face their anger. Death would be a release rather than a punishment, so I am leaving your fate in your own hands."

She noted the look of curiosity on Pela's face as she continued, "I leave you with this struggle to define your characters and test your bravery... Tell your Mentors that the dragons are coming, but the wardings and the magi have already begun to prepare for their arrival. We see without eyes and we hear without ears. The movements of magic are known more to us in this magnified place than anywhere else on Krynn. Should an attempt be made to destroy these towers the carnage and the blood will be thicker and deeper than the last time. There is a limitless supply of material for the creation of warriors to face you, and not even dragons can chew rock."

She looked at Pela directly now, her eyes seemed to bore right into the young girls soul, "Will you tell your Mentors? Will you warn them and face their punishment for straying to the wardings and standing in my presence? Or will you let them move forward without this information, will you let them charge forth to their deaths? It will mean pain for you either way, but I leave it to yourselves to decide."

There was a sudden flash of deep purple light, Olwa and Pela were standing just outside the wardings by the marking poles. Olwa looked up and saw Kali standing on the top most observation balcony of the tower of shadow flame, she was staring at them, as if waiting to see what they would decide.

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 NolBanner

Nol watched as Kellan and Arvandor moved in an intricate dance. Even though she would be primarily fighting in the air it was good for her to learn to use the lance on the ground, however the weapon became much more cumbersome and unwieldy off it's mount on the saddle she might need to fight like this if her mount was injured or dead.

He was keeping his eye on her movements and saw the mistake, the wrap to the body and Arvandor's front claw pinning her to the ground. Arvandor looked over at him and he simply shook his head. Week's of practice and it felt like they needed years more before they would be ready, but they didn't have weeks, they had three more days before the flight was to set off to Heartlund.

Arvandor let Kellan up and spoke in his deep voice, "Aye, checkmate."

As Kellan stood up Nol approached and spoke, "I think ten hours is enough for the day sir."

Arvandor nodded and Nol turned to look at Kellan. He was smiling but she could see the slight concern on his face. Ultimately it came down to him not wanting harm to come to her, the slight frustration was not due to her inability to learn, in fact the opposite was true she was learning at a leaps and bounds pace, but their timeline was quickly condensing and sooner than anyone wanted they would be in battle against the towers and the forces of the Dark Lady.

"Come Kellan, let's to your residence, you can clean up and we can eat. Raju is preparing a meal. After dinner I will rub those sore muscles of yours."
Back to top Go down
http://www.zinsk.com
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 am

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Pela

A rock and a hard place. That was where Pela and Olwa now stood. Either way it wasn’t going to be pleasant. Not by a long shot. And they were fools to try and convince themselves otherwise. As Pela took a deep breath after they were ported to just outside the wardings, she looked over at Olwa and saw where he was looking. Following his line of sight, Pela swore she could feel Kali’s eyes boring into her very soul once more. Narrowing her eyes, she touched Olwa’s arm then turned on weak legs and started heading back towards the wall of the Keep. Shoulders squared, back straight and head held high. She wouldn’t let Kali see just how much pain she was already in or just how scared she was for Olwa.

These new emotions were foreign to her and like all things foreign to her, she fought them head on as she walked. Her strides weren’t long but she wasn’t taking baby steps either. Even though each step made her weak legs feel all the weaker. It was all the energy she could gather to walk, let alone sort through all of this.

What sort of punishment was she in for if she told Ceridwyn and Rayann what happened? What sort of punishment was Olwa in for? Glancing sideways at him she felt a new emotion at the thought he was going to have to face punishment of some kind. She should have done a better job at keeping him away but she didn’t. And because of her carelessness for his safety, he was going to pay a price.

Anger, hurt, fear, sadness….they were all eating at her as she walked. Finally Olwa tried to reach out to get her to slow down and she brushed his hand away, shoving it harshly. It was all too much for her and she couldn’t let him cloud her mind right now. It was clouded enough. Finally she stopped and turned an accusing glare on him. That battle ready stance he saw her take when Kali first made her presence known returned and there was no doubt who her target was at this point. Her voice was as cold as her hand had been earlier when she spoke, keeping her tone low so no one would be alerted to their presence and foil their chances of sneaking back into the Keep

”Happy? Thanks to you, we are faced with what to do. My first instinct is to leave and let you figure it out on your own, but I cannot do that anymore. At least not as easily as I used to be able to do.”

She took s a few more steps away from him then turned once more.

”Not without feeling bad for leaving you to deal with all of this on your own. And why did you have to meet me? If you had left me alone, I would not be in this predicament…..and I certainly would not feel…..”

What DID she feel right now? Besides angry at herself and lashing out at him for it? Taking a deep breath and turning away from him, she tried to gather her composure without doing or saying something that would hurt him worse than she already had. Finally she started walking again and called quietly over her shoulder.

”Come on. Best we get this done and over with now instead of postponing the inevitable.”

The truth was as ugly as it could get for Pela right now. She knew she cared deeply for this Elf and yet she knew she didn’t know how to express it. Nor did she know what it really meant for her. Except that in a few minutes they were going to have to tell the others what they did. And relay Kali’s message to them all. And then, no doubt, all hell was going to break loose for both of them.

She felt moisture filling her eyes and she angrily blinked them away trying to prevent them from spilling down her cheeks. The LAST thing she wanted was for him to see her emotions this raw.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:57 am

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 KellanBanner

Kellan felt the weight of Arvandor’s claws release her and she rolled over looking up at the sky. The sun would be setting soon. And if she didn’t get this right, she would not see another sun setting from anywhere on Krynn let alone from this beautiful place. Furrowing her brows, she pushed herself up and got to her feet. Picking up the Dragonlance, she turned to look at both Nol and Arvandor, shaking her head.

”No.”

When she saw Nol’s raised brow and Arvandor turn to look at her with his golden gaze, she shook her head and repeated her word.

”No.”

Nol started to protest but she pointed the Dragonlance at him and furrowed her brow even more.

”I said no and I mean no. You aren’t the one who has to learn all of this. I am. And obviously I haven’t learned enough. There are still more hours in this day I can train.”

She looked up at Arvandor then and raised her brow.

”Unless your too tired, General. I mean, I know you’re not a spring hatchling anymore and you have gotten a bit soft in the middle. So if you wish to call it a day, I completely understand.”

She was taunting Arvandor and she knew it. And she also knew it was a dangerous thing to do. But Kellan had never been one to take the easy road. And she wasn’t going to start now.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 am

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 OlwaBanner
Olwa felt relief that they were in the open again and turned to see Pela stomping off. He followed quickly and as she turned he stepped back slightly. She spoke and he felt shame and sadness. She was right after all, it was HIS fault. She turned and started walking and then almost immediately turned again, hitting him with a second round of harsh words, but words he knew that he deserved.

As they made their way to the City Walls he reflected on his actions, his ‘bravery’ and his curiosity were really in the end, stupidity and he knew it. Now not only was he about to be seriously disciplined but most likely he would end up back in Silvanost. He was too young in the Rangers to have done what he did. There was no excuse that he could conjure up in his mind that would satisfy Aeolis and he knew it.

The city gate came too quickly and the guards merely nodded them in having recognized Pela. She lead them swiftly though the city and to the Keep. He paused a moment and looked up. The Eastern most side was still lit by the torches and fires of the party and he could hear the voices cascading out into the night air. He swallowed hard but turned as he heard Pela’s heavy stomping across the drawbridge. He jogged to catch up and walked with her as they wove through the Keep and to the large open doors that lead them into the party.
Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 NolBanner
Nol stepped back and put his hands up in mock surrender as Kellan spoke firmly. He went back to where he had been sitting and was about to sit when he heard Kellan’s taunting. He turned with a look of extreme interest on his face. She was calling out one of the finest generals in the dragon armies and with raised eyebrows he sat knowing that Arvandor was not going to allow her words to go without a response.

