Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment

Go down 
+2
SinTara
zinsk
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Empty
PostSubject: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  EanBanner

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  LexyBanner

Ean and Lexy walked through Liberty Park. Their van was in the overflow parking lot, close to the old, abandoned station that once was the depart and arrival tracks for the railway. Ean was carrying the massive duffel bag, and Lexy followed close, watching the area with her keen eyes for signs of trouble. They said nothing, meeting eyes with no one, making a straight path for the locked service gate.

Ean stopped and looked around as Lexy stepped up, removing the key and unlocking the heavy chain, she whispered to Ean, “Do you think they managed to find a way in?”

Ean smiled and winked, “If there is one thing I know about Jericho, he’s resourceful.”

They stepped in and closed the gate, locking it behind them. As they made their way to the entrance Ean knocked and whispered the password, the concrete parted in front of them and Ean stepped down into the stairway, Lexy close behind. Just as they got out of view from the area above them, the ring of steel echoed through the stairwell as Lexy drew her sword. Ean stepped slowly, his arm holding the massive duffel over one shoulder, his hand on the hilt below his coat with the other.

Side stepping he came to the bottom of the long stairwell and looked into the first room of the bunker. The facility was large, and comfortable, designed to be a safe house for these exact same situations. He looked down the long, main hallway that lead all the way under the Hudson River, 8 foot thick reinforced concrete kept the water back with no effort. A light near the end where the kitchen was located glowed into the hall. He smiled as he looked back at Lexy and they proceeded quickly, walking into the kitchen, seeing Jericho and Tae sitting at one of tables, eating. As the cousins looked up and Ean smiled at Jericho, his friend stood and they embraced like brothers, hugging one another tightly. Ean leaned back, both hands on Jericho’s shoulders and spoke, “Bloody Hell Jericho, you got your bollocks kicked in aye?”

He looked at Lexy who sheathed her sword and shook her head in bemusement. She hadn’t seen either of the cousins for about six years, they both looked larger and more handsome than the last time she had seen them. She walked up to Jericho, no longer the 14 year old he once knew and smiled at him, “Well, this is nothing I can no fix.”

She looked at Tae, “How about you Tae? How are you feeling?”

Jericho looked from Lexy to Ean with a small air of surprise and Ean smiled, “She’s become a war healer, deadly with her blade without a doubt, but she is learning the magic of healing from Lizzy.”

He looked at Jericho again and shook him by the shoulders with a smile, “Bloody HELL it is good to see you again!! Once Lexy has you patched up we will need to talk about what happened.”

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  ElizabethBanner

Aurora came out from her comfortable room. The entire structure under the tower sprawled underground in all directions. She had ben given a suite with Lizzy, two sleeping chambers that shared a common room and a bathroom. Lizzy was already on a chair, her legs tucked up against her chest and under a wool blanket, reading her book. She looked up as she heard Aurora and smiled, “Good morning lass. How did you sleep?”

Aurora shrugged softly and Lizzy smiled sympathetically, “I know lass, I know. It’s hard having so many unanswered questions, but Aidan can help. We arrived too late last night for him to really get a chance to start the process, but before I came to bed last night he said to meet him for breakfast and we would start straight away.”

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  AidanBanner

The two ladies got ready and headed down to the eating chamber. It was large and smelled of wonderful foods being prepared in a kitchen to the side. The room looked like it would hold about 60 people and was about half full at the moment. Aidan immediately stood as they entered and came over to them, his face was wise and full of discernment, “Good morning ladies. I trust and hope you slept well?”

He gestured to the table and spoke, “Please join me when you have gotten some breakfast, we will need a good meal before we get started today.”

He smiled and went back to his chair. Lizzy and Aurora went through the chow que and went to join Aidan. As they made their way over Lizzy whispered, “It is an honor of honors to sit with a Master Wizard, by tradition it is only to be done on an invitation. Don’t be surprised if we draw some attention just by being at his table.”

The two ladies sat and joined him, he was sipping coffee, watching them as the made their way. When they sat he waited for them to get settled and then spoke, “It is going to be an exciting day!”
Back to top Go down
http://www.zinsk.com
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora gave Lizzy a small smile as she followed her through the chow que, placing very little on her plate. Her stomach was in knots and she wasn't sure that anything she ate was going to sit well. Lizzy's words on drawing attention didn't help either and she noticed that they were being curiously stared at as they sat down with Aidan. She frowned at Aidan's words of the day being excited, unsure how to take it. She found it rather foreboding if what she'd already remembered was any indication of what was to come. But at the same time, she wanted her memories open so that she would finally know what she was. Even though Lexy and Lizzy had reassured her that she was Sentinel and good she still worried about her Druid blood. She closed her eyes for a brief second then opened them again, not seeing the eating hall any longer but her beloved mountains.

~She was standing within the trees, petting a beautiful white tail doe and her twin fawns. It was early summer and she breathed in deeply of the scent of fresh dirt, trees and fragrant flowers. She was about sixteen now and had become a beautiful young woman dressed in her doeskin pants and shirt with her soft doeskin boots. Harold was stopping by more often to check on them, making sure all was well. He'd even chased away two other mountain men who'd thought that Aurora would be easy prey for lonely men. She smiled at the thought of how protective Harold was and wondered if her own father would have been the same. The doe perked her ears, the delicate tips rotating as she stomped her hoof. Aurora was also instantly alerted to the change in the gentle creature, sensing a threat. "Go, sweet one...take your little ones and hide", she said to the doe and her fawns. The deer gave a snort, alerting her twins and the three of them disappeared into the trees, leaving Aurora alone. She bent to pick up her small basket of herbs, acting as if nothing was amiss when she heard the footsteps and the two men from a few days earlier stepped out from behind some brush.

"Well...lookee here....if it ain't Miss Aurora. How are ya, Miss Aurora? My, but you sure are looking purty", the youngest one said to her as the older one circled behind her. She smiled at them, unsure in the ways of men but instinctively knowing that they meant her harm. "I am fine, Jake.....gathering herbs for Momma's healing stores. How are you and your brother?" She turned as if to head back to the cabin when Jake's brother blocked her way, his stench all but gagging her. "We are just fine, Miss Aurora....ain't we Jake. And we're about to feel a whole better", his brother said to her with an evil look in his eyes. "That we are, Bill...gonna feel a whole lot better soon." Aurora's smile faded as the two closed in on her and she dropped the basket and withdrew her hunting knife from it's sheath hanging low on her thigh. She brandished it like pro, crouching down in a defensive posture, making sure that she knew where both of them were. "Now, come on you two. We grew up together......why are you doing this?" But the brothers didn't answer her as they licked their lips, leering at her. Bill rushed her, drawing her attention towards him as she struck out with her blade, cutting deep into his right forearm as she turned just as quickly to focus on Jake who had tried to grab her from behind. "Now why'd you go and do that, Aurora....that was just a might rude of you. And it hurt.....I guess growing up wild you didn't learn a woman's place. Well...Jake and I will gladly teach you." Just when Jake rushed her, she struck out at him as Bill grabbed her, all but breaking her wrist to get her to let go of her blade. She was thrown up against a tree, the breath being knocked out of her lungs and then she was on the ground, Jake holding her arms above her head. She screamed~

Sitting at the table with Lizzy and Aidan, Aurora shook...her eyes glazed over as if she were in a trance one hand gripping her butter knife in a death grip.

