Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

14: Mixed Minds

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:03 pm

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Aeolis

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 LadyKellan

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Mage2

(ha ha! No sweat. I figured she was in her later teen years but 14 is good with me)

Pela remained silent as she fumed over the decision Bad Rock had made for them. While deep down she knew he was right, she didn’t like the fact he was still treating her like a child. As they moved along her anger slowly dissolved and she relaxed a little more on his shoulder. She glanced over at Aeolis and Kellan as they moved along and she grinned to herself. The Lady Knight was still feeling the affects of the spell and Pela felt a sense of silent satisfaction knowing the woman would feel the discomfort of it for a little while longer.

As they picked a spot to rest for the night, Pela still hadn’t said anything to Bad Rock. In her mind she was punishing him but in reality she knew he didn’t care. As Bad Rock set the enchantments, Pela set her own protection and satisfied they would not be disturbed, she laid down on her bed roll and was fast asleep cuddled up next to Bad Rock

Kellan was amazed at how well the creature could keep up with her and Aeolis on horse back. She would have ridden even faster if she had her complete strength back but as it was, she was afraid to push herself too much. When they finally stopped for the night, Kellan gingerly dismounted, testing her limbs for stability. Her muscles still ached but at least now they weren’t feeling like knives being shoved into them.

Tending to the horses so Aeolis could get a small fire going, she apologized to the animals for having the leave their saddles on them overnight. She would have loved to give them a rest from the their burden but she simply couldn’t.

As she watched the Bad Rock set enchantments around himself and Pela, she glanced over at Aeolis. The Elf was watching with a mixture of amazement and annoyance. If anyone needed an enchantment protection against something, it would be he and Kellan against Bad Rock and Pela. Still, both of the riders were amazed at how quickly both Bad Rock and Pela fell asleep.

Once Aeolis and Kellan had their bed rolls laid out as well, they sat down wearily. Kellan still shivered and she knew her armor was holding the cold and for once she wished she’d listened to Aeolis when he tried to convince her to leave it behind. But she was a Knight of the Crown and as such, she wouldn’t forsake her Order and thus, the armor was necessary.

Aeolis glanced at Bad Rock and Pela then back to Kellan and furrowed his brow. Keeping his voice whisper soft, he spoke to Kellan.

”Well, that went better than I expected.”

Kellan huddled under her cloak and held her trembling hands out towards the small fire Aeolis had built fo them and quirked a brow at the Elf. Her voice was that same whisper subtleness as she spoke.

”I’m glad you think s-so. I would have liked it to go just a tad but better than it did. But at least I’m stil alive to talk about it. For now”

She glanced over at Bad Rock and Pela again then looked back to Aeolis.

”How did a creature like that end up with a human daughter?”

Aeolis shrugged.

”I do not know. She is obviously not his true daughter. It is also obvious she has been with him for quite some time. Early childhood I would guess. Perhaps even longer. She understands his native language very well so she had to have spent some significant time with him. Perhaps we will find out one day. What I do not understand is why he has not seen fit to eat her when she misbehaves like the spoiled child she obviously is.”

Kellan snapped her head over to look at Awolis and the look she gave him was sheer horror.

”Eat…..her?”

Aeolis nodded

”Yes. Nethermen eat a diet of raw meat and they do not care of the meat is animal or….human. Only that it is raw meat to satisfy their appetites.”

Kellan felt her stomach lurch and once more she had to fight back the urge to vomit. Swallowing a few times, she finally felt her stomach ease. Yawning, she looked over at Aeolis and gave him a small smile.

”Thank you for coming to my defense, Aeolis. I owe you.”

Aeolis smiled slightly then poked at the fire.

”You are welcome, Lady Kellan. I only wish I could have prevented you from falling victim to the spell she cast. Rest now. I shall take first watch. I will wake you in a few hours.”

Kellan would have argues with him about taking the watch but she was exhausted and she needed to somehow get warm. Fluffing up her bed roll, she yawned once more then laid down and huddled under her cloak once more. She shivered for a few more moments then fell into an exhausted sleep. Once more she thought of the warm touch of a dragon disguised as an Elf as she drifted off to sleep.

Aeolis looked over at Kellan as she rested then looked skyward. Furrowing his brows he wondered if the snow would hold off until they were able to start out the next morning. Aeolis wasn’t going to hold his breath hoping. He knew not to press his luck any more than he should.
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 am

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 -anime10

Saul watched through his spyglass, standing beside a bolder, from the top of a ridge, at what looked like a Knight, an Elf, a young girl of perhaps 13 or 15 summers and a massive horned creature. The party below him appeared to be in a somewhat animated discussion. "This is the Knight and Elf he had been tracking for the last few days." he said to himeself. "But who were these others and why had they met here, in the middle of nowhere?" he asked himself. Just then the horned creature looked up at Saul's position. "Your exposed you fool." Saul scolded himself.

Quickly he lowered his spryglass and stepped behind the boulder and crouched. Rising his glass just above the top of the boulder, he watched as the party started off together. The knight appeared unconfortable and unstable on her feet as she mounted he horse. The horse seemed to wander, uncotrollably until the Elf took the reins. It was then that they started back in the direction of Heartlund.