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:19 pm

((took a couple liberties. Forgive if I overstepped))

Pela marched all the way into the Keep and through the hallways that lead to the main audience room where they were still having quite the festive party. She paused when she reached the side of the door. This was not going to be easy and she wasn’t sure what she feared more. Ceridwyn and Rayann’s punishment or Olwa’s. She was used to a harsh life but he was the innocent one here. And he was only doing what he thought was the right thing for him to do.

Looking over at him and seeing the way he was looking at her tore her heart apart. Never had she felt like this for another being since Bad Rock died and even her feelings for him were different. Was it fair to let him suffer for being who he was?

The answer to that hit her like a ton of rocks and as she stood there looking into his eyes, she saw the confusion in his blue pools. Glancing up and down the hallway to see if anyone was moving about and not seeing anyone, she took a deep breath and suddenly stepped forward, drawing him into a hug that was so tight she was certain his breathing was restricted. Her voice was an emotionally filled whisper as she spoke to his sensitive ear.

”You should not be punished for this, Olwa. Please….forgive me….”

Her lips pressed against his cheek as he felt an incredible cold envelope him centered where her hands touched him in the center of his back. Before he lost all ability to move he heard her whisper spidery words of magic before everything faded to black.

It would be a few hours before Olwa would awaken from the sleep spell Pela had cast upon him and when he awoke, he would see he was safe and sound in his natural bed in his quarters just outside the Keep.

Pela felt the drain on her body from casting three spells back to back but she couldn’t think of any other way to do this. At least not in her thinking anyway. As her legs grew weak once more, she leaned up against the wall to support herself until she could gather the strength to move.

Forcing herself to walk, she stepped into the room and immediately saw Rayann and Ceri looking at her. The moment of reckoning had arrived and she was now going to face the music.

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 RayannRed

Rayann felt the pull on the magical field and knew the general direction the magic use came from. Turning to glance at Ceri before they both looked towards the main door, they were getting ready to move when they saw Pela round the corner. The girl looked exhausted and before anyone could say anything, Rayann was already moving towards her. The first thing she noticed was the way she had entered the room and the second was the clothes she was wearing.

As she got closer, she furrowed her brows as she glanced around looking for Olwa who was nowhere to be found. Concerned, she glanced to Ceri then back to Pela as she reached out to help the girl support herself.

”Pela? Where’s Olwa? And why are you dressed like this?”

Pela practically fell into Rayann’s arms when the woman reached out for her. She felt the security of the embrace and couldn’t help letting the tears she had been holding back fall silently now. Whatever was going to happen was going to happen to her and not Olwa. It was the way it had to be.

”I am sorry, Rayann…..I was just curious.”

Rayann began to grow worried and glanced to Ceri then saw Aeolis standing there with a cross look on his face.

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Aeolis

Aeolis felt the pull on the magic when the women did and when he saw Pela step into the room without Olwa beside her and seeing what she was wearing, he knew something happened. He was close on the heels of Rayann and Ceri as they moved towards Pela.

As Rayann asked why she was dressed like she was, Aeolis knew right away who’s clothes she was wearing. The vest gave it away right off the start.

”She is dressed in Elven Ranger attire. And she is wearing Olwa’s vest. Where is he Pela? What happened?”

Pela glanced at Aeolis and saw how upset he was then glanced at Rayann and Ceri.

”He is back in his quarters, in the trees. He should be sleeping off the sleep spell I put him under.”

Aeolis quirked a brow then glanced at Ceri and sent her a missive.

~Can you verify that for me?~

Rayann glanced up at Myth who was now standing beside her. Whatever happened to Pela left her completely drained. As the music stopped and the crowd began to quiet, Rayann glanced around and knew they had to get Pela out of there quickly. Glancing at Myth, she nodded slightly and watched as he stepped forward to scoop Pela’s slight form up into his arms and carry her out.

Rayann turned to Trystan, Rose and Sir Ordin and smiled apologetically.

[“If you all will excuse us. It seems the younger generation has gotten themselves into some mischief. We will sort this all out and deal with it accordingly.”

She saw Trystan start to object and she sent him a missive to stop him

~I give my word, we will report everything once we sort this all out ourselves. But for now, it is a situation involving a magic user so I respectfully request you allow us to handle it~

Trystan wasn’t exactly happy but he nodded all the same knowing it was best for the magi to deal with their own. As he watched Rayann leave in a swirl of red robes, he couldn’t help but have de-je-vou from an earlier time.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 CeriBanner

She whirled when she felt the magic in the area and met Rayann's gaze then turned to watch Pela enter the room. She stepped back slightly as Rayann grabbed her and listened to her words. Turning her head to Aeolis as he spoke to her mind she simply nodded and walked to the hallway.

Pela had cast a spell here, and she aimed to know what it was foremost. She cast detect magic and a trace. The area lit up like a yule tree to her eyes and she noted the spells cast. She inhaled deeply and it was obvious to her that though Pela was telling the truth she wasn't necessarily being completely straight with them either.

She spoke a missive to Aeolis, ~ "Olwa is where Pela said." ~ It was a mere minute before she was secluded with Aeolis, Rayann and Pela.

))Gonna let you take up the dialogue from here as I don't know what you want her to reveal ((
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Arvandor's fixed his golden eyes on Kellen and there was a low guteral laugh eminating from his throat. The great gold lowered himself to the ground eyes still on Kellen. He spoked in a low yet amused tone. "I think a little endurance training is in order then my young student if you think yourself capable."

It was an odd sight indeed to see a smile upon a dragon's face but there was one none the less. Kellen had been subjected to all manner of combat and flight maneuvers but Arvandor had yet to take her on a flight of endurance. To Nol this meant Kelen was about to embark upon a flight like nothing she had experienced yet. It was a test of both the rider and dragon both. How fast could the dragon go with a rider on their back. How long and how high could they fly. It would be as uch a test on Arvandor as it would be a test of the human rider. In time even Nol would have to embark upon this test with Kellan.

Arvandor sat there and waited for Kellan's response with a mirthful smirk.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Pela knew Myth was strong but he carried her like she was a mere feather. It was then she was glad she never met this man on the field of battle she almost did. When they got to Myth and Rayann’s quarters, Myth set her down gently on the bed and Rayann and Ceri immediately sat on either side of her. Pela took a few moments to gather her composure before she looked at both women and both men who were anxiously awaiting her explanation of things. Swallowing hard, she set about revealing what happened.

”I went beyond the walls of the Keep to the perimeter of the Towers barriers. I must have gotten too close and touched the wardings for I awoke someplace dark and foul smelling. After a few moments, Kali came to me.”

Rayann rose both brows and glanced at Ceri then back to Pela.

”Kali? You were in her tower?”

Pela nodded.

”I must have been. She took away all the magic in the area so I could not cast against her.”

Rayann could feel the tension rising in her.

”Did she say anything to you?”

Pela nodded.

”Yes. She told me to tell you the dragons are coming but the wardings and the magi have already started preparing for their arrival. And they can see without eyes and hear without ears because the movement of magic is magnified within the towers boundaries. She said if an attempt was made to destroy the towers again, the carnage and blood would be worse and because there would be a never ending supply of warriors to fight and even dragons cannot chew rock.”

Rayann looked to Ceri then to Myth and Aeolis. Aeolis stepped forward then and spoke to her like the commanding officer he was.

”And Olwa had nothing to do with this? At all?”

Pela glanced at Rayann and Ceri then looked to Aeolis and shook her head.

”No.”

Aeolis furrowed his brows. He knew Olwa wouldn’t leave Pela alone but he also knew the young Elf was inexperienced and innocent to the ways of the world outside Silvanost. He glanced at Ceri then back to Pela.

”How did you come about his clothes if he had no part of this?”