~She fought them, but they were both strong and had her pinned. Suddenly, she went still, staring up into Bill's eyes and began to chant. It wasn't Mohican....nor was it any language she was familiar with but she knew it as well as she knew how to speak English. She repeated the words over and over, growing in strength each time as Bill's eyes widened, fear replacing the lust. He let go of her, backing up as she continued chanting when his body began to steam, smoke rising from his clothing as his skin reddened. Jake released her as well, rushing to his brother when her mother burst out of the trees along with Harold. But she didn't notice....she just kept chanting, staring at Bill as his skin grew redder and began to bubble.

"AURORA!! STOP!! STOP!! YOU'LL KILL HIM!!!", her mother screamed at her but she didn't stop. Her slim body shook with the fear they'd instilled into her when suddenly Harold was in front of her, cradling her face in his huge hands. "Rory..lass....look at me. Ye need ta stop, child. Ye're safe now....they canna hurt you. Release him from the burning spell, lassie.....ye're safe." She stopped chanting them and Bill collapsed to the ground, first and second degree burns covering his face and neck and disappearing beneath his shirt. She shook violently then and began to vomit at what she'd almost done, her mother staring at her with pity and worry. "She must be made to forget, Harold. It's the only way."~

Aurora's whole body shook at the breakfast table as tears trailed down her cheeks. She looked up at Lizzy and then over at Aidan, her dark eyes filled with self loathing and a lot of fear at what she'd just remembered. "I almost killed him....if I'm a Sentinel, then how could I have almost killed him?", she whispered more to herself than anyone else. When Lizzy covered her hand with her own she grasped hers in a death grip as if Lizzy was her only hold on her sanity at the moment. That was when a name slipped past her lips, one she didn't even realize she'd said, "Ean", was all she said. Not Sionn but Ean. Then she was being led by Lizzy who followed Aidan to another room where she sat down and told them what she'd remembered. "I was going to burn him alive", she said at the end, tears flowing down her cheeks.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 4:09 pm

As Aurora sat at the table and mumbled, clearly lost in a deep memory, Lizzy went to touch her and wake her. Aidan reached across quickly and shook his head whispering, “She is in no harm Lizzy, save any pain the memory will cause her to recollect… but there is no harm physically that can come from it.”

Lizzy furrowed her eyebrows and waited. As Aurora squeezed her hand and whispered her brothers name she looked at Aidan who nodded and they helped her up and took her to a very comfortable room. Warm and inviting, it didn’t feel in any way like it was underground. Looking around Aurora would quickly begin to see that this was Aidan’s office for lack of a better word. Magical books and scrolls were everywhere. A picture of twins girls sat on his desk, both with jet black hair, looking like they were around 15 years old.

They had her lay on a comfortable leather sofa and after she had finished retelling her memory Aidan turned to Lizzy, “Would you mind fetching a pitcher of water?”

Lizzy nodded her head and spoke, “Of course Master Aidan.”

He nodded in thanks and then sat down beside the couch in a leather arm chair. He reached over and grabbed an old metronome. It looked as fragile and delicate as it was old. He wound it and then set the time before placing it on the table beside him and pressing in the arm. Swining in perfect time the metronome ticked softly as he looked at her and finally spoke, “What do you want to be?”

She looked at him curiously and he smiled, brining his hand up, “For now, let’s call that a rhetorical question, but one that you will sooner or later be forced to answer. I would warn you that the longer you take however, the harder the answer will come.”

Lizzy returned with the water and set it beside Aidan. He smiled and nodded, “Thank you Lizzy.”

She seemed slightly uncertain as to what she should do next and he smiled, gesturing to another chair, “You may sit Lizzy, by all means I would love for you to stay.” She smiled a thank you and sat down, staying completely silent, allowing Aidan to work.

Aidan took a glass and poured a small amount of water in it and handed it to Aurora, “Drink this, it will help.”

Aurora took the glass and brought it to her lips, the water literally smelled refreshing, and as she sipped she could feel the cool of it all the way down. He smiled as her face softened and he nodded, “Good… now, there are many ways we can go about this. Your lineage and parentage notwithstanding, how, in this room, right now, would you answer my question? What do you, Aurora, WANT to be?”

Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora looked directly into Aidan's eyes and answered him without hesitation, "Sentinel....I WANT to be a Sentinel. It feels right.....it is right", but the fear was there in her dark eyes. "But I almost killed him, sir.....what Sentinel does that?" She was clearly distraught over what she'd remembered, not thinking about the fact that she was defending herself.

She looked over at Lizzy, "That spell I did when I was sixteen, I remember that it drained me...dangerously. I collapsed shortly after that and I know it was Druid magick that I used. But it almost killed me. I don't ever want to feel that again....I don't want to hurt someone like that again." She was then looking at Aidan, "I am a Sentinel....but my druid blood terrifies me."
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Aidan leaned back in his chair and scratched his chin out of habit as she answered. He smiled and spoke, “If you want to be Sentinel, then you are Sentinel.”

She looked at him and he shrugged, “It’s really that easy, there is no magic to it. Just because you have any sort of blood within you, you are what you choose to be.”

He could see her face buzzing with questions. He leaned forward and folded his hands in front of his legs as he leaned his elbows on his knees, “And… I will tell you exactly what type of Sentinel kills, the one who is defending the innocent. Do you think that Ean or Lexy have never killed?”

Aurora stared at him and he nodded, “In a way, it is a Sentinel’s job to kill. I don’t mean absent mindedly or out of malice and hatred, but it is the job of the protectors to do whatever is necessary to defend those who can not help themselves. You protected the doe and her twin fawns without worrying if that were the correct path, what then makes you hesitate at your decision to protect yourself? Is it self-loathing? Do you hate yourself?”

He leaned back and looked at her, “Evil acts require response, not reaction, not revenge, response. If you respond in defense, if you act to prevent evil from perpetuating itself or spreading to the innocent, then you ARE acting as a Sentinel.”

He looked at her as she spoke about her Druidic blood terrifying her and he shrugged, “There is nothing to be scared of, it doesn’t define you. It is no different than having black hair or brown eyes, it is a small part of a greater whole. If you focus on it as a weakness then it will be. If however, you shift your thinking and see it as a great strength, the it will be.”

He smiled as she looked up at him, “Use the tools you have been given… don’t fear them.”
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora was thoughtful for a few minutes as she sipped at her water then she spoke. "Okay...I am a Sentinel. My druid blood is not a curse or a weakness.....well, unless I use it. That spell I did almost killed me. But what about my memories? What about what my mother did in blocking them? And.....am I a freak?", the last she asked in a whisper. "My mother said that none like me has been born that she knows of. Is that true?" She looked over at Lizzy and saw her look of understanding at her question. "And Lizzy said that I can help the side of good.....how? I am just me.....how can I help other than with the bow?"
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 5:31 pm

Aidan smiled and spoke, “I never said using magic would kill you.”