Saul, dismantled his spyglass, crouched down behind the boulder. A plan began to form in his mind. He sniffed the air, the faint smell of snow filled his nostrils. Shortly the fist flakes began to fall. "They shall not be hard to track in freshly fallen snow. Unless they can fly that is." He thought, which he was sure they could not. Saul then made his way down from the ridge slowly until he reached the place where the party of four had stood. As he knelt and studied the ground a glint of gold caught his eye. Rising, Saul stepped over to where the horned creature and young girl had stood. There on the ground lay one gold coin. Kneeling he picked it up, studied it. .......... "So the creature and the young girl were paid ....... Mercinaries? ........ The creature appeared most capable, but the young girl? ....... A Soceress? ......... Things were indeed becoming interesting." Saul slipped the coin into his pocket and began to track the party as the snow began to fall heavier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomasgill2000.tripod.com/oradrethcunamotomasaralom
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 am

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 BadrockBanner

Night covered the land and Aeolis had woken Kellan to take her watch. Bad Rock and Pela slept soundly, as if there wasn’t a danger in the world. As Aeolis drifted into needed rest Kellan sat shivering by the fire. The snow was falling heavily now and made visibility nearly impossible. The fire was starting to die out and Kellan groaned internally that she was going to have to get some wood. As she was starting to stand she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. As she turned with a start and drew her dagger she found herself face to face with Nol. He smiled softly and looked down at her, his brows raising slightly as the dagger trembled in her hand, the affects of such a fast start in awareness.

He smiled and wrapped his cloak around her, pulling her into himself. Her armor was freezing cold against his skin but he breathed slowly, the temperature of his skin rising enough to warm the metal and take the extreme chill off of her. He whispered softly, “Why you insist on wearing that armor in this cold is beyond me, you know you could get leather travel armor with the same insignia tooled into it.”

She shoke her head and gently slapped his chest and spoke, “Just shut up and let me warm up Nol.”

He giggled softly and complied, keeping his mouth shut for a good long while. Once she was warm he helped her sit and motioned over the fire pit with his hand. The fire sparked back to life and produced its warmth despite the fact that all the wood was gone. He turned and looked at her, his eyes reflected the fire back at her and he spoke, “You did well Kellan, I was watching from afar, I admit I told you I wouldn’t come but I couldn’t help myself. Just so you know, there is another that is tracking you, I know not who he is but I have had my eye on him, if he tries anything malicious I will see to it that he is brought to you.”

Her look of surprise was obvious but he shoke it off, “Don’t worry.”

He turned and looked at Bad Rock and Pela laying under a blanket of fresh, thick snow. The pair seemed completely oblivious to its affects. He studied them a moment and then turned back to Kellan as he wrapped his cloak back around her and pulled her in close to himself, “They are an odd pair aren’t they not?” The Dark Queen has used him to do some of her assassination work for a long while, she is only fourteen, so she has only been assisting him for the last couple years. Quite the formidable Sorceress, along the lines of Kali, only she’s one hundred percent human. She has quite a talent for magic, especially those of an icy nature.”

He turned and looked into Kellan’s big brown eyes and smiled, “Sorry, can’t keep this mouth of mine closed can I?” He chuckled and turned to look as Aeolis stirred but then fell back to sleep almost immediately.

Back to top Go down
http://www.zinsk.com
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 am

Kellan had never been so glad to see any one being in all her life as she was Nol. Even though he did startle her and her instincts and training took over. She tucked her dagger back into its sheath and gladly let him pull her into him. She could only imagine how cold her armor was against him but somehow she knew he’d adjust for that. Still she felt as though she were being rude but couldn’t help allowing herself feel the heat that radiated from him and sink into her very being.

As she sat down and he flared the fire once more, she looked up at him. She heard his words of praise but didn’t feel she deserved them. But the news of another following them was a little disturbing. She couldn’t help but glance around before moving even closer to Nol and feeling his warmth once again.

As he talked about Bad Rock and Pela, she studied the two and wondered how they could sleep so soundly with snow blanketing their bodies. AS he pointed out the obvious, she gave him a look that spoke volumes of just what she thought of his line of conversation. Of course the smile he gave her was one she couldn’t resist and chuckled softly all the same. She felt the walls she had around herself slowly lowering once more in this creatures company and she wasn’t sure if she should be happy or worried.

”After today, you can talk all you want and I won’t complain about it. Regardless of the topic. I honestly thought she was going to kill me. And she seemed quite excited to be able to do so. She was extremely upset when that thing she calls father stopped her. How does someone so young get to be so……heartless? And her use of her magic is nothing short of amazing if I was an admirer of it. How did she get to be so good at it at such a young age? The creature is intelligent, that much is obvious, but somehow I don’t think he taught her how to use her magical abilities.”

Without realizing it, Kellan had slipped her hand into Nols and laced her fingers with his as she sat talking to him. As Aeolis stirred, she looked over at him and smiled softly.

”He taught me a lot these past few days. I owe him a great deal.”

Turning her head and glancing up at Nol, she let her eyes search his for a long moment.

”I’m glad you’re here, Nol.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:19 am

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 NolBanner

He inhaled deeply, the cold air stung his lungs, even dragons were susceptible to the bite of winter, unless you were a white dragon. He too was enjoying the feeling of their warmth under his cloak and he spoke in response to what she said regarding Pela, “She would have killed you if Bad Rock had not intervened, but if he hadn’t I would have.”