Pela swallowed hard and glanced at the others before looking at Aeolis.

”He took me to see what the Elves quarters look like. How easily they adapted to the trees outside the Keep like they did the trees in Silvanost.”

Rayann furrowed her brow then.

”And you just decided to borrow some clothes while you were there?”

Pela looked to Rayann and furrowed her brows as well.

”No, of course not. I wanted to get closer to the towers but he would not take me so, I decided to go on my own without him. After I put him to sleep, I changed into some of his clothes so no one would know it was me. Just like I did when I took the squires clothes after Bad Rock and I first arrived here.”

Aeolis crossed his arms and stared at Pela for what seemed like forever then glanced at Ceri and Rayann.

”Any idea how much longer Olwa will sleep from her spell? I need to talk to him and the sooner the better. Preferably without her anywhere in sight.”
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 KellanBanner

Kellan was certain Arvandor was going to lash out at her for taunting him and when his large head came down eye level with her, she forced herself to stay strong and not take a step backwards. When she heard his amused voice, she wasn’t sure if she was relieved or angry. He knew she didn’t think this was some sort of game yet he found it amusing.

Dragons. She would never understand them completely.

As the challenge was laid before her, Kellan swallowed hard. Nol explain to her what an endurance flight was and she knew it was the most grueling of all the training tasks she would go through. Well, she had opened the door to this and Arvandor allowed her to walk right through it so she had to either put up or shut up.

And Kellan never shut up.

Nodding, she walked around to Arvandor’s left side and climbed upon his back. She had not settled herself in fully when the massive dragon leapt into the air and took off. The sudden jolt to get airborne took her by surprise and her breath for a moment. But almost immediately Kellan had herself squared away and had the Dragonlance tucked safely close to her body.

Keeping herself low on his back, she let Arvandor have his wings. As the wind speed began to increase, she used the protective horns on his head as a means of blocking the worst of it. Higher and higher he climbed, so high in fact she began to feel the air thinning out making it more difficult for her to breathe causing her to take shallow breaths.

Suddenly he dove, straight down and Kellan lost her ability to breathe. Just when she thought she was going to pass out, he pulled his neck up the tilted to the right into a completely sideways bank. That was so sharp, Kellan could feel herself rising out of the saddle. Her legs squeezed tighter together to compensate and she lowered herself even more on his back, leaning into the turn with him so they were moving as one, fluid movement instead of working against each other.

It was tricky at best and she hoped she didn’t put her foot in her mouth by taking on this task so late in the day. She was already tired and her muscles trembled as a result of that tiredness. But if she made it through this, then she knew she could make it through the rest of her training, what precious few days were left.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Ceridwyn stayed back. She didn't say a word for the longest time allowing Aeolis and Rayann to question her. Finally she stood up and walked over to the basins. She took the pitcher of drinking water and poured it into a glass. She turned and walked over to Pela, there was a look of seriousness on her face. It would be obvious to Pela she knew something the others didn't by the look in her eyes.

She walked up beside Pela and handed her the glass of water. As Pela took it Ceridwyn looked down the bridge of her nose at the young girl and spoke, "Let's call this, a grace period."

She stepped back and looked at Rayann, and then back to Pela, "I am going to give you one minute on a gnomes clock to think about the questions that have just been asked of you. If by chance you wish to change your answers then none of your previous answers will be held against you."

Pela had never seen her like this, it was a different side of Ceridwyn. There was no soft glance of compassion or concern, it was as if she was an inquisitor and was facing the witness at a court trial. Her eyes did not sparkle nor was there any warmth in her face. Her expression was like her face had been carved from perfect, pale white marble and her chestnut brown eyes looked directly at Pela's.

She turned as she reached into her robes and withdrew a small purple, velvet bag. She opened it as she walked to the window sill and looked out at the towers. She reached into the bag that was no more than 8 inches deep, but her arm when in all the way past her elbow and almost to her shoulder. She withdrew a small device that looked like nothing more than a box. She set it on the sill and reached behind, winding it up. The little device began to make a faint ticking sound and Ceridwyn turned as she walked back to the middle of the room. The little device had a small glass window on the front and Pela could clearly see a clock. Ceridwyn looked at Pela and spoke, "Your minute to think has begun."
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Deception was something Pela was not very well trained in and even she knew her story had so many holes in it a boat would sink just thinking of crossing these murky waters. And she was no dummy. She knew Ceridwyn and Rayann were on to her. Especially when Ceridwyn set the clock to ticking. This is NOT the way she wanted things to go. She wanted to save Olwa from any punishment. But even she could see her efforts were futile.

So why try and fool those she knew couldn’t be fooled? Because of something she wasn’t even sure she knew the word for yet, that’s why. If she had just been quicker, she could have saved both of them all this trouble but she wasn’t and because of her things had been set into motion she couldn’t stop.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

She watched the seconds tick away and knew her time was growing short. The glass of water Ceridwyn handed her crystallized as Pela’s hands turned cold trying to think of a way to stop this collision from occurring. But it was far too late for that. It was too late the moment she agreed to go with Olwa to the edge of the towers wardings.

Kali said it would be painful and she was right. Decisions had to be made and Pela had obviously made bad ones. Right up to the point where she decided to try and deceive two very well trained magi and two very seasoned commanders.

She saw the clock tick off the last few seconds and when the time was up, she looked at Rayann, Ceridwyn, Aeolis and Myth.

”Do not blame Olwa. Neither of us intended for this to happen. It was an accident. I should have used better judgment and been quicker, but neither of those things happened. And because of me, he will be punished.”

She looked at Aeolis then and pleaded with him.

”He was only trying to find a weakness in the wardings and report it back to you. He did not realize what would happen until….”

Aeolis finished her sentence for her.

”Until it was too late. Unfortunately for him, it was a mistake he will have to pay for. He broke protocol. I cannot have the Rangers taking matters into their own hands and thinking they are above reprimand. He will be dealt with just as you will be, young lady.”

He looked to the others then nodded.

”If you will excuse me, I need to see to my charge.”

Aeolis turned on his heels and left the room to seek out Olwa, asleep or not. Pela felt something she never felt before. Despair. Swallowing hard, she looked at Ceri and Rayann.

”I was trying to protect him.”

Rayann listened to everything Pela confessed to and as the story unfolded, she furrowed her brows even more. The two of them could have just as easily been killed. She couldn’t believe Kali didn’t kill them all the same. But that didn’t change the fact Pela had tried to deceive them all, despite her reasons. As angry as Rayann was with the girl, she was equally relieved Pela and Olwa had made it back alive from Kali’s tower.

But there was an equally pressing issue here on top of everything else that happened this night.

Apparently dragons were headed for Heartlund. And from what Pela said, they were not the Dark Queen’s. So which ones were they? As farfetched as that sounded, there was no way to investigate to find out if it were true or not.

But first things first. Pela had to be dealt with. She glanced at Ceri and nodded. What had to be done had to be done. It was that simple.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:41 pm

As the clock ticked Ceridwyn watched Pela. She could see the girl wrestling with her thoughts and when the small bell finally chimed Pela broke. Ceridwyn quietly took the glass of water and listened to what Pela had to say, as she held the water it melted within the glass and she set it on the nightstand.

Pela was nearly in tears and Aeolis spoke his piece. Ceridwyn looked at him and spoke to his mind, ~ "Wait for me, I will see if I can undo her sleep spell, it is dangerous to attempt and wake him without me." ~

He nodded before he left and she turned back to look at Pela once again. As Rayann spoke Ceridwyn turned and looked at her. She spoke more softly now, but she looked at Rayann, not Pela, "Yes, what needs to be done needs to be done. Though we must not hold lying against her, in the end she did tell the truth."