Aurora looked up at him, and Lizzy looked up from her spell book with shock on her face. Lizzy spoke, “Master Aidan, if she casts while holding steel the spell will fry her!”

He looked at Lizzy and smiled, “I never said it wouldn’t.”

She looked from Aidan to Aurora and back again, “Then how??”

Aidan looked at her and spoke, “I think the answer is so simple you are over looking it.”

She furrowed her brows and spoke, “Don’t hold steel?”

He shrugged his shoulders and Aurora spoke, “But it almost killed me.”

Aidan nodded and spoke, “You’re right, but a spell of that magnitude cast by an untrained individual would almost kill anybody.”

They both now looked at him, then each other, then to him, “Master, what is it you are saying? I am sorry, maybe the answer is just eluding me.”

He smiled and stood, “Indeed it is.”

Walking over to his shelves he began looking at the books, tracing his finger along the shelf as he spoke, “Magical ability is learned, just like learning to swing a sword, charge a weapon, drive a car… whatever. Training, patience and training, dedication and perseverance.”

He pulled a book off the shelf and walked back over to the chair and sat, Lizzy looked at him and spoke, “So she should cast spells?”

Aidan shrugged, “Why not? She has the talent and ability.”

“Just not when holding steel.” Lizzy said thoughtfully…

“Or learn to even, overcome that,” Lizzy looked up at him and instinctively shook her head, “How?”

Aidan shrugged as he smiled whimsically, “I don’t know, I can’t do it.”

He looked at Aurora, “But I would certainly love to help someone might be able to.”

He handed the book to her, it was deep green, etched into the cover was a native American dream catcher in thin lines of gold. She looked at it and tried to open it but the book was sealed closed and wouldn’t budge, he smiled and spoke, “Lesson one, open the book.”
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora was still somewhat lost in what was being said between Aidan and Lizzy and it showed. Especially when Aidan handed her the beautiful book that she couldn't open. "How? It's sealed?", she asked him as she turned the book over and over, looking at it. She wasn't sure what she was doing as she studied the book, feeling along it's edges and seams, trying to figure out how to open it when it came to her.

She lay the book down on the table in front of her and laid her hands on the dream catcher. Closing her eyes she took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled, clearing her mind as she did so and calming her spirit. It was something her mother had taught her...a form of meditation only this was cleansing and calming. While her eyes were closed, her fingers on her right hand began to trace the dream catcher clock-wise. Once done there was a 'clicking' noise and the book opened. She opened her eyes, looking at the pages then looked up at Aidan. "What am I looking at, sir? I don't understand?"
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Aidan looked at her, he didn't say a word, and neither did Elizabeth. As Aurora looked over the book and contemplated it Aidan merely observed. When she did what she did he looked over at Elizabeth with a raised eyebrow, clearly impressed that she figured it out so quickly. When she opened the book and saw the blank pages, speaking her words to him he leaned forward and spoke, "What you see is a world of possibilities, still unlearned and waiting to be explored."

Aurora furrowed her brows at him and he smiled as he nodded, "You are looking at your new spell book Aurora, waiting for you to write the story within. You are a Sentinel, but you also have magic in you. Now, your mother is correct that you are the only one born of your kind that SHE knows of, but in truth history has many prominent figures that had a parent on one side of the fence," the metronome ticked
"and one on the other."

Aurora leaned forward, her face showing her interest. Aidan stood up again and began to walk around the room, his feet in perfect time with the ticking metronome on the table beside the chair, "Life, is full of rhythms, a beat that keeps things in synch and in time with one another. We see it in the natural balance, the trickle of water, the beating of the heart, everything comes back to a rhythm, and order. Without order it would be chaos and with chaos comes death. In the midst of the struggle, darkness, light, are the neutrals, those who strive to stand in the middle, like your beloved, Sionn McGhee."

How did he know all this about her....

He kept walking, his feet padding softly on the ground on each beat, "If you are what I think you are, well, yes, you are a freak." He looked at her, "But what is a freak? Is it a reality? Is it what defines you? Or is it merely a label, placed by societal standards of what the status quo would refer to as 'normal'. If you don't fit outside those norms, then perhaps it is jealousy that would cause people to say this about you. I suppose from my perspective the other labels that I would affix are, special, unique, gifted, limitless...," he turned and looked at her with a coy smile and a raised eyebrow. "You see Aurora, it is your choice to decide where this takes you. I can guide you, Ean can guide you, Elizabeth here is certainly capable of guiding you, even Sionn could guide you... but in the end, it is you that will determine your path, you don't HAVE to do anything except die, and make decisions."

He circled around and stopped directly in front of her, the instant his foot hit the ground the metronome stopped, "So I will ask you again Aurora, what do YOU want to be?" He raised his eyebrows with a fatherly type smile and looked her directly in the eye, waiting for her answer.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:55 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora looked up at Aidan, nodding in understanding. "I want to be first and foremost.....myself. True to myself. Which means that I am a Sentinel. I want to be a Sentinel. It is who I am. It is who I want to be." It was then that she realized what she knew all along deep within her heart. "I am a Sentinel and yet I am more, sir. Because of my druid father, I can do what Lizzy cannot and still wield spells. I can use a sword....I can use a dagger and it will not burn me." She could only hope that what she felt and what she was saying was indeed true. She had used a sword though. When she ran from Ean's house to rescue the doe from the goblins. She'd not been burned then.

She looked down at the blank pages, "What do I write in this? Every time I have wielded a spell it has come from somewhere deep within me and once it is over I cannot remember it...at least I couldn't before. What do I do now? How do I get my memories back?"
Back to top Go down
Seraphim
Watchman
Watchman
Seraphim

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 am

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Jared-leto-3-1

Jericho certainly seemed to be in good spirits, laughing and embracing his old friend.  Truth be told, the adrenaline was still flowing through him from the escape, and, well, it was hard to find Jericho Lake in a much better mood than after a successful battle.  

"Come on now, Ean, you've seen me in much worse shape than this.  This is barely rose than a papercut!"  He flashed a grin and a wink toward Lexy then, motioning with his thumb to Taeryn, who was clearly the worse for wear of the duo.  "I promise you that I'll survive.  Besides, I like a little reminder of my pain, gives me a bit of an incentive when I next fight.  This one over here, though, he's practically weeping into his glass."

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Brad57-1-1

Taeryn had remained seated, though he had tipped the glass that was in his left hand, half full of what could only be whiskey, toward Lexy and Ean in greeting.  In the starker light of the bunker, it was plain to see the lines of dried blood that ran down to his jawline from his eyes, still beneath that crimson stained bandanna.

"Aye, tha's only because I'm wishin' this was a fine aged single malt."  He took a healthy swig of the glass and set it down to the tabletop carefully.  The pack of stolen cigarettes, already half gone, was on the table in front of him, and after one missed grab, he snagged it and pulled another of the thin cylinders free. He placed it between his lips, produced a lighter, and after touching the end of the smoke with his finger to locate it, flicked the flame alight and took a slow drag, exhaling before speaking again.  