She looked up at him and he simply shrugged slightly, “Like I said, I was watching. I didn’t want to interfere however, but she was half a second from my claw shredding her.” Kellan looked up at him and she could see it in his eyes, he would have done it. “How she became so callused is a bit of a mystery. Like I said, we have known about Bad Rock for some time and tracked him as best we could, he is elusive for such a large being. Nethermen are known for their ability to blend into the environment. They are not the most friendly of creatures, in fact I wonder if they have any emotion what so ever. Nethermen are not casters, in fact they can’t cast magic, all his power resides in his staff. I don’t know how he came to learn how to use it or even acquire it, but he did and it makes him that much more formidable. As far as I can tell Pela is self taught, which is good and bad. She has an obvious attunement to the field of magic around her, but not growing up near any sort of populace where she can be discovered is most likely the reason she hasn’t become a High Wizards apprentice. Like I said, she might rival Kali in terms of talent, but she is too young to know that for sure, not to mention Kali still has a few hundred years of life ahead of her, Pela is, well as I said, human.”

As Kellan spoke of Aeolis he looked at the Elf and then to her, he smiled, “Aeolis is a good man, his nature was corrupted for a short while, but Ceridwyn saw it to rescue him and draw out the evil that had taken residence within him. I am glad to see that he is back.” He didn’t speak more about this, figuring it wasn’t his place.

As her eyes searched his own he looked back at her. She spoke and he smiled warmly as he responded, “And I am glad to be here.”

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 am

Kellan found all of this interesting. Her eyes kept drifting back to Bad Rock and Pela and it still amazed her that they weren’t the slight bit cold from the snow that was falling and covering them completely. Her brows furrowed as she looked at Pela again.

”She’s got a lot to learn. And I don’t mean from her magical abilities. It’s a wonder she’s survived this long. I’m sure he’s had a lot to do with that, but it doesn’t appear as though she’s had any instruction on manners or anything a normal girl would have. Even magical wielding ones. And to think she and Kali will be in close proximity of each other worry’s me. Kali has a rather strong presence about her and I can already see her and Pela butting heads more often than not. And Pela is certainly the sort to act first and never ask any questions.”

Kellan shook her head as she stretched her feet out to get them closer to the fire.

”Paladine help us. I hope we aren’t bringing a spark into a pile of kindling once we arrive with them.”

She glanced at Aeolis then and chewed on her bottom lip.

”It’s hard to believe he ever had an evil bone in his body.”

She looked skyward then and blinked as snowflakes dropped onto her face. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, she looked at Nol again. There was a sadness in her gaze now even though she was smiling softly at him.

”It’ll be light soon. I’ll need to be waking everyone so we can get moving again.”

Her fingers tightened their hold on Nol’s hand even as she spoke the words. It was obvious she was staying true to her duties but wished she could be in his company a little more. But Kellan knew if that were to be granted, she’d merely wish for more time when it was time to move on again. It became a vicious circle.

Curling into Nol once more, she laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes listening to the silence and his steady breathing for a moment. Finally she blinked her eyes open and lifted her head to look into his eyes again.

”When we get back to Heartlund, I’d like very much to spend some more time with you.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

He looked at Pela as Kellan talked, he could only nod, “Obviously being raised by a Netherman has its disadvantages. Your thoughts and concerns regarding bringing her and Kali into the same space are not unwarranted, it will be interesting indeed to say the least. Perhaps the best plan of action would be to have them separated as much as possible, but with it being Kali who requested they be acquired for the battle I don’t see how that is possible.”

He felt her fingers squeeze his and he smiled. She placed her head on his shoulder and they simply sat in the silence of the falling snow. Finally she spoke and he squeezed her tightly. With a slight nudge he brought her chin up so she was looking up at him and he leaned forward, kissing her mouth. The warmth that came from his lips was like hot coals, yet it was pleasant and inviting. He released the kiss and brushed his finger against her chin, “I would very much like that as well.”

He stood and helped her to her feet. The sun was starting to show signs of its rising to the east as a thin band of light was glowing from behind the thick clouds. “I am afraid the rest of your journey will most likely be in this weather, as I was flying earlier the clouds went all the way over the horizon.”

He leaned forward and kissed her gently on the forehead again, and she felt a shock of magic enter her body. It was as if she was being bathed in warmth the radiated from the inside. He leaned back and with great hesitation let go of her hand, “Paladine bless you Lady Kellan, I will see you at Heartlund.”

He reached up towards her as he evaporated into the falling snow, his loving gaze becoming one with the environment behind him.

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Sirtrystan

Trystan woke early and looked out his window. The fires from the torches along the wall cast an eerie glow against the thickly falling snow. He frowned slightly at the thought of doing all his duties outside today in the cold of winter. There was little choice however so he got over it quickly and dressed himself. As he made his way to the command center he noticed it was completely empty. He began looking over the vast amounts of intelligence that were being gathered regarding the towers. He simply could not get over the fact that they were going to have to attempt and topple these things, and he felt in his heart that no one really knew how yet.

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Kali2

There was a soft noise behind him and he turned to look. Kali entered and smiled, her red velvet robes swishing softly as she walked up to him and placed a hand on the small of his back, looking to the drawings and writing that were semi-organized on the table in front of them. She spoke, “Looking into the heart of the shadow?”

He turned and looked at her, his face was grim and he nodded, “It just seems surreal that we are actually going to fight these things, I don’t see how.”

She looked at him and her sparkling blue eyes caught his own, “Like I have said, the third tower is the weak spot, it has no master and is like a child that waits for its parent to come home. Since the three towers are linked we will breech the defenses if we can penetrate and destroy it. It will be no small feat I assure you, and it will take the combined magic of Mother, Ceridwyn and I to shudder the foundation and bring it down. We will need you and the rest of the army to hold off the elementals while we cast, the spell is going to require a massive amount of concentration and focus, so we will be extremely vulnerable. My plan is that Pela, if they come back with her, will be able to assist in enchanting your weapons with magic that will make them cold and aid you in fighting the fire elementals.”