She turned and looked back at Pela, her chestnut brown eyes scanning the young girls face, "It is also curious that Kali sent her back to us instead of simply destroying them both," She turned to look at Rayann, "Curious indeed. Kali has never done anything without a reason, so I would be cautious to say we must decide not based on what she has done," she looked back at Pela, "But what she didn't do."

Pela looked at her curiously and she looked back to Rayann, "It is late. I suggest we sleep on this matter and convene in the morning."

She looked at Pela and nodded. She turned back to Rayann and walked up to her, touching her gently on the shoulder as she spoke in missive, ~ "There is something deeper at play here, Kali is cunning and we must not play into any deception she might be planning or attempting to weigh lay on us. As much as we teach the girl patience so too must we practice it ourselves." ~

She began walking out of the room and disappeared from sight just as she was hitting the hallway.

She appeared at Aeolis' side. He was already in Olwa's quarters. The boy was dressed in his full Ranger armor and Ceridwyn could see that Aeolis was fuming. She touched his arm gently and as he looked at her she smiled softly, "Mel'amine, let him sleep, we shall talk to them both in the morning."

He began to protest and she touched his shoulder, "Quiet your mind, if you confront him in this manner surly you will only drive him away from you. Sometimes the hardest hand comes with the softest words. We need to question them both and discern what Kali's message means as well as if there is truth to it. We can not put a wedge where we might need to simply build a bridge... come."

She pulled his hand gently and even though he hesitated at first she finally got him to follow. Before they left she sealed the entrance to his quarters, he would not be able to leave until they came and retrieved him, "Come mel'amine, let us get some rest."
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Pirabanner

Piramay stood staring down upon the scale map of the lands surrounding the towers. She looked upon the chunk of ice that represented the portal in heartlund with disdain. Had her hand not been stayed by Fifth it would be little more than an evaporating puddle. Kali had swayed Fifth's mind into agreeing because it simply meant more souls to harvest. As good as Fifth was at manipulating those around him the flame mage could see her colleague being played.

Piramay's hand came down and rested on the fail safe item Kali had crafted for the three of them. She could trace every fiber of its creation but could find no kind of deception. he item would work exactly as specified. The only thing of note was that the item would return the three of them to the central spire, Kali's spire. Her mind was awash with scenarios of what could happen and she sighed moving from the table.

She stepped out onto the balcony to take in a breath of fresh night air. There was a tingling sensation at the edge of her senses and she looked towards the perimeter of the wards and made out two figures moving away with haste. From the looks of it a young elf and young woman. Moments later Piramay recognized the woman to be Pela and she raised her eyebrow. Her eyes shifted to Kali's tower and there she saw the woman watching the two leave. Piramay scratched her chin for a moment whispering to herself "Curious"

With a grunt the magess stepped back into her tower and began to descend into the bowels. Her hand reached into the folds of her cloak brining forth the soul well she had received from Fifth and a red ruby of the same approximate size. She smiled as she absently began to move the items around in her hand. "Time to start working on my own back up plans..."

As she descended further she could here the angry growls of a dragon and it made her smile broaden. Deep in the bowels of her tower a lake of molten rock had gathered in a great cavern. At the center was a dark island of rock and bound upon it were two dragons, one gold, one red, and both quite furious. As Piramay emerged into the cavern the gaze of the gold dragon fixated upon her. She could feel the creatures attempts to break her will with it's dragon fear. She simply chuckled. She could not recall either of the creatures name nor did she care what that names were. All that mattered was that the dragons were well along in age and ready to birth a clutch of eggs.

Their bonds were a combination of materials found in the earthen cavern where she now stood. One however was a material she had no name for but had a use in her work. Its presence alone strengthened the earthen bonds and slowly extracted the dragons magical essence from them. A thin trail of the material spread from each dragon and out into the molten lake to a depression in the liquid. Inside sat the eggs of both the dragons coated in the strange material pulsing with a feint light.

Piramay walked upon the lake with out a care in the world towards the eggs that sat there. She watched the light pulse and fade for several seconds before looking back towards her captives with a wink "Soon my friends you will see the fruits of my labors." Her laughter filled the cavern and flowed up the stairs into the tower above.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Pela was completely confused. She was being told to rest? And they would handle it in the morning? She was fully expecting to be punished for her deeds right here. Right now. But….she wasn’t? These people didn’t make sense to her. Did they? She blinked and looked at Rayann and Ceri then back to Rayann.

”I…do not…”

Rayann gave Pela a look that spoke volumes without saying a word and Pela merely slid off the bed and stood on her feet, shakily. Rayann reached out to steady the girl for a moment then slowly let hr hands ease away from Pela’s body. Pela looked at her again and Rayann nodded towards the door.

”Go to your quarters, Pela and do not come out unless Ceri or I come for you. Do you understand?”

Pela nodded then and tuned to leave the room. Rayann looked to Myth and sighed rubbing the back of her neck.

”I hope Shaer doesn’t put us through such times as these two girls have.”

Aeolis was livid. Of all the foolish things for Olwa to do., this had to top the scale and border lined on stupid. Even as he stood there, arms crossed and staring down with heated anger in his gaze at the sleeping younger Ranger. He glanced down at Ceri and furrowed his brow even more.

”I cannot believe he did something like this. What was he thinking? I thought he had better judgment than that. Was he so obsessed with trying to impress that he threw caution AND training to the wind?”

Ceri tugged on his hand even harder and he sighed relenting to her urgings. He ran his hand through his hair and shook his head.

”Perhaps he is too young for such an assignment. Maybe I should send him back to Silvanost.”

As Ceri spoke about building a bridge instead, Aeolis nodded and followed her out of Olwa’s quarters.

”Perhaps, mel’amine…..perhaps. I shall trust your thinking on this. As I always do.”

Pela made it to her quarters and closed the door behind her. The night had started out so promising and it all turned sour in a matter of moments. She should have known better than to try and take things into her own hands and lie to Ceri and Rayann.

She looked at herself in the mirror and saw she was still wearing Olwa’s clothes, including his vest. Fresh tears sprang into her eyes and she couldn’t stop them from falling. Curling into a ball, she cried herself to sleep not knowing what tomorrow was going to bring for her.

Last edited by RPMistress on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 KaliShadow
Kali watched as the two youths left and she half smiled. She knew the tongue lashing Pela was going to receive and as for Olwa she didn’t know who his superior was but there was no doubt in her mind that because of his age he was still a trainee at best. If it was her Father he would certainly be disciplined severely for stepping out of line, he was a fair elf, but a just elf as well and he didn’t allow for breaks in protocol.

The cool air of night was inviting to her and she stayed a moment. Movement caught the corner of her eye and she turned to look at the distant tower of flame. She thought she had seen something on the main observation balcony but her keen eyesight caught nothing. The tower always flashed and fluttered with flames and Kali chalked it up as little more. She turned back to see Pela and the Elf boy disappear over the hill. She turned and walked inside, her mind fixed on all that she was still needing to do before the dragons arrived.

Fifth had figured it out and passed the information to Piramay and herself last evening when the three met. For the most part they remained autonomous of one another, left to their own plans and practice of the Art, however Fifth liked for them to meet on a regular basis to keep in touch with the others plans. It was generally a pleasant meeting, though she still had not gained the trust of Piramay. It didn’t surprise her, the fire mage was more than practiced in detecting deception, one doesn’t rise to become the Dark Ladies Grand Inquisitor without being able to detect lies. Kali knew she was walking a fine line, and she knew that she had to gain the trust of Piramay if things were going to ‘happen’ as she needed them to happen. Fifth was all too easy, his weakness always was beautiful women, it was no wonder at all that for his two assistants and partners in this whole intrigue he had chosen a half elf and perhaps the single most beautiful red head to ever walk the face of Krynn, the fact she was also a stone cold, or should she say, hot, murderer only made Piramay that much more attractive to the man.