"I certainly wouldn' try an' be so heroic as Jericho.  I cook' definitely do withou' m'bruises.  But, unless ye can regrow eyes, I'd nae look underneath this rag on m'face, lass."

At his words, Jerichos smile faltered a bit.  He'd seen what was under there.  It wasn't pretty, and truthfully, short of a miracle, he doubted that Taeryn would ever be taking in any more sunrises.  The sheer anger over that fact was plain to see on his face.  Algernon would pay for that.  An eye for an eye, and all that.  Well, two eyes, in this case.  He clenched his jaw briefly, before shaking it off and looking back to Ean and Lexy.

"It's good to see you both as well.  It's been far too long, and it's a pity these are the circumstances in which we have to meet.  The mad Poe took the tower.  I'm not truly sure why, nor am I sure of what's become of our grandmother."

At this, Taeryn muttered a curse and took another slug of his whiskey, chased by a drag of his cigarette.  Jericho looked his way briefly, before returning to the others.  

"What of you two?  What's going on in the world of the MacGregors these days?  And furthermore, where do you suggest we go from here?"
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Lexy looked sideways at Jericho as she walked passed him, not answering his question, there was someone who needed healing and she was going to go straight to it. Turning her attention to Taeryn she sat down beside him. He recoiled slightly as she touched the bandage and she spoke, “It’s fine lad, I have seen worse I am certain.” As she began to work Ean sat with Jericho and told him some of the things that had transpired in the last few weeks. The arrival of Aurora, her training and being of mixed blood, the attack just yesterday by the Mountain Trolls and goblins, everything in extreme detail.

Lexy lifted the bandage and grimaced softly as she looked at Taeryn’s crushed eyes. She turned and looked at Ean, not saying a word but her face said it all, this was beyond her. She spoke softly to Taeryn, “Everything’s gon’a be fine lad…”

She reached into her vest and removed one of the blue vials, uncorking it and dipping her finger inside. She withdrew it and spoke, “This will feel a wee bit cool.”

She drug her finger gently around the upper and lower lids, concaved due to the absence of an eyeball underneath. Tae winced slightly but let her work. The scraps, cuts and tears healed almost instantly, but anywhere the salve made contact with the ruptured eyes, nothing happened.

After about five minutes she stood and patted him gently on the shoulder, placing the vile back in her vest and walking over to Jericho, gesturing for him to follow. She took him down the hall, making Ean stay behind. As they got out of ear shot she looker up at him and spoke, “He is beyond my abilities to heal Jericho, I am still young in this art, only having a year of training. I can heal wounds, cuts, poisons, infections, things of that nature, but missing pieces… I am afraid there is not I can do.”

She reached out without saying a word and hugged Jericho tightly, “I am sorry.”

She brushed passed him and went back to the room, Ean was rummaging through one of the bags he had brought in with them. He lifted out a bottle of unopened 18 year old Aberlour and threw it to Jericho as he walked into the room, “For the two of you mate.”

Jericho caught the bottle out of the air and Ean turned to look at Lexy who was on the verge of tears, she looked up at him as she started to put the bags back into some sense of order, but remained silent.

Aidan smiled and nodded at Aurora, “As smart as a whip this one is.”

He turned and looked at Elizabeth who beamed and then back to Aurora, “Now, we should not get too far ahead of ourselves. Yes, you can hold steel, and yes, you can cast, but we must concentrate and take only one step at a time. Just because you CAN do something doesn’t always mean that you should.”

He walked over and sat on the couch beside her. He placed his finger in the middle of the book, “This,” He pressed the book with his index finger, “Is connected with this,” He gently touched the side of her head on the temple. “What you learn as we progress, will need to be transcribed, and through the transcription you will commit it to memory. Once it is in your memory it will remain there until you use it, and then it will be gone until you memorize it again. Not every spell is the same, some can be recalled more than once, things like, making an object glow or detecting magic, but as you progress, especially in more dangerous, offensive type spells, you will need to learn them and relearn them, and relearn them again. I would also warn you to never, ever, cast a spell by reading it directly from your book, if you do, the spell will be consumed, and the page will evaporate from your book, the writing lost for good.”

He stood and took a few steps, then turned to look at her again, “I need to warn you however, you say you are a Sentinel,  and I believe you, but that means you will never, ever, be a wizard. Choose your spells wisely. The accomplished magic users are the ones who dedicate every waking hour with their noses buried in their books learning and memorizing,” It would suddenly occur to Aurora, this is exactly what she has seen Lizzy do over the last three weeks, she didn’t even help with food or house cleaning, she was constantly studying and reading. Aidan spoke, “But, we can certainly help you to learn the spells of the light, the ones that can lend aid, speed, protection, things of that nature, and balanced with your sword you will be a most formidable warrior on the battlefield.”

“SO, we shall start with something simple.” He reached onto the shelf and removed a scroll. He turned and started walking back to her, “Scrolls are DESIGNED to be read from and consumed, it saves your book, and gives you an emergency plan. They are cumbersome so many wizards don’t bother with them, but they have their uses. We will not be doing that however. I want you to copy what you see on this scroll into your book. Don’t speak the words, only copy them.”

He handed her the scroll and a pen.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora looked at the scroll, then her book and then to Aidan. She slowly opened the scroll, unrolling it so that she could read what was inside but it was in Gaelic. Looking at the Master Wizard she shook her head, "I cannot read this, sir...it's in a language I don't understand." But all he did was smile and told her to copy it anyway. Shrugging her shoulders she did as he told her, her writing as beautiful as her hands as she did so. It took her almost a half an hour to copy it but when she was finished she carefully rolled the scroll back up and handed it to him. Looking back down at the book she was amazed to see that what she'd copied was now in English and she could read it. It was the Rules of Spell Casting. She read them, one by one and smiled as she did so. "So...cast only when needed and cause no harm to the innocent. Sounds simple enough."
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:08 pm

As Aidan watched Aurora work, Elizabeth went back to her book. It took Aurora an appropriate amount of time and when she finished and watched the words swirl into form so she could read them he stood and clapped his hands softly, “Brilliant Aurora! Absolutely brilliant!”

He walked over and looked at the page and then sat beside her, looking her in the eyes, “There is one more fundamental rule, we don’t cast in view of the general public if at all possible. There are protocols if it happens, but it is much easier if they don’t see in the first place. Of course this is becoming more and more a challenge as the populace grows and technology becomes more capable of capturing evidence. The same goes for warring and fighting. There are still laws within society that need to be followed, but of course we must respond when it is necessary.”

He inhaled deeply and continued, “Unfortunately the dark forces that inhabit our world are becoming more brazen in their actions, and I fear they are figuring out that sowing chaos directly into society will make it harder for us to stop them. We have always walked among the humans of this planet, we have always been there, walking beside them, protecting them, but I fear our days of enjoying a secluded existence are coming to an end.”

Elizabeth glanced up at Aidan as he spoke, her eyes showing concern, knowing how wise he was. She looked like she was about to say something but hesitated and then stopped, returning her nose to her spell book. Aidan half smiled and then turned back to Aurora, “There is a great amount of responsibility that comes with the power we wield, as Sentinels, Arbitors, whatever or specialization may be… ours is to always protect, always see that the weak are watched over, and to pursue evil until it is vanquished.”