Trystan looked at her, his eyes focused on her a moment, “If they come back with her?”

She looked up at him and shrugged, “It’s a fifty fifty shot Trystan, they are Mercenaries, swayed by the coin offered to them. They have no loyalties or convictions other then what wage has been offered them. Pela and Bad Rock are assassins, there is the possibility that they will simply attack and attempt to kill Aeolis and Kellan before they even make the offer.”

He recoiled and looked at her in horror, “You sent them to their possible deaths?” She stepped back and furrowed her brow, “I sent them to nothing Trystan. She volunteered to go, as did Aeolis. I was planning on going myself but they offered before I had the chance and Commander Rose approved of it almost immediately! She is a soldier, as is Aeolis, they knew the dangers of this mission just like any number of missions they have undertaken.”

He sighed heavily and leaned forward on the table, “You are right, they volunteered…. But still.”

He looked at her, his face full of concern. “You still have feelings for her don’t you?” Trystan smiled and nodded, but responded, “Of course, she was my Squire, and my protégé for many years, I don’t want harm to come to her.” Kali smiled and nodded, but there was a slight fire in her eyes, “Do you still love her?”

Trystan looked at her, his eyes looked straight into her own, “I will always love her, she was my best friends little sister, and though we shared a moment my love for her is more like a brotherly love. She is a Knight, a comrade, a friend, but my lover… no, she is not that.”

Kali smiled and nodded as she stepped back up beside him and whispered, “Then what does that make me?”

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:46 am

Kellan sighed and turned to awaken her companion and somehow awaken the other two without falling victim to the protective spells they set the night before. Aeolis was up and frowning at the snow when Kellan gently shook his shoulder. As he helped prepare for the trip back to Heartlund, he kept looking skyward. Snow was lovely when one didn’t have to travel in it.

Kellan was just about to call to Bad Rock and Pela when she noticed the girl stretching lazily. Kellan couldn’t help but frown as she saw the delight in Pela’s face at the newly fallen snow and the snow that still fell from the sky.

Once the group was ready to go, Kellan mounted up and started heading back towards Heartlund. She couldn’t set near as fast a pace now as she could the day before due to risking injuring the horses or their riders. If it hadn’t been for Aeolis’ excellent sense of direction, she was certain she’d have been circling around the forest before she got back on track.

The trip back to Heartlund was grueling, to say the least. The weather took a turn for the worst. The winds howled out of the north and cut through the air like frigid knives. Kellan didn’t feel the bite of the cold as much as she had before Nol’s visit and she knew it had something to do with the kiss to her forehead he gave her. She would be eternally grateful for his gift.

Finally the time came when the familiar lands surrounding the Keep started appearing. Both Aeolis and Kellan had an urgency about them now and it bled into their horses. When at last they reached the hill that overlooked the Keep. Kellan heard the sounds of alarms ringing through the air.

Looking over at Pela and Bad Rock, she could see the looks on their faces and reassured them it was OK.

”They are merely announcing we are on the horizon. I give you my word they won’t attack.”

She glanced at Aeolis then.

”Remain here. I’m going ahead to let them know we have returned and to open the gates for us.”

The Elf nodded.

Kellan urged Smoke into a pace the horse could keep as he traveled through the blowing snow and howling winds. Her cloak snapped dangerously as the one corner was caught by a rushing gust. When she was within shouting distance of the Keep, she announced herself.

”Lady Kellan Longblade and the Elf Aeolis have returned with the individuals we were sent to gather!”

There was a rush of activity as sentries and archers moved around to make sure it was really Kellan. Once everyone was sure, they signaled her the gates would be opened when they arrived. She turned Smoke around and headed back through the snow to retrieve the rest of them. As she was coming back, Pela let a smirk cross her lips.

”Remember what we said, Elf. Any sign of trickery and you and your Lady Knight are as good as dead as well as any others who get in our way.”

Aeolis kept his eyes trained on Kellan as he spoke.

”Imagine how silly you are going to feel when you realize there is no threat here for you.”

Kellan rejoined them and nodded towards the Keep.

”Let’s go. They’ll open the gates when we get close enough.”

Pela tilted her head slightly as she looked down at Kellan from atop Bad Rocks shoulder.

”Moment of truth, Knight. Hope you are prepared.”

Kellan furrowed her brows but didn’t say anything to Pela. She found it was better to ignore the girl then take the bait of conversation with her. As they traveled down the hill towards the gates, Kellan’s eyes traveled all around looking for any sign of the one being she wanted to see more than anyone. Knowing he was watching somewhere, she hoped he could see the fact she’d placed the hair pin in her hair when she awoke this morning to finish the last leg of their journey.

As they reached the Keep she heard shouts of alarm and warning as the sentries caught sight of Bad Rock up close. She raised her hand and called to the others inside.

”He and the girl are with us. Stand down.”

After some activity the voices quieted and the gates were opened to allow entrance. The sun was just starting to dip behind the hill as Kellan, Aeolis, Bad Rock and Pela cleared the gates and stood inside the Keep.

Pela grew stiff as she sat on Bad Rocks shoulder. She could see several archers ready to quickly fire bolts at them. Her icy blue eyes glared at the Knights. Already she was thinking of several spells to cast that would protect herself and Bad Rock as well as do some damage to the others.