For her end however, Kali was good at deception, almost too good and Piramay had done little more than cast a suspicious glance or two. Kali couldn’t read the woman’s thoughts without being detected but she could tell that Piramay still had no hard evidence to prove her case and therefore things were moving along as the three discussed how Krynn would be divided and who would manage what regions. It wasn’t so much the exploitation or the power that any of them were after, ultimately the idea was to replace the magic system with the ancient magic flowing from the rift above the towers, to snuff out the will of the gods of the moons and ultimately to begin a new age of power where the Wizard’s ruled, so long as they were subject to the three masters. The fatal flaw was that they were all in the end mortal, and therefore the prolonging of the life essence was first and foremost on Fifth’s list. He had been experimenting with the soul wells and making them more and more powerful, he had even built a prototype that would drain the soul of its victim while the poor sap was still alive instead of having to be slain first. The idea of it alone was disturbing and Kali knew that Piramay had taken a very special interest in this new type of soulwell, but for what end Kali was still trying to figure out.

She made her way to her comfortable quarters and sat down heavily at her massive desk. She looked out across the room at her reflection in the massive mirror and she breathed deeply. There was still so much to do, and time was running short.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 10:59 am

Olwa blinked his eyes and squinted at the brightness of morning coming through his doorway. He looked around and moaned slightly, he felt like he was hung over and his head was pounding. He swung his feet over and rested his head in his hands as he tried to recall the last moments he could remember last night.

He remembered following Pela to the Keep, and then up the spiral staircase to the audience room where the Knights and Elves had been mingling... but then...

He remembered her saying into his ear that she was sorry, but sorry for what? He could not remember anything beyond that. There was no memory of talking to Ceridwyn or Rayann or Aeolis... it was fuzzy... He remembered voices, or a stare..., but nothing was coming to him.

He stood slowly and caught himself before he he fell over, his legs felt like they were made of jelly. He inhaled deeply and with one hand supported himself, with the other he unstrapped his armor and changed into more comfortable clothing. He straightened his tunic and headed for the door, he could tell by the light it was at best mid-morning and surly he was in trouble for not being up and out in time, how he had slept so long was beyond him, he NEVER slept so late.

As his foot hit the doorway he suddenly found himself back inside his quarters. He blinked and looked around, puzzled by what just happened. He walked to the door again and attempted to step outside but was immediately in the middle of his quarters. He furrowed his brows and looked around, things were starting to become a little clearer to him now. He sighed and sat on his bunk, waiting.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

The ONLY reason Pela slept was because she was exhausted. Physically, mentally and for the first time in her life, emotionally. But even her dreams were filled with the wide range of emotions she was feeling when she returned to her quarters. Her eyes were still puffy and red from crying and her head felt like a ten ton boulder. But she had risen, albeit later than usual, and prepared for this fateful day.

It pained her to remove the clothes Olwa had given to her to wear, but she knew she had to dress appropriately to face the sentence for her crimes. With each article she removed, she folded them lovingly, neatly stacking them on the table she ate and studied at. Her fingers caressed the soft material and as a last thought, she took back the tunic and tucked it under her pillow carefully so it couldn’t be seen. As a way to make up for her ‘thievery’, she took one of her own black shirts, folded it in a way that only the black material could be seen and set it with his clothes.

Her fingers reached out and caressed the leather vest once more before she turned and washed with the chilled water in her dry sink, dried herself then dressed in a pair of light brown leggings and white blouse. She braided her hair into a single, thick plait then curled it onto the crown of her head and secured it in place with three hair pins. Pulling the black boots onto her feet and waited for the arrival of her mentors.

She waited for what seemed like forever before there was a single knock on her door and it was opened. The bright light from the outside told her it was at least mid-morning and from the red coloring that spilled into the area it was Rayann that had come to retrieve her.

Pela stood up almost immediately when the door had been opened and squinted against the bright light from the outside. Rayann stepped into the area, looked around then nodded to the young woman.

”Good. You’re up. Come. We have unfinished business to attend to.”

Pela swallowed hard and nodded. She took a few steps towards the door then remembered Olwa’s clothes. She glanced at her pillow quickly as she turned back towards the door and clutched his clothes tight against her as she walked out the door.

Rayann stepped up beside her and closed the door then started walking. Pela fell in step behind her with her head downcast. She lifted it only briefly to see what direction they were headed in. Of course it came as no surprise when she was being led into the Keep and through the hallways. Pela felt like a prisoner heading for execution and like that doomed prisoner, she was dreading the moment of truth.

Rayann led her into a room that had a single table with several chairs on one side and they all faced the area Pela stood.

”Stand here.”

Pela glanced at Rayann as she walked to stand in front of the table and stood looking at Pela but said nothing. Pela swallowed hard again as she tried to figure out what was going to happen.

It was almost an hour after Olwa awakened when Aeolis arrived to collect him. Ceri had informed him the youngling was awake as she felt the tug of her spell when Olwa tried to leave his quarters. When Aeolis walked into Olwa’s quarters, he was dressed in his Ranger armor and the look on his face was not friendly at all. In fact, he looked much like the man Aeolis was before Ceri had banished the demon from him.

Aeolis noticed Olwa had changed his clothes and he could tell Pela’s spell was still affecting him. Using their native language, he spoke in a clipped, authoritative voice to the younger Elf.

”You will come with me now.”

As Olwa stood up, Aeolis stepped aside for him to exit his quarters. Once they were clear the doorway, Aeolis stepped past Olwa and guided him from the trees to the gate and through the crowded space between the wall and the Keep proper.

As they walked, Aeolis said nothing to the young Elf. But his body language spoke volumes. Aeolis’ back was rigid straight, his steps were not stealth like and he never once turned to look over his shoulder at Olwa.

Aeolis led Olwa through the Keep, down several halls until they came to an open door and as Aeolis stepped inside, Olwa followed. Rayann and Pela were already there. Pela was clutching the clothes he gave her the night before and standing off to the left. She looked at him, then looked at Aeolis then at Rayann before looking back at Olwa. Pela hoped the look on her face and in her eyes told Olwa what her words couldn’t.

Again Aeolis spoke to Olwa in their native language as he pointed to the right side of the room

”Stand there”

Aeolis took his next to Rayann at the large table and stood there silently. The only one left now was Ceri and just as Pela thought that, the petite Elfess arrived and closed the door behind her then walked to stand on the other side of Aeolis.

Pela dared to look at Olwa before she looked back at the three before her and swallowed hard.

The hour of truth had arrived.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 pm

When Keatara stepped out her door to get ready for the days work with the children ahead, she encountered Gideon. He looked surprised to see her up and about so early and he quickly stood up and nodded a greeting to her, smiling.

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Gideon

”Good morrow to you, Tara. I didn’t expect to see you up and about yet.”

He saw Tara looking at his hands that were behind his back and when she looked back at him with a suspicious gaze, he hesitated a moment before bringing his hands out for her to see he was holding a hammer.

”I was in hopes I could repair this part of the fence before you stepped outside. I suppose that’s what I get for trying to be mysterious.”

He was about to say something else when Tanjee walked into the small compound and started to greet Tara then saw Gideon there with her.

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Healer

”Ah…there you are…I was just wondering how….last.,….night….”

Tanjee looked from Gideon to Tara a few times then got a sly look on her face and smiled like a raccoon.

”Well….I believe I have my answer. I did not mean to interrupt. By all means, carry on. I will be back in a bit.”

She turned and started to walk away when Gideon called to her.

”Wait! Tanjee….there’s no need to leave. I….I was just mending this part of the fence for Tara here. Then I will be on my way.”]

Tanjee gave him a sly grin and nodded.

”Of course you were.”

Gideon could see this was not giving him the results he was looking for. In fct, it seemed as if he was digging a deeper hole for himself. And if Trystan even THOUGHT he did anything with Tara, he would be digging sewer trenches until the day he died.