He smiled and stood, walking over and picking up another scroll off his desk. Aurora might notice a pattern, something similar she had seen at the MacGregor’s barn, the scroll were laid out like the wooden swords Ean kept in the rack beside the training mat. There were not as many scrolls, only four, but the system was exactly the same. Aidan walked over and smiled as he handed the scroll to her, “This one will take a bit longer. It is a simple spell that will help you in the darkness. A simple spell that will cause a small object to glow like a torch. Copy it first into your spell book and let me know when you are done, then we will begin learning the spell through memorization exercises, and finally, how to cast it.”

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  SionnBanner

Sionn and Torri stepped out of the car and looked up at Mount Fuji in the distance. The house that had been arranged for them to stay in was deep enough inland that it sat high upon the terracing of an old farm. With a smile Sionn grabbed Torri’s bag, along with his own and they walked into the house. Sionn set Torri’s bag in her room and then went to his own. It was small, simple and looked comfortable.

He set his gear down and almost ran into Torri as she came out of her room simultaneously. She laughed and punched him in the shoulder softly, and Sionn chuckled. They made their way to the small living area and looked around. The home was simple and appeared to only be furnished with what was needed to survive. In reality however, behind a couple of the potted plants near a small desk Sionn could see the secure data ports and pointed to them, “There’s where we can hook up aye?”

Torri nodded and Sionn went back to the room, grabbing the black duffle that had their electronic gear in it. He brought it out and Torri had already crawled under the desk and as he approached she held her hand out. Sionn handed her the secure internet transmitter and she snapped it into place in the wall socket it was clearly designed for. Sionn unlocked his iPhone and watched the signal, “Got it, that’s done.”

He reached down and helped Torri stand back up, they pushed the potted plants back in place and they both opened their laptops to catch up on emails and other specifics.

After thirty minutes or so a knock came to the door. Sionn jumped up and went over, sliding the door open. A middle aged Japanese man removed his glasses and looked Sionn over, then looked over his shoulder at Torri sitting on the small couch. With a bow of his head he spoke, “Welcome Sionn and Torri McGhee, I am Hibiki Yamamoto of House Kobushi.”

Sionn smiled and welcomed him in, “And as you already know, I am Sionn and this is Torri, House of Helleborine.”

Hibiki bowed to Torri who had gotten up and come over. Hibiki smiled again at both and spoke, “I trust you have found everything as you need it?”

Sionn nodded and spoke, “Aye, we found the secure data port and are all hooked up. We are both a little hungry, but ready to get to work.”

Hibiki smiled and spoke, “Good, there is a great place to grab a bite where we need to start, come, I will take you there.”

Back to top Go down
Seraphim
Watchman
Watchman
Seraphim

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Jared-leto-3-1

As Jericho and Lexy walked back into the bunker and Ean tossed over the bottle of alcohol, the sentinel snagged it deftly from the air with one hand. He glanced down at the label, smiled, then looked back to Ean. He raised his free hand and mouthed the word 'later', before cutting his gaze to Taeryn, who'd almost gone through the entire bottle of his own whiskey on his own. It was bad enough that he was going to have to deal with being blind, but, adding in being blackout drunk wouldn't help. Jericho then looked back to Lexy and placed his free hand on her shoulder with a brief nod.

"We understand, Lex. Don't worry." His voice was a soft whisper very opposed to his typical commanding baritone, and he flashed his brilliant smile. "Thank you for trying, we Lakes are tough, we'll endure." He gave her shoulder a brief squeeze, before stepping further into the room, closer to Ean and Taeryn.

"So, as much as I'd love to bust back into Lake Tower and give Algernon a swift boot to his ass, this might not be the most opportune time..." Jericho drew a hand through his hair, pulling the long tendrils from his face and moved to lean on a nearby wall. "We don't even really have any clue what his next move is, or what he wanted the tower for."

He crossed his arms over his chest with a sigh, narrowing his eyes slightly. "What about you two," he asked, "What are your plans from here?" Jericho didn't like the idea of leaving Lake Tower in Algernon Poe's hands, but, rushing in there without any idea what they were in for would cause more harm than good, Taeryn was a testament to that.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  The_li10Lily MacDougall, aka Lilly Blades, had collected her last and final pay from the O'Neil Brothers Carnival.  Both men were sad to see her go, knowing that they were losing their best asset in the carnival business but they also sensed that Lilly was different and there was no way they were going to be stopping her if she wanted to leave.  "Ye be safe now...ye here, lassie.  Doona take any shite from anyone out there in the real world", Shamus O'Neil told her, giving her a brief hug, knowing that she wasn't used to physical shows of affection.  Although it was something she craved, neither did she know how to accept such things and they tended to make her uneasy.  And uneasy meant that she was defensive which mean her knives would be showing themselves not long after.  His brother, Simon, was just as sad to see her go, both men having looked at her like the sister they'd never had.  "Shamus is right, lass....ye be watchin' yeself oot there."  Lilly gave both men a small smile, her slight frame dwarfed by the two big Irishmen.  "Aye....I will be fine.  Ye two blokes hae' taught me well in the years we been together.  I not be forgetting that.  I know where to send any letters to the two of ye and I thank ye both for the phone.  I will keep in touch..aye?"  She quickly wiped at a tear that had escaped her hazel eyes, made a dark blue from her emotions.  She would miss them and the carnival but she wouldn't miss the whispers behind her back.  

That had been two days ago and now she was at the base of Mt. Fuji, in a small town that was beautiful to say the least.  The locals were nice to her, helping her with her Japanese language and commenting on the beauty of her eyes and pale skin.  She was finding that these people were not in the least bit suffocating as the orphanage had been at times, in fact the Japanese were a quiet calmness that she found she needed for now.  And yet, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was about to happen.  Something was going to happen to her.....whether it was something dealing with the balance of things or if she were going to meet someone or something was going to affect her personally, she didn't know.  But something was happening.

She spotted the small 'restaurant' and smelled the spicy noodles and fish.  She smiled as her stomach growled.  Before going in, she mentally checked where her blades were on her person like she always did before heading into a public place.  Most of her blades were small, the blade only being about two inches long with a thin handle.  These were her throwing blades.  At her thigh was an Irish dagger strapped on and tied off around her thigh.  She wore tight, black jeans.....a black form fitting v-neck t-shirt and black knee high boots.  In each boot was a boot knife, the hilt the only thing sticking up.  It was clear that she was a woman not to be messed with and yet she carried with her an aura of innocence.  Her long, thick, black hair was tied back with a leather tie and her hazel eyes stood out against the dark clothing against her pale skin.  She was toned yet curvy, her body small yet one could see that she was not a weakling by any means.  

Entering the establishment, she bowed to the hostess, attempting to say hello in Japanese.  The small woman smiled at her and corrected her, Lilly repeating it until she got it right.  In broken English, the small oriental woman let her know how much she appreciated her attempt at speaking their language instead of expecting them to speak English.  "Tis yer country, lass....not mine.  Tis only respect I hae' for all of ye", she told the woman who nodded her head, smiling wider.  She took her over to a seat, taking her by a table with three people sitting at it.  Two of them, a man and a woman, were clearly not Japanese.  Not with their red hair and green eyes.  As she walked by them she felt a 'pull' towards them and her hazel eyes widened for the briefest of seconds.  