Kellan urged Smoke onward and as the group slowly made their way further into the Keep, a crowd had gathered to make a pathway to the main building. Kellan wanted nothing more than to rid herself of these two, give her report to her superiors and return to her room for a much needed hot bath and soak in the tub.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Bad Rock was at ease, he had a feeling that he was right in his choice and he remained silent as Pela taunted Aeolis. He made note that he would discuss it with her later, despite the circumstances if in fact this whole job was a legitimate endeavor client relations were something she was going to need to brush up on. He didn’t like coming into a Solamnic Knight stronghold anymore than she did, but they were here and as always he would do the job he was hired to do.

His feet thundered across the cobblestone as they walked. Pela would understand that this was a show of strength and intimidation. The big creature was capable of being as stealthy as a church mouse when he needed to be, but when coming into these sorts of uncomfortable situations he was not above using his size to intimidate those around him. As they walked through Heartlund he made note of all the soldiers and the fact that they were all full equipped, even in the snow they wore their full armor and weapons. As they moved east through the town and the Keep came into view he noted the strange red glow on the horizon that was glowing even through the thick cloud cover. He assumed this was coming form the towers that the Elf and Knight Kellan had talked about. He nudged Pela and gestured in that direction without a word.

As they came to the Keep and walked over the secondary mote his feet caused the wood of the drawbridge to creak and moan. He reached up and helped Pela down from his shoulders so she was on her own feet now.

Kali had heard the announcement that Lady Kellan and Aeolis had returned with the Mercenaries. She looked at Trystan and her eyes brimmed with confidence in her decision to acquire them. They had been in the command center all morning working on their plans and discussing the scenarios of engagement with the other Knights that were there with them. Many were here today due to the weather and the conversation was at times heated as debate rang out regarding the appropriate plan to attack the towers.

She touched Trystan softly as the announcement rang through the room and spoke, “We should go meet them.”

He nodded and they walked with a half dozen or so other Knights to the main entrance of the Keep. Kali looked at the creature called Bad Rock and barely flinched at seeing him again. He seemed much smaller not in the hallways of Glen Durel castle, but he was a massive creature none the less. As her eyes turned to meet Pela’s she focused on the young girl a moment. Pela stared back at her with a slight air of smugness and defiance of any authority that might be placed over her and Kali couldn’t help but smile. She didn’t remember Pela being quite so young, but the despite her love for magic that involved the cold Kali saw an amazingly hot fire in the young Sorceress’ eyes. She reminded her so much of herself the Kali felt her breath catch slightly in her breath, the two of them were so similar, alone as babies, raised by monsters, following a path of magic. Though Pela was staring Kali down hard Kali responded with a small smile and a nod of respect, though Pela was a Sorceress and most High Wizards would look down on her for that Kali saw what lie within, she understood the young lady more than Pela could possibly know, and she respected the young ice wizard.

“A raw day for travel, we thank you for accepting our offer Bad Rock,” Trystan spoke the words and could not help but feel a shiver down his spine as the massive Netherman turned his eyes to look directly at him.

“Ain’t no deal been signed yet little one, I have a note here from Rayann,” he reached his open hand to Pela who immediately placed the note she had rolled and tucked into her belt into his palm. He held it out towards Trystan who had a look of slight confusion on his face, he was completely unaware that Rayann had sent a note.

“I… umm,” Bad Rock’s face turned foul and Pela almost instantly bristled at his hesitation when Kali stepped forward, “Bad Rock, Pela, I am Kali Thel’radin Padraig, the daughter of Rayann. She sent the note knowing that you would recognize her name from the events at Glen Durel.” Pela and bad Rock both turned and focused on her. She looked from Bad Rock to Pela, she could feel the young sorceress drawing magic towards herself and she spoke softly, “I give you my word that you are safe here. It is our intent to hire you as was proposed and it is also our desire to offer you more than the Knights have already offered from our own coffers.” She turned her attention completely to Pela and spoke with a slight air of authority in her voice, “I can feel your actions Pela, I can feel you gathering magic to yourself, I promise that if you follow through with this it won’t end well for any of us.”

Pela’s face showed her shock, she looked at Kali with an expression that begged, “how did you know?” Kali only nodded gently and looked at Bad Rock, “My mother is on her way, she is seeing that my brother is taken care of in her room and should be along shortly to discuss our secondary offer to you, which I assure you is far higher than the Knights have offered. I hope you understand when you hear it the urgency that the whole of Krynn is under, and why your assistance is needed.”

Trystan turned and watched Kali talk to the two strangers, he was amazed at how diplomatic and calm she was being with the two, even in the face of Pela’s spell Kali’s face showed an expression of tranquility in the situation.

Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:24 pm

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 -anime11

The snow was still falling as the sun began to fall behind the hills. Saul reached the same position on the ridge, he had, but a few days before been. Removing his spyglass and assembling it, he gazed down on the valley floor and watched as the Elf, horned creature and the young girl waited as the Knight approached the fortress. His shap ears heard the alarm from the fortress and the Knight's words shouted to the soldiers. Shortly she turned and returned to the others. Then the party rode and walked to the gates as they were opened. Once the party had entered the fortress the mighty gates were once again shut. Saul brought his glass up a scanned the battlement. The soldiers lining the parapet turned their attention inward towards the enterior of the fortress. It was then that a plan began to materialize in Saul's mind. These soldiers were trained but lax in their vigilance. A weakness had been found. In the gathering dusk and blowing snow, he watched as two lone sentries paced between the corner towers and the gate of the fortress, along the battlement. Saul counted as they made their assigned circuit between the two points. He watched, counted the beats of his heart and awaited for the nights darkness to deepen.
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Mythban2

Myth had spent the greater portion of the previous day in either the training halls or in meetings with the knights discussing strategy. So far this day was looking as if it would be filled with much of the same. There had been a noticeable difference in the air about the keep after his match in the hall with Sir Walter. Myth's presence was intimidating but now in the wake of a demonstration of ability it did not help matters. To further aggravate things Walter was taking the time to stir up even more trouble amongst the knights.