”My word, I just got here myself.”

Tanjee loked the fact she was making the Knight squirm and she glanced at Tara then back to Gideon and tilted her head, winking at the tall human male.

”Like I said, Sir Gideon, of course you were. Now….mend the fence and be on your way so I can talk to my friend here. You know….girly talk that would not concern a manly Knight such as yourself.”

Gideon shifted his weight from one foot to the other and glanced between the two women before him. He nodded nervously and knelt down to start mending the fence again. Striking his head in the process because he was moving so fast he grunted an ‘ow’ then set about mending the fence as he stated he would.

In the meantime, Tanjee took Tara’s hand and practically dragged her away from the man and over to the opposite side of the area. Glancing from time to time at Gideon as he hurriedly mended the fence, Tanjee grinned from ear to ear.

”The man is quite smitten with you, Tara. So tell me….how did it go last night after you left the dinner party?”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Olwa stood to attention when Aeolis entered and obeyed the Elfs instructions to the letter. As they walked he said nothing. He held his head high like any proud Silvanesti would but inside his guts were churning with what was about to happen.

As they made their way into the room he stood where Aeolis demanded and only when his Commander's back was turned did he look at Pela. His face screamed his regret at getting her into this, she could see the anguish in his eyes, the sadness in his expression and the apologetic overtone of his posture. He was truly and completely at a loose for how he would ever make it up to her.

He wanted to smile at her but he refrained for fear of rebuke from Rayann and Aeolis. With a very slow blink he inhaled deeply and turned back to look at them just as Aeolis turned around.

It was deathly silent and Ceridwyn appeared from behind them. In her hands was a silver bowl filled with water which she set on the table before them. She looked at Pela first and spoke softly, unlike Rayann and Aeolis her voice still had the slightest hint of softness to it, "Come."

Pela set the clothing down and walked over in front of Ceridwyn. The Elfess looked at her and spoke, "Place your finger in the water, control your magic, do not freeze it."

Pela looked up at her and did as she was told to do. The instant her finger hit the enchanted liquid a jolt entered her body. It wasn't painful but it wasn't exactly comfortable. Ceridwyn nodded and spoke again, "Thank-you, please return to your place."

As Pela was walking back to her spot Ceridwyn turned to Olwa, her voice lost it's softness. Perhaps it was that this was one of her kin and she expected a little more from him, or maybe it was that she knew Pela and was holding Olwa more responsible. Nobody would know for sure but her voice was different in it's tone, "Now you... come."

Olwa approached and looked at Ceridwyn, she gestured to the bowl and he placed his index finger within. He felt the jolt and it took everything he had to not withdraw his hand. Ceridwyn looked up and spoke, "Good, back to your place."

She looked into the bowl, placing her own finger into the liquid and swirling it gently. The room remained perfectly still and silent as she did so. Olwa chanced a glance at Pela but she was focused on what Ceridwyn was doing and didn't even seem to notice that he was glancing sideways at her. After several minutes Ceridwyn exhaled deeply and turned to look at Rayann, "Pela transported Olwa back to his room outside the audience chamber in the Keep last night and her plan was to take the entire blame for this incident."

She looked over at Pela, "This I knew last night when I gave her a second chance to tell us the truth."

She looked back to Rayann, "Pela gave us the truth last evening when she relayed Kali's message. Kali did in fact speak to the two of them and she did say what Pela said she did."

Ceridwyn turned her head to Olwa, "In light of the fact that this intelligence was brought back to us we must hold them in in congratulations and commend them for bringing us such valuable information," Pela's expression remained the same. She knew Ceridwyn well enough to understand that there was more coming, Olwa however did not and his face brightened and he smiled thinking that maybe they were off the hook, "However," she turned to look at Aeolis, "Olwa instigated this entire incident, it was his idea and by his invitation was Pela taken to the warding. This of course does not excuse her behavior for she too had the choice to go or stay, and though the innocence of youth and lure of curiosity is a factor it still does not absolve either of them from leaving the Keep at such an hour."

She looked at both of them and spoke, "I can not even begin to express how lucky you both should feel right now simply to be alive."

She took half a step back to give Rayann and Aeolis the floor. Her job to scry the information from them both and check it's accuracy was complete. The two of them had in fact been face to face with Kali, and what she said to them was indeed accurate.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Pela’s hand trembled slightly when she reached forward to touch the water. The jolt caused her brows to raise and if she had been a lesser person, she was certain she would have audibly indicated. As it was, she left her finger for however long Ceri needed her to. She held her breath as Olwa was called forward for the same sort of thing. She could see by his body language the sensation he felt when he touched the liquid wasn’t pleasant.

As he returned to stand where Aeolis had told him to, Pela’s vision was focused on Ceridwyn and the bowl she was studying. She knew what it was and her hands curled into tight fists as she wanted on pins and needles to find out what Ceridwyn was looking for.

When Ceri turned and gave her findings, she saw Olwa move slightly out the corner of her eyes and could see his smile but she knew he was reacting too early. As the truth of the whole ordeal was revealed, Pela felt her heart drop to her knees and stay there. As Ceri stepped back and Rayann stepped forward, Pela glanced at Aeolis and saw his anger as though it were a second skin he wore.

Rayann’s voice still held a firmness to it but the hard edge she had when she first saw Pela this morning was gone. Her words were still none the less painful for Pela to hear.

”Pela, free will isn’t to be taken lightly. While I know you’re still learning how all of this works, it’s plain to see you still lack a great deal of knowledge when it comes to making decisions. As with all things, there are rewards or consequences for your actions or lack thereof. As Ceri stated, the fact you are still alive after meeting Kali face to face is a blessing from the Gods. It’s no secret you already know this as well. So, as your punishment, you are to use all of your free time to study your spell books. When you are not practicing the spells with Ceridwyn and I, you are to have your nose in y our books. Do I make myself clear?”

Pela swallowed hard and nodded. Her voice was barely audible when she spoke.

”Yes ma’am.”

Rayann nodded stepped back and let Aeolis have the floor. The Elf had been fuming for quite a while and to hear Olwa was responsible for the chain of events that took place, he was even less happy. When he stood forward, his eyes bored into Olw’s and he was silent for a long moment. When he spoke, his voice was quiet but there was still a harsh edge to his words when he spoke to the younger Elf. He used common tongue so Pela would be able to hear what he said.

”It is painfully obvious you lack the discipline of your colleagues and the ability to make good decisions when left to your own thinking. The disappointment you have given me cannot be measured. So if it is discipline you lack, then it is discipline you shall receive.”

He glanced at Pela as he spoke to Olwa.

”You are to go nowhere without my permission. You are to talk to only those you have business with and your fellow kin. You will report to me before and after each assignment you are given. And your assignments will involve the company of others to insure you are not left alone. And you are not to have any contact with Pela unless it is in a general setting where there are those who can chaperone you both properly.”

He took a small step closer and narrowed his eyes as he lowered his voice and spoke in Elven to Olwa.

”In other words, you are not to be found alone with the young woman or else your punishment will include a long distance separation. You will collect your clothes from her before you leave the room but you say nothing past what manners require you to say.”

He stepped back and cleared his throat and reverted back to the common language.

”Do I make MY self clear?”

As Pela heard Aeolis hand down his punishment to Olwa, she felt her heart drop even further. Especially when Olwa was restricted to seeing her only in the company of others. Not that she minded, but she loved being able to speak to him privately. When Aeolis reverted to Elven, she didn’t understand what was being said and she glanced from Olwa to Ceridwyn and Rayann then back to Olwa before she looked back to the women again not understanding what Aeolis said but understanding there was a threat involved.

As Aeolis stepped back, Rayann nodded to Pela.

”Please give Olwa his clothes back, Pela.”