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10

Aurora was looking at the scroll, copying it word for word into her spellbook.  It took time, as she was studying the language as she did so, watching the Gaelic words transform over to English as she wrote in the book, trying to learn the language while she wrote although she had yet to learn how to speak it properly.  Some time later, she finished and looked up at Aidan, "I am done, sir", she said to him.  She looked over at Lizzy who gave her a warm smile before turning her attention back to Aidan.  "Sir?  Something is bothering me.  How is it that I can hold a sword and yet be able to cast some spells?  I haven't done both at the same time yet, but I thought that someone who could cast spells couldn't touch metal."  She was finally embracing what she was and while Ean was teaching her physical training, she was now opening her mind to what she could do on the mental level of things.  It was showing in her eyes how much she'd grown since first meeting Sionn and his sister.  She was becoming stronger....more confident and she was becoming her own person.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Ean nodded in complete understanding as Jericho communicated without saying anything. Lexy was comforted by Jericho’s words but she also could not help but keep glancing at Taeryn, going through other scenarios and things she could try… but ultimately she knew that there was nothing she could do, she wasn’t skilled enough, not yet.

Ean listened to Jericho and it pained him to hear his best friend sound so defeated, frankly he wasn’t used to it but given the situation and the incredible lack of knowledge any of them had he was forced to agree, what COULD their next move be?

As Jericho asked his question Ean looked up with a smirk, “Well mate, do you think we came here to give you a shoulder ta’ cry on? We came to take back what is yours!”

Lexy stood and walked over to Ean, handing him the bundle. Ean lifted it and then handed it to Jericho. It was heavy and Jericho smiled with the knowledge of what was inside. As he unwrapped the black cloth, two twin blades in scabbards rested in the middle of the bundle. Ean put a hand on his shoulder, “I started on these almost two years ago for you, and I figure this is the best time to put them to some use aye? They are forged from Punkie Steel, mined and forged on the Pacific Rim. Almost as hard as diamond and they won’t lose their edge. I remember how much you liked mine last time you came to our home. Da’ was able to acquire more of the steel and I have been working on them since.”

Ean grabbed one and pulled it free, the sing of the steel hummed through the air and Ean flicked the guard, the blade extended from 18 inches to just over three feet, the magical enchantment along with the special properties of Punkie Steel allowing the blades to shrink and grow without compromising their strength. Ean turned it over and showed him the pommel. It was flat and coated in a bluing with the initials “J.L.” inscribed and embedded with a darker colored steel.

Ean smiled and handed the blade back to Jericho, “I think it might be time we go back over there and get some more information aye?”

Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Aidan looked over her shoulder and nodded, “Well done.”

He smiled at her and as she asked her question he came around and sat down in front of her, “To be honest, your question is not one that can be easily answered. In fact, nobody really knows. There are very few through the histories that can do what you can do. As I said earlier, you are by no means a Wizard, though if you wanted to pursue that path you most certainly could, but the fact that you ‘feel’ that you are a Sentinel tells me that in your heart you are. You would never reach the full potential of a talented caster simply because that’s not the blood that flows most heavily in you.”

She looked at him curiously and he continued, “I know this because the metal doesn’t burn you. If it doesn’t, then your more attuned to wielding steel instead of energy. Elizabeth or I can not touch steel, it burns like a red hot iron immediately. As a ‘hybrid’ however, you will have the ability to cast low level spells while you wield. It is not all with mixed blood that can do this, in fact I am still not 100% sure you will be able to, and that is why we are starting with such a low intensity spell.”

He pointed at the book, “This spell makes an object glow, as I told you earlier, the worst it will do is give you redness on the skin and pain no worse than an average sunburn. So be trying it we can assess your ability and tolerance without risking your life. Does that make sense?”

Aurora nodded with a smile and he nodded in return, “Excellent. So, now you will need to memorize the spell, once you have done that and can recite it to me I will begin to teach you the means to channel.”

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  HibikiBanner

Sionn, Torri and Hibiki sat, eating their lunches and getting to know one another. It was not completely uncommon for members of the same faction to work with one another, but it had been a long time since Sionn was able to work with a member of The Hand. Hibiki did not disappoint in the least. It was obvious that he was insanely strong, every movement of the small amount of skin Sionn and Torri could see were etched with defined muscle. Sionn was looking forward to when they might have some down time and they could spar a little so he could learn some things. Hibiki was deliberate in every movement he made, even when he glanced to look at someone there was an immediate summing up and assessment made in the flick of an eye, he had complete situational awareness and could tell you every detail of a room after one pass. This was not uncommon for those of The Hand, they were among the fiercest warriors in the Neutral factions, less inclined to impulsive reactions like the Stormborn, and far less prone to sit and study something like The Grey.

The young girl, clearly not from around here was seated next to them, and when she flicked her head their way Hibiki gave a very fast glance at her, barely noticeable, and then went back to his conversation. In a very subtle movement he repositioned his body so he could keep an eye on her, there was something unique, and he could feel power in her. Sionn and Torri also noticed the change in the atmosphere and their conversation became quieter. Finally Hibiki leaned over and in a very low whisper spoke, “A friend of yours?”

Torri shoke her head, “Ne’er seen ‘er before in ma life.”

Sionn nodded in agreement and Hibiki nodded as they all leaned back. He spoke in Japanese to the waitress and their check came, “I think perhaps, that it is time to take you to the coast.”

He paid for the meal and the three of them walked out of the restaurant, Hibiki let Torri and Sionn go out ahead of him and doing as little as possible to be obvious about it, waited to see how the raven haired woman would respond to their leaving.

Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Indian10Aurora took her time memorizing the simple spell, repeating over and over again in her mind and then began to recite it over and over to Aidan until she could say without any mistakes whatsoever. Once he was satisfied that she was ready he handed her a normal, everyday metal shortsword and told her to cast her spell onto it and make the blade glow. She took a deep breath, holding the sword upright in front of her and began chanting the spell. The blade began to glow...softly at first but then brighter and brighter until it encircled her with it's light. She noticed that her hand was warm but not burning by any means and she looked to Aidan, smiling. "My hand...it's warm but it doesn't burn." She then held the metal hilt with her other hand and the effect was the same as she kept chanting. She didn't get burned, but her skin was warmer so she knew that with a more powerful spell she would indeed get burned.

Lilly watched the three of them leave, feeling the 'pull' to follow them but she didn't right away. She didn't understand why she was drawn to them when she'd never been 'drawn' to anyone else before now. But, she couldn't fight it, so she apologized to the waiter and headed out of the restaurant. She didn't see them at first but she 'felt' them as she turned to her left walking down the sidewalk when suddenly she was grabbed and pulled into an alley by the Japanese man who was with the two red heads. When he demanded to know who she was, her hazel eyes turned a sharp green as she looked around, seeing the other two. "Ye'd think I be crazy if'n I told ye", she replied, her Irish accent thick. But when she looked at the two fierce red heads she sighed. She was one who knew when she was out numbered and this was one of those times. "I be Lilly MacDougall....better known as Lilly Blades of the O'Neil Brothers Carnival."
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Aidan smiled as he watched Aurora cast her spell and he nodded as he clapped, "Bravo Aurora, well done, well DONE indeed."