It was obvious many knights had never heard just how well an elf's hearing actually was. If they had then some of the knights that were in support of Walter would have kept their mouths shut when Myth was even in the same room. Myth could only sigh, shake his head, and carry on as if he were a deaf post. The call of lady Kellan's return rang through out the and Myth smiled slightly for the first time that day since he had left the presence of his family. He twisted his way through the halls and arrived in time to see his daughter greeting the two mercenaries. He gave a slight nod to Bad Rock as he left the shadow of the keeps doorway and entered into the light of the outside world.

Myth knew these two to be a dangerous pair but he also knew that the skills of the young sorceress could be invaluable. It did not make him any less hesitant about the situation as a whole. For now he was going to trust in the judgment of his wife and daughter and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 5:24 pm

While she would never admit it, Pela was frightened more than she’d ever been in her life. In fact, there was only one other time she felt like this and that was shortly after they left Glen Durel knowing the Dark Queen would do what ever she could to bring them to face her justice. And now, as Bad Rock thundered through the cobblestone, Pela put on a brave face and glared at the onlookers who came to see what all the talk was about.

Bad Rock was not some sort of show in a traveling group. He was her Father and as such, he was due respect. As she let her icy glare move over the faces of the gathered people, she thought of all the ways she could easily destroy them.

Like Bad Rock, Pela noted the men who were completely armored but didn’t think anything about it. She just thought that was their normal attire considering Kellan was wearing it as well. But there was something about the way she noted Bad Rocks observation of it all that she would ask him about later.

When he nudged her, Pela gave him a cross look then saw he was showing her something. When she looked in the direction he nodded, she blinked and felt her mouth grow slack.

”I’ve never seen anything like that before, father.”

Her voice was quiet and filled full of wonderment. It was obvious she found the towers fascinating and didn’t quite understand the significance of them. Yet. When He reached ip and helped her down, she heard murmurs wash over the crowd again and she glared at the nearest ones close to her.

As they moved slowly behind Kellan and Aeolis, Pela saw something in red walking beside a Knight headed their way. As they got closer, Pela recognized Kali. She remembered how formidable the woman was when they fought and Pela was looking forward to having a rematch with her.

As the Knight spoke to Bad Rock, Pela went into protective mode and was preparing to cast a barrage of spells. This was the time of truth and they were about to find out if this were indeed a trap. As Bad Rock mentioned the note and the Knight had no clue, she drew magic into herself and prepared to let her spell go.

When Kali looked at her and stated she knew what she was doing, Pela felt her mouth grow slack again and she looked at Kali as though she’d been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Did she take the chance with the threat that had been leveled or should she drop the spell. Finally giving a haughty look, she squared her shoulders and tried to look down her nose at the beautiful woman before her.

”For someone who asked for our help, you certainly are full of threats. We shall see when…and if…your mother arrives.”

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 RayannRed

”My daughter tells the truth, Pela.”

Pela’s eyes snapped to the woman who was now standing next to the very tall, very intimidating Elf she knew to be Myth. She never saw the woman arrive and didn’t know she was there until she heard her speak up.

Rayann glanced up at Myth and nodded slightly before she stepped forward with him next to her. She studied the girl and like Kali didn’t remember her being so young. She was a very errant young woman who was in dire need of, well, a spanking. Finally she turned her attention to Bad Rock and let her lavender gaze meet his black one.

”I was fully prepared to meet you again under very different circumstances than this but that will have to wait. For now, we’re in need of Pelas talents and knew she wouldn’t come without you so the offer was made to both. But don’t think for one moment you won’t work for your payment. The two of you will have your work cut out for you but something tells me you’ll be able to handle it with no trouble”

She looked at Pela again.

”At least one of you, anyway.”

She looked back at Bad Rock.

”I offer you double the money the Knights have offered as well as what ever your comfort needs are while you are here. There has been living quarters set aside for you and Pela away from the general populace in the Keep at present. We don’t need any incidents occurring unnecessarily. We need your concentration to be focused on the towers you saw as you came in.”

She glanced at Pela again.

”The towers cause waves of disturbance in the magical field and when they do, you will feel it more than ever at this close range. We will teach you how to ward yourself against their effects but they will work only if you do as we tell you. If you don’t, you’ll die a painful death. We are not trying to control you, Pela, we’re trying to help you and hopefully teach you along the way. Time is short so I need you to make a decision now. As I stated in my letter, if you decide to turn it down, you will be granted safe travel away from here.”

She turned her gaze to Trystan then letting him know there was no room for argument.

As Pela listened to the woman, she fumed. How dare this woman talk to her in this manner! Who did she think she was? But in the back of her mind, Pela couldn’t help but think about the opportunity that had been given to her and her Father. A heavy purse AND the chance to learn some more magic?

She glanced up at Bad Rock and raised her brows giving an almost unnoticeable shrug of her shoulders.

Kellan was exhausted, to say the least. As she walked Smoke further into the Keep, she glanced over art Aeolis and saw the Elf looking around at the many faces. She knew he was looking for Ceridwyn. Like Aeolis, Kellan let her gaze slide around for a moment as well but couldn’t see Nol anywhere. She thought she’d caught a glimpse of him here or there but each time she realized it wasn’t him.