Without hesitation, Pela knelt down, picked up Olwa’s borrowed clothes and walked over to hand them to him. She could see the look in his eyes and on his face the punishment Aeolis handed out was quite severe.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Olwa closed his eyes as Aeolis told him the consequences of his actions. He squinted his almond shaped eyes to hold back the tears and could hear the harsh tones of his own father's voice in his head reflected in those of Aeolis. As Aeolis stepped back Olwa drew himself up and stared directly into Aeolis' eyes, "Uma Heruamin."

Aeolis would see that his words had cut deep and as Pela approached to hand him his clothing a single tear rolled down Olwas cheek but he said nothing. He wanted to say so much and his eyes would show it, but he dared not even attempt a missive for fear that the magi would detect it. He simply nodded and looked forward once again.

Ceridwyn stepped forward and looked at the two of them, "Very well. Pela, Olwa, you are dismissed."

Olwa almost sprung from his spot and left, but did leave Pela a final gesture as he held the door open for her. As she passed him she brushed the back of his hand ever so subtly and he smiled inwardly.

She went right and he went left, walking from the Keep and back to his quarters.\

Ceridwyn turned to Rayann and Aeolis. Her face reflected her grief that this whole event needed to take place. She inhaled deeply and looked Aeolis in the eyes. He would be able to tell from her gaze that she did not agree with what he had done, yet she did not, nor would she ever undermine his authority by saying a word, and she didn't.

She turned to Rayann and spoke, "The scrying was accurate, as was the account of their experience which they communicated to us. The real question here is was Kali attempting to warn us or threaten us."

Rayann looked at her curiously and was just about to speak when Ceridwyn interupted, "If either of you need me I will be in my study."

With that she faded to smoke and was gone. Neither of them would have felt it until the moment she left, she had cast a spell and was masking her emotions but a deep sadness lifted from the room the instant she was gone.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Aeolis locked gazes with Ceridwyn when she looked at him. He knew she wasn’t happy with the punishment he handed down to Olwa but he was in charge of a regiment of Rangers and he couldn’t show Olwa any sort of favoritism. Even though he was ready to thrash the young Elf thoroughly for what he’d done. And to make matters worse, Aeolis wasn’t so much angry at Olwa for doing what he did to end up in Kali’s tower as he was scared the young Ranger had almost gotten himself killed within his first few hours being out of Silvanesti lands.When Ceri left and the sadness lifted, he glanced at Rayann and shook his head.

”Is this what it is like being a parent, Rayann?”

Rayann nodded and looked at Aeolis. Reaching out and touching his arms gently, she gave him a soft smile.

”Yes. It is Aeolis. And I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it doesn’t get any better. Olwa will not do anything that foolish again, or at least I would hope not, but there will be other things he will do that will have you madder than a hornet. Just remember, he is young and he is learning as he goes along. Life didn’t come with all the knowledge we would ever need. He will learn good judgment in time. And that good judgment will come from making mistakes. Even Elves are not immune to that.”

Aeolis looked at her for a long moment as her words seeped into his mind. He and Ceri had discussed this whole issue after they left Olwa and while she had calmed his anger, when he heard the truth of the mater today, his anger flared once more and he let his anger speak more than anything.

Still, Aeolis had to make Olwa understand what was expected of him and his curiosity regarding the towers would have to be curbed. Otherwise, another mistake like this would prove to be his last. With a heavy sigh, Aeolis smiled slightly to Rayann and nodded.

”Well, it seems as if I have to follow through on my word and assign the youngling his tasks. If you will excuse me…”

Rayann nodded and as Aeolis turned to leave, Rayann spoke softly again.

”Remember, Aeolis, you were young once too.”

Aeolis stopped moving and turned his head to glance at Rayann then turned and walked off again. On his walk back to the Elves, Aeolis thought about everything that happened and by the time he reached the trees hs brow was furrowed deeply. It was a fine line he walked. Too harsh and Olwa would be pushed away. Too soft and Olwa would think everything he did was perfectly fine. So how did one strike balance in this?

That was the real question indeed.

When Aeolis reached Olwa’s quarters, he was still confused as to rather or not he did the right thing. Taking a deep breath, he tried to clear his mind before he spoke to the Elf again. Finally he called to Olwa. His tone still had that authoritative tone to it but the harsh edge was gone. He sounded much like he did when Olwa first arrived.

”Olwa. Join me on the perimeter of the trees.”

Rayann watched Aeolis leave and sighed. These two young ones were going to have a rough road ahead of them for the next few days. With any luck and blessing from the Gods, they would make it over these next few days and see the consequences of their actions had to be dealt with. Picing up the hems of her robes, she went in search of Pela. Finding the girl in her quarters with her spell book open, Rayann walked over and sat down next to her. Pela lifted her head to look into the lavender eyes of Rayann. Rayann felt the emotions Pela was feeling and she knew the girls was struggling terribly. It was time for Rayann to step up and be this girls surrogate mother. And Pela needed it more than ever right now.

Reaching out and drawing Pela into a hug, she felt the girl bristle for a moment then she felt Pela collapse against her and start to sob. Rayann stroked Pela’s head and let the girl cry for as long as she wished knowing it was the best thing for her right now.

After a while, Pela stopped crying and sniffled softly before she sat back up again. Her puffy eyes were even redder than before as she wiped the last of her tears away. Rayann gave her a soft smile and touched her cheek tenderly.

”Welcome to the human race, Pela.”

Pela sniffled again as she looked to Rayann.

”I do not like this part.”

Rayann couldn’t help but chuckle softly.

”Believe it or not, you will look back on this day when you are older and see it was one of the best days of your life. It may not seem like it now, but it will be.”

Pela looked confused and before she could ask what Rayann meant, Rayann stood up and took Pela’s hand so she would too.

”Let me see if Ceri is in the mood for company yet.”

Pela nodded and Rayann reached out with her mind to speak to Ceri’s mind.

~Ceri? Could you use some company yet?~
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Olwa sat on his bed. It was comfortable and soft, much like his bed at home in Silvanost, but without the strict rules of his parents home, or so he thought. He leaned forward with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. He inhaled and exhaled deeply, trying to stay calm and remain centered.

He reflected on his actions last night and he knew that what he did was wrong, more than wrong, it was inappropriate and stupid. He berated himself and cursed under his breath, the first taste of freedom and already he had a sore stomach from too much. He was smarter than this and he made a personal vow that he would never again step out of line or take the stance that he knew best until he was older and wiser.

At the same time, Aeolis' voice echoed in his head, but he saw the face of his father in his minds eye. The image of his Father standing over him and lecturing him harshly about the tradition and the obligation of his heritage to remain true to the army of Silvanost, to give up the silly hobby of poetry, song and painting and to get serious about his life.

Suddenly the voice of his commander broke the silence, he immediately stood and saluted, placing his open palm over his heart and nodding his head at Aeolis words, "Uma Heruamin."

He reached and quickly retrieved his bow and quiver, slung them over his shoulder and was at Aeolis' side in a matter of seconds. He waited for Aeolis to lead the way.

Ceridwyn sat in solitude for a long time. She had removed her silk shoes and had curled up in her favorite chair. It was massive compared to her small frame and almost seemed to swallow her up when she tucked her knees up under herself and settled in. She had opened the windows to let the cool breeze in and a cup of steaming hot honey mint tea sat beside her on the table. She had her nose in her spell book when Rayann's missive had come and there was silence for a few seconds.

Her voice was soft and sounded as if she was exhausted, in a way she was but she responded, "There is always time and welcome for you my friend."

In a matter of mere seconds Rayann and Pela were standing in her study. She looked at them and closed her spell book, placing it on the table and standing to her feet. She half smiled and spoke softly again, "Would either of you care for some tea?"

Rayann would be able to see that the burden on Ceridwyn's mind was especially heavy today and the feelings of sadness were replaced with confusion and obligation to figure out what in the abyss was going on right now with Kali and her message to the younglings.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Aeolis moved along the treeline until he reached the Northern post. Nodding his head to the Ranger already on post there, the Ranger nodded and disappeared into the trees leaving Aeolis and Olwa there alone. For the longest time, Aeolis looked over the landscape letting his keen eyes see if anything different was out there. Finally he began to speak, keeping his voice low so Olwa’s ears were the only ears his voice reached. Gone was the harshness he used earlier when dealing with the younger Elf. Now all Owa heard was the concern of someone who cared for him.

”This is not Silvanost, Olwa. I know you are curious about the towers and the mages within, but we are not the ones with the upper hand here. Kali told you herself she and the other mages are aware of everything that is happening on Krynn. Here, the mages are the Elves in the trees and we are the clumsy humans trying to be quiet yet knowing our efforts are futile.”

He turned to look at the younger Elf. His green eyes had lost their hostile gaze.

”Think further into the future when you plan anything. You cannot make all decisions based on the here and now. You have to take into account the ripple effect your decisions will have. Not just on you, but on others. Pela was fully willing to take the blame for everything and spare you. It was the first time any of us had seen her think of someone else besides her self and that in of itself is a very important mile stone. It is as clear as the nose on your face you have had an effect upon her. You need to make sure it remains positive for she could easily be swayed to align herself with others that are beyond the borders of Heartlund.....and Silvanost.”

He looked out over the landscape again as he continued.

”I do not want to see anything happen to you, or her. You are both young and have long lives ahead of you. And I need not remind you how close those lives came to being prematurely ended with what happened.”

He turned to look at Olwa fully then. His eyes studied Olwa's and his voice took on a different tone. One like that of a father speaking to his son about something very personal.

”You have been blessed and you should honor this blessing by remembering who you are and what you have been taught to do thus far. And I do not mean that soley in an Elven sense. I mean that as to who you are personally. Do not let a moment of irrational thinking rob you from a lifetime of happiness.”

Aeolis let his eyes hold Olwa's for a long moment before he turned to leave, placing his hand gently on Olwa's shoulder and squeezing lightly.

"This is your post for the day. Be vigilant and use the time wisely."

With that, he left the young man to ponder his thoughts and disappeared into the foliage of the trees as silent as a wraith

Rayann looked at Pela and nodded towards an empty chair on the opposite side of the room. Pela nodded and walked over to sit down and open her spell book and begin her studying once more. Rayann watched the young woman for a moment then turned to look at Ceri and sat down in a chair next to Ceri's, sighing heavily.

"I knew you were thinking about the message Kali gave the young ones. I've been thinking about it as well. Obviously there was a reason why Kali let them go so quickly with her message. And as her m other, I can't help but wonder if somehow the Kali we both knew is still there somewhere. But we'll never be able to tell."

Rayann sipped the tea that had been prepared for her as she sat back and thought about the message again.

"I believe she was warning us about the next battle that is looming on the horizon. We were ill prepared for the losses we suffered because of the creatures patrolling the towers grounds. And to let us know dragons are coming. But what dragons?"
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Olwa followed Aeolis and the depth of his training was obvious in that Aeolis never heard him once during their movement to the treeline.

As the other elf was relieved Olwa sat near Aeolis and followed the training pattern that had been drilled into him. He studied the lines of the landscape, noting everything that existed in it, where it lay and how it affected the other things in its surroundings. He was new to this place so it took some time but he mapped the whole area. It was almost as if Aeolis knew exactly how much time it took for right as he was getting comfortable with knowing what was out there in front of him his commanders voice broke the silence.

Olwa listened at first without taking his eyes off the landscape, as he spoke of their situation, that they were in fact at a major disadvantage Olwa turned to look at him. As Aeolis' turned and their eyes met Olwa listened, but his face had lost some of the youthful glow and cheer, he was like marble, staring into the face of his military commander. Slowly however his face softened and he listened to what Aeolis had to say. he pondered the words and nodded to indicate that he understood. In his mind he was reeling with irresponsible and insubordinate responses, if he was such a great influence on Pela then why was the punishment to be banished from her? If there had been a surfacing of something that none of them had ever seen then why was their reaction to snuff it out? Were they truly content to watch a milestone, as he put it, go by with no more response then to crush the one who brought that about?

He remained silent and buried his thoughts, he knew that he was wrong... maybe, but for now he would be the Ranger that he was expected to be, he would adhere to the training and the instruction he had been given, he would be Aeolis' subordinate and do as he was told.

Aeolis spoke to him like he cared, and maybe he did, but Olwa questioned everything in his mind. How could Aeolis be so concerned and care so deeply, they had only met not but 21 hours ago. Connections aren't made that quickly, ever... or where they. He thought about the instant connection he had with Pela, how they both had stars in their eyes at a first glance, but no, that was different, this was a commander who was to drill into him the training and the specialization of the mighty elven rangers... what ox shit. Frankly he was sick of it, he wanted to vomit the contents of his stomach onto the ground and with it he hoped that every medal and achievement of the damn training he had been forced to attend would come up with it and he would be rid of it all.

He inhaled deeply, now he was being foolish. He was born to a station, with that came responsibility and duty. He nodded and as Aeolis finished he responded with the only words that were necessary, the only thing that commanders wanted to hear when they had given instruction and orders, "Uma Heruamin."

When he knew Aeolis was out of sight and he was truly alone he buried his face in his hands and sobbed quietly to himself. He had a long life ahead of him, that much of what Aeolis had said was certain, and now he was stuck in a land he didn't know, with people he didn't know, doing a job he didn't necessarily love... was this the military? Was this what his father loved so much?

Ceridwyn didn't say anything for a very long time. She simply sat and listened to Rayann as she spoke. She kept her eyes on Rayann however, and her friend would know that she had been listening to every word. Finally she spoke, "Kali has always been a mystery, to both of us. Even though you are her mother we have both never been had true insight into her heart. Where does her allegiance lay? If it is with Lunitari as we thought, does the goddess approve of what she is doing? If it did but now she has turned to darkness but does not wear the black robes, has she become so unpredictable that we will just spin our heads in contemplation of her next move but never truly see?"

She inhaled deeply and sipped her tea. She drew her legs back up beneath her and her small, painted toenails disappeared beneath her robes, "Was it a warning or a rabbit trail? How in the Abyss would she know dragons are coming? We know that dragons of the Dark Lady are marauding the northern areas, razing everything that resists the forces of Tahkisis to the ground, she knows we know this. Metallic dragons are on Krynn, we know this, Nol was proof of that. The Isle of Mists is their refuge, but they have remained silent, why would they make a move now?"

"If it is the Dragon's of the Dark Queen's army it makes sense that in response to Piramay and Fifth leaving her service she would send her most heavy forces to knock the towers to the ground and destroy them. Maybe what she is saying is that we would see opportunity to attack in the chaos it created... however, would it truly be a battle of the common enemy, or would the fighting simply continue in the middle? Does she know that if we united with the Dark Ladies forces we COULD fell the towers and to prevent that she is seeding deception and misleading us to believe we would be slaughtered where we stand?"

She inhaled deeply and Rayann would see that her mind was simply spinning with all the what if's, "There is also the possibility that it IS metallic dragons, and that the end result would be the same, that inevitably we will all die in the power of their magic. Or is that enough, and again she is seeding doubts to give us pause, to wait and to resist the urge to fight. Morale is a major player in war, and if she can seed deception it would loosen morale enough to give them an advantage."

Ceridwyn turned to look at Rayann, her eyes were deep with thoughts, "They are still magi at heart, their power can only flow through them for so long before they are exhausted, or dead. Is Kali really giving us this message in an attempt to save us... or herself?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons   Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ch 20: Of Towers and Dragons
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next