He walked over and took her hand, inspecting the skin closely. He nodded with a smile and looked her in the eyes, "Clearly, you are given the special ability to wield steel and cast magic, a very rare gift indeed."

Words echoed in Aurora's mind, words spoken by Arawela when she was in the Mansion of the House of Raven visiting Erebus, how she power within her, power that Arawela could show her and help her develop... could this be the power? Could Arawela have known?

"Lass?"

Aurora blinked out of her thoughts and Elizabeth was looking at her. Her brows were furrowed in concern and her hand was on Aurora's shoulder, "Are ya alright lass?"

Aurora nodded and Elizabeth smiled warmly, "You seemed in tha' place again, when your thoughts grab ya and take ya off to Lord knows where."

She smiled and stepped back, Aidan stepped forward again, "It's up to you, the pace at which we go. The next spell will take a bit more time to write and then learn, but it is a step up from making something glow. Are ya up for it?"

Hibiki looked Lilly right in the eyes, studying her deeply, almost looking through her. His eyes flashed silver and he stepped back, turning to Torri and Sionn, "She's Stormborn, but I don't think she knows it."

The red head siblings looked at each other and then to Hibiki, Sionn spoke, "How do ya know that?"

Hibiki laughed and spoke as he shook his head, "It is my place to know, by my calling and my house."

Sionn raised an eyebrow and Torri looked slightly annoyed as Sionn stepped forward to look at Lilly, "I fear lass, that we will need a little more information from you before we can continue on. Who are you, not you name, WHO are you?"
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  The_li10"Aye...I be Stormborn.  And I know it just fine", she said with a small snarl, her eyes turning colors to suit her moods and now they were a deep green as fear, anger and stubborness all filled them.   "I be Lilly MacDougall."  She was trying to decide how much to tell them....how much to keep out.  She didn't know them but she felt connected to them somehow.  "All I know of meself is that I am Stormborn.  I doona know what tha' means only that it is what me ma and da told me.  They died when I just be seven years old.  I grew up in an orphanage until I be sixteen.  Anything else ye be needing to know about me?", she asked with a little bit of attitude.  "How about ye be telling me who all of ye are and why I feel as though we be connected somehow?  Cause I doona like this one bit."

Aurora stared at Aidan, still feeling the effects of what Arawela had said to her.  She barely heard him when he spoke about moving on.....even at her own pace.  Should she tell him?  She didn't know but even as she thought about it her mind slipped back to that day and then to Erebus and how nice and sweet he'd been to her.  Her dark eyes filled with tears that she quickly blinked away.  When she saw his concern she gave him a small smile.  "Arawela....when she took me she said some things before Erebus arrived.  She said that I had a power within me...one that she could show me and help me to develop.  Could this be it?  My ability to cast simple spells and still wield a sword or dagger?  And will the metal protect me from spells like it did for Ean?"
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Aidan turned and looked at Aurora as she spoke of Arawela. With a brief look at Elizabeth he turned back to her and spoke softly, "I don't think I can answer that for you."

Aurora looked at him and he stepped over to the window, looking out towards the town center of York, "Druids can sense Druids, just as I can sense Elizabeth, Ean can sense Lexi... it's an innate ability, those of their own kind can sense others of the like. It's always been that way, it is a mystery as to the cause or purpose." He turned and looked at Aurora, "Many speculate and philosophize, pontificating and debating for endless hours to find the answer, but the truth is, I don't think their is one, it's just wired into us. Perhaps to help us seek like kinds for protection or knowledge, who knows."

He walked back over to her and smiled, "My guess is, she sensed the Druidic ability within you, or at least the ability to cast magic, and she was not lying, she would have been able to teach you, had you chosen to allow her."

He walked over to his desk and leaned against it, looking at her again, "As for steel protecting you from magic, I can only assume it will, and we can determine that in time, however I would be prudent to advise you that the ability to do so is very, VERY advanced, and requires many years of training. In addition, it is a completely different type of power, and to be frank, you will most likely have to chose one or the either, wield the spirit of the Sentinels, or the magic of the Wizards. I am afraid you would spend a whole lifetime trying to learn both, and never be very good at either, for learning one would require unlearning the other."

Hibiki looked at Lilly and simply laughed, he was laughing so hard his face was red and he needed a moment to catch his breath. Finally he wiped a tear from his eye and spoke, "Now let me get this straight, you, who have been following US, are demanding that we tell you who we are?"

He turned and looked at Sionn and Torri a brief second before turning back to her, "We have not sought your company, or your assistance, so how about you go back to the restaurant and enjoy some noodles."

She looked at him with fire in her eyes but he was clearly unimpressed as well as not in the least worried, "Go on little Irish flower, seek the company of those who wish your presence, who we are and what we do is not a concern of yours."

He turned and spoke to Torri and Sionn, "Come on, let's go."

Torri was quick on her heel to turn and follow, but Sionn lingered a second as he looked at her with curiosity before turning to leave with them.
Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  The_li10Lilly was furious and it showed in her eyes.  They were now a bright green and she found herself reaching for a throwing knife.  Not to harm any of them, but to get their attention.  She needed answers.  She threw the small blade, watching as it skimmed by the red-haired man's head, his hair moving with the passing of the blade as it dug into the wooden wall.  She stood her ground, staring him back with no small amount of fear in her eyes but she raised her chin up a notch in stubborness.  "I know I doona have the right to demand anything of ye......but bloody hell if ye walk away from me.  I need answers!  What is happening out there?", she waved a hand indicating the world.  "There is unrest.....unbalance and tis driving me insane.  WHY?!  Something tells me that the three of ye know why cause I am like ye are.  An' me own people....the carnies, were whispering that I wasna' human.  If'n I not be human then what am I?"  She stood there, staring at him, her hand on another throwing blade just in case he chose to harm her.

Aurora listened to Aidan, looking over at Lizzy from time to time.  "There is no choice, sir...I am Sentinel.  I know this down to my deepest core."  She smiled up at him, "What you say makes sense as for Arawela.  I just wish that I had not caused Erebus' death.   Regardless of what others say, he was good.  I could sense it.  A butterfly even went from my finger to his without hesitation.  And now he is gone because of me."  She took a deep breath then, "What is the next spell?  I am anxious to get to it.  The sooner I learn what I need to know the sooner I can get back."
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:09 am

Sionn turned and instinctually went for his hammers, from under Torri’s coat a bow almost appeared from thin air, and she was holding it taught, an arrow pointed right at Lilly’s head, the broadhead looking sinister and deadly. It was not this that was so alarming however.

With speed so swift, as if he disappeared and reappeared in front of Lilly, she found a hand on her throat and another on her wrist, the one that was going for the second dagger. He brought his mouth millimeters from her face and hissed, “You DARE!”