As she caught sight of velvety red robes moving her way, she also saw Trystan heading their direction. Pulling Smoke to a stop, she dismounted slowly and saluted before she glanced at Kali and nodded. Taking a deep breath, she waited anxiously to see how these negotiations were going to go now that they had arrived.

As she stood listening to Kali and Trystan talk to the pair, she heard Kali’s words and grimaced. Kellan had not seen Kali’s magical abilities other then helping to port the group from Glen Durel to Heartlund but she had seen Pela’s handy work and she feared for Kali’s safety knowing what the Ice Queen could do. When Pela actually backed down, Kellan blinked. Perhaps the girl had finally met her match.

When Rayann appeared from thin air, or so Kellan thought, she listened to what the woman said to the pair and felt the tension grow as thick as the snow that covered the ground as they waited for the pair to give their answer.

Aeolis scanned the crowd looking for Ceri but he hadn’t seen her as of yet. With the weather as cold and bitter as it was, he couldn’t blame her. Besides, he would see her as soon as he got into the Keep and was able to get out of his traveling clothes and into a tub of hot water.

He pulled his mount to a stop and dismounted when Kellan did and like the Knight, he grimaced when he heard Kali threaten the sorceress. He knew Kali was familiar with Pela’s abilities but even he had to admit it seemed as if they’d gotten better and stronger since the last encounter they had with her.

When Rayann appeared, he once again scanned the crowd for Ceri and felt disappointed when she wasn’t there. He turned his attention to Rayann and listened to what she had to say to the pair. When the proposal was finished, he glanced from Trystan to Kali to Bad Rock and Pela then back to Rayann.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Kali turned and looked at her Father when he walked into the situation. She looked at him with assurance in her face and then she turned back to look at Bad Rock as she sent Myth a missive, ~ Understandably they are on edge. She is drawing power to herself, but it is subsiding since I spoke and gave them my word they were safe, well, that and I told her that I knew what she was doing. ~

He would hear the calm in her voice, as well as the slight air of humor. She turned as Pela spoke and when she threw the back handed words in her direction Kali took a slight step forward towards Pela. Trystan grabbed her and when he did he felt a painful spark of energy enter his fingers, he recoiled with the pain but was prepared to grab her again if she started moving in Pela's direction. She stopped but fixed her eyes on the ice sorceress. She watched the girl and saw the veiled fear in her eyes. Finally her voice entered the younglings mind and her words were full of strong conviction, ~ “My threats are based on your actions young one, and more a warning to not attempt it again then a mark in time to correct you. Don’t think me a fool, I have walked on the bones of more victims of my magic then you could possibly imagine. I only spoke because I felt you drawing magic to yourself so you could cast a spell, and if you think you could have fired that spell off before you found yourself little more than a crimson stain on the wall behind you then you are overestimating your abilities. We can keep this situation civil or we can grate on each other’s nerves until the situation here is resolved. I leave that choice up to you, but I assure you that a peaceful walk with me is a much better option than attempting to cross swords.” `

Kali’s face softened as she finished talking and she leaned back to rebalance herself beside her mother, but her gaze never left Pela’s face.

Trystan was grateful that Kali had stepped in and was discussing the matter with Bad Rock and Pela. He was starting to see that Bad Rock was definitely the leader of this duo and Pela was the attack dog on the leash. He cringed however to see her if he let the leash go, and he was glad that Kali had been able to disarm that situation quickly. He turned his eyes to Kellan who was standing stoic and tall off the side. She was beside Aeolis and she was watching the event unfold. Her hand was on her sword, resting at ease and she finally turned to look at him.

He nodded with a small smile of congratulations, and she would see that he meant it. Her face didn’t necessarily reflect the same happiness that he had in has at seeing her again, but he understood why, and he heard Myth’s voice echoing in his head again. He felt a lump form in his throat and he wished he could talk to her right then and there, to apologize for his awful behavior and make amends with her, but he knew that this was obviously not the right time of place for that. He saw the hair clip in her hair again, the one that she had worn the other night to dinner. He focused on it a moment and wondered where she had gotten it, he had never seen it before and she had never up until that dinner worn anything ornamental in her hair. In fact she had never done much with her hair except to tie it back in a pony tail or up in a bun so she could do her duties without having her hair in her face. He had to admit to himself, he liked the way it looked, but he caught himself, knowing that it was wrong to think along those lines, for many reasons.

Finally there was the sound of soft soles padding across the stone and many in the crowd turned to see Ceridwyn coming with haste. She stepped through the door bowed her head in welcome to Bad Rock and Pela. Ceridwyn looked up and gave a second glance to Pela, one of curiosity but also respect. She also turned and looked Bad Rock directly in the eyes and bowed her head a second time to welcome him. She did not speak however and left that to Rayann as she stepped to the side, this was her and Kali’s show, and she wasn’t about to step on toes or get in the way. She did however turn her eyes to Aeolis and the pink in her cheeks from the winter chill in the air took on a different shade, it was the color of warmth at seeing him again and her smile echoed that warmth as she spoke to his mind, ~ “Mel’amin, by the gods you return to me, thank Solinari that he saw you safely back so I could smile on you again.” ~

Trystan watched and listened as Rayann spoke to Bad Rock. Again he was seeing who exactly was in charge and that Pela truly was like the creatures daughter. How this was remotely possible was beyond his wildest imagination, however for now he chose to simply accept it and figure that mystery out later. Bad Rock listened to Rayann and then looked at his daughter a brief second before looking back at her. “We certainly agree in one regard Rayann, I too thought that you and I would meet due to other circumstances. However, I have the memory of Myth’s glance in my head, the glance that released us of our grievance when I took my daughter and left Rorie in Glen Durel to your doing.” He looked at Myth and saw the nod of agreement, “I would like to think that since he is your husband that you would respect the accord between he and I, even though it is a silent one I believe he is honorable enough to respect it, as am I.”

As she made her offer of double the coin he reached up and scratched his thick bristly whiskers on the underside of his chin. He glanced at the three wizards and then to his daughter. He was silent for a long while, so long that many became uncomfortable and started to shuffle where they stood. This creature was as likely to start beheading random people in the crowd as he was to agree and take the offer. Finally he spoke, “Your agreement is fair, we will stay and assist you.”

He looked down at Pela, his eyes said a lot, but mostly that they needed to do this, for her sake more than anything. Turning his gaze back to Rayann he spoke with a knowing tone in his voice, “And I would guess it’s fair to assume that we will get the rest of the money when the job is complete?” Her nod was almost immediate and he laughed softly, “Wizard’s are never foolish enough to give the money before the task is complete.” He glanced sideways at Pela, knowing she would pick up that he was calling her out for handing them over the money before they were actually hired.

Trystan called for two Squire’s and ordered them to escort the pair to their living quarters behind the main Keep. As they lead the two away he turned to look at Kellan but only saw her back disappearing into the Keep. He furrowed his brows slightly and felt Kali’s hand on his arm, “You did well Trystan, I hope you don’t mind that I stepped in, she would have frozen you solid in half a second if I had not.”

Kellan had made it to her room and was just unclasping her cloak when she felt a warm presence behind her. She turned to see Nol standing there and he smiled as she came to him, he embraced her tightly and spoke, “I couldn’t wait any longer Kellan.”

They exchanged pleasantries and kisses, and he stepped back. “Your skin is cold you need to get in a hot bath to warm your body.” He smiled and rubbed his hand behind her neck, the softness of her skin was almost memorizing and he inhaled deeply. He reached with the other hand and unfastened the cloak pin, removing it and laying it over a nearby chair. He then began to unclasp the buckles that attached her plate armor. The leather was stiff and refused to give due to the cold, but he was careful and was able to slowly assist her in getting the steel off her body. He took each piece and returned it to the statuette beside her bed where the armor was hung and stored. Finally with all her armor and under padding removed he cleared his throat and spoke, “I dare say it takes every ounce of restraint in me to not continue, but as is proper, my duties of temporarily standing in as your Squire would not see you out of more clothing than I have already.”

He looked over and saw her dressing screen and motioned, “Please finish and I will get you a hot bath started.”

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Pela moved along with Bad Rock as the Squires escorted then to the quarters. Once they were left alone, she looked around then looked at Bad Rock.

“I feel like a snowflake being pushed along with wind gusts. Are we sure we are doing the right thing, Father? That one….Kali….I heard her voice in my head. It was……intrusive and I didn’t like it.”

She walked around inspecting their living quarters then turned to look at him again and he could see the fear in her eyes.

”I do not want anything to happen to you, Father.”

Rayann let out a sigh of relief as Bad Rock accepted the offer she made him and Pela. As they were led away, she turned and looked at Myth, giving him a soft smile.

”Mel’amin…..I believe we have our work cut out for us. Come….let’s go spend the evening with our son. Tomorrow will be here far too soon.”

She glanced over at Kali as she stood talking to Trystan and smiled giving her a nod. Turning, she walked back to the room she and Myth shared and closed the door.

Aeolis saw Ceri the instant she got within range. He could see her head bobbing as she walked and when he saw her rose colored cheeks, he wanted to rush forward and scoop her up into his arms. It took all of his strength to remain where he was as it seemed time slowed to a crawl. He barely heard the exchange between Rayann and Bad Rock. He only knew when things began to break up. Blinking, he looked around then looked back at Ceri. As Kellan touched his shoulder and smiled before she turned and left he realized it was all done now.

In three strides he was over to Ceri and wrapping his arms around her, picking her up off her feet and hugging her tight to him. He inhaled her scent and nuzzled her neck as he whispered to her in Elven.

”I would travel through a thousand blizzards to feel your warmth like this again, mel’amin. Come….let us retire to our rooms like the others. I am sure I can find a way for you to warm me”

Setting her back on her feet, he looked deep into her dark brown eyes then touched her cheek.

Kellan felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders when Bad Rock and Pela were led away. She had completed her mission and was back among what she considered to be her family now. Word was received from Commander Rose that she would have Kellan report to her first thing in the morning for debriefing.

After making sure Smoke was taken care of, she finally made it to her room. The cold had once more seeped into her body as what ever Nol had done to help her ward it off. When she reached her room she felt the emptiness engulf her and she pressed her forehead against the door. As she felt the temperature increase behind her, she lifted her head and opened her eyes. Turning she saw Nol there and without hesitation she walked to him and embraced him tightly.

She kissed him softly several times and as he began to help her out of her armor and under padding, she felt the chill leaving her body but not because of any magic. When she stood before him in just the thin clothes she wore under her padding, she felt her cheeks grow even warmer. Clearing her throat, she nodded to Nol’s suggestion.

Kellan sat in front of the fireplace in her room wearing her baggy clothes. Her damp hair was drying as she stared into the fire that blazed in the stone hearth. It was rare she drank anything other than water but she allowed herself this glass of wine. Leaning back against Nols broad chest, she felt his steady heartbeat