He squeezed her throat enough to make his point and hissed again, “Stormborn or no, I should kill you here and now!”

The look on Torri’s face was one of complete agreement, In the realm of the neautrals, attacking one of the same faction was penalized with death, and whether or not Lilly’s motivation was to strike Sionn or just get his attention, a knife whizzing close enough to his head to cause his hair to move would be evidence enough.

Hibiki’s eyes stared into her own and suddenly Sionn’s hand touched his shoulder. He turned and looked at him and Sionn spoke, “Let her go Hibiki.”

Hibiki furrowed his brows and spoke, “She attacked you Sionn!”

Sionn looked from Hibiki to Lilly and spoke, “I have a feeling that if she meant me dead I would be.”

Torri stepped forward as Hibiki released his grip but her bow was still tight with readiness as she looked at Lilly, “I have a right mind to pin your head to that wall for attacking ma’ brother. I swear to you bitch, if you EVER pull any shite like that again I will see it is your last breath I release from your body!”

Sionn reached and touched Torri’s arm, “Sister, retract your weapon.”

Torri looked at Sionn, more cross than she had in a while, and released the tension on the string. Sionn looked over at Lilly and spoke, “Based on wha’ you said lass, you understand that we owe you nothing, aye? No explanation, no education, no reasons for what we are doing. We have no been charged with being your mentors and teachers, no council of Elders has tasked us with your guidance. So before I say anything more I think you owe us all an apology for your aggressive, confrontational manner.”

He looked at her sternly, “I assure you, if you don’t, you will get nothing more from us, no even our mercy.”

His message was clear, she needed to cut out the demands and start acting more civilized or there would be no more conversation.

Aidan smiled, “If you want to follow the path of the Sentinel, then there is not much more I can show you.”

He walked up to her and placed a tender hand on her shoulder, “But I can show you one who can.”

He took her hand and helped her stand, gesturing to Elizabeth who smiled at him, he led the two of them out of the room and through several underground tunnels. As they rounded one of the corners, the sound of metal bashing into metal echoed down the corridor. Aidan looked at Aurora who seemed to perk up at the sound. He smiled and winked at Elizabeth and they all continued on.

As they rounded the final corner, a massive room, supported by huge brass columns opened up to them. It was shaped the same as the MacGregor’s barn, octagonal with weapons along every wall, racks of sparing swords and dozens of men and women, dressed in carious colors, signets on their chest and arms, talking, sparing and training. Aidan looked across the room and a man caught his eye, he signaled and the man whispered to the woman he was talking with and came over, “Aidan, so good to see you.”

He looked passed Aidan, directly at Aurora and spoke to the Master Wizard without breaking eye contact with her, “Is this her then?”

Aidan nodded, “Yes, and she has chosen your path, not mine.”

Aurora looked from one to the other, and the Knight stepped forward, “I am Gentry Argall, Heir of Sir Percival of King Arthurs Round Table, Knight of the Tenth Rank.”

He extended his right hand and spoke, “And I already know that you are called Aurora, and from Master Aidan’s words, you wish to be fully schooled in the ways of the Sentinels.”

Back to top Go down
SinTara
Watchman
Watchman
SinTara

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  The_li10Lilly had enough sense to remain perfectly still with Hibiki's hand around her throat and her eyes darkened, going from bright green to a dark blue, her pupils dilating in fear.  She couldn't even swallow, his grip was so tight and yet he released her when the red-headed man called Sionn told him to.  She glared at the woman, sensing that she would do exactly what she said she would and then looked to the one called Sionn, listening as she coughed.

"Aye....ye be right.  Me temper and frustration got the better of me and for that I am deeply sorry.  I be finding me answers elsewhere.  I have no idea who these 'elders' be that ye speak of either, but I will go.  Perhaps the one with the black eyes an' dark hair who was at me last performance will be having the answers I seek.  Tis clear that being of the same....", she thought for the right word, "faction?  Clearly tis not enough to help one another.  Regardless, me actions were horrible and Mr. O'Neal would tan me hide if'n he knew how I acted here."  The dark haired one she spoke of was a druid that had visited her final show, his attention focused on her.  He was clearly Japanese, but she knew the aura around him was darker than that of the three before her.  Still, she needed answers.  She was tired of trying to figure out what she was.  She only had what her parents had told her.  She knew she was Stormborn.  She knew what house she'd been born into.  She knew she was different.  But this constant feeling of unrest and unbalance was driving her insane.  She had no idea how to go about looking for the cause, only that it was out there....somewhere.  

She turned to leave the entrance to the alley, running smack into the person she'd talked about.  His grinned at Hibiki, tsking at all three of them, "Mistress Arawela will be pleased to know that you have let another slip through your fingers.  The poor child is only seeking answers and as she is of yet untutored, perhaps she will join the ones who will gladly take her in and teach her."

Lilly took a step back, seeing the coldness in his black eyes that she'd not noticed before during her show.  But, if he had answers for her.....her gut was screaming at her to turn and walk away from him.  And her blood went cold at the mention of Arawela's name.  Who was Arawela?  She'd never heard the name before.  She took another step back, her hand going to one of her many blades.  The man shook his head, tsking again as he looked at her.  "Child....you put your hand on your weapon when all I offer is the answers you seek.  That which my mistress can give you."  He looked up at Sionn then, "Your love is on limited time, McGhee.  Arawela will have her and her screams will fill the manor with music.  And now you let another beauty slip through your fingers.  Tsk...tsk.  One who can be shaped and molded to a magnificent weapon.  Just like your sweet, innocent Aurora.  Only she will not be a weapon.  She will be the mistress' toy....her screams bringing joy to the manor while we feast."  

Lilly moved her hand to her larger knife at her hip, stepping back slowly while his attention was on Sionn.  She drew it with blinding speed, lashing out at him as she knelt down to roll, her blade slicing at his calf on his right leg.  "I will not be molded by anyone, ye wanker!  I be Stormborn....I will always be Stormborn!"  He yelled out in pain, his leg all but buckling beneath him as his gaze went to Lilly.  "You little bitch!", he waved his hand, sending Lilly slamming into the wooden wall of the alley.  She hit with enough force to crack the wood, the air rushing from her lungs as she fell to the ground. "I was willing to offer you sanctuary and give you the answers you seek, but now you will join sweet Aurora only you will be my toy", he said to through clenched teeth before turning in a quick circle to disappear in a black cloud.   Lilly lay there, her breath coming in gasps as she tried to regain her wind.  "By the Gods.....what was that?!"

Aurora was in awe of what she was seeing.  And found that she'd missed the sounds of swords clanging together in sparring matches.  It also made her miss Lexi and think of Ean and then Sionn.  When she met Gentry, she smiled as she continued to look around until he mentioned teaching her.  She looked at Aidan and then Lizzy, "I don't understand.  What about Ean.  I thought he was supposed to teach me."  She was more than a little disheartened at the thought of Ean no longer teaching her and it showed in her expressive dark eyes.  She looked to Lizzy, "Have I done something to make Ean upset with me, Lizzy?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment    Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ch 7 - The Enigma Ascertainment
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling :: MIDGARD - Earth bound stories :: Ever...-
Jump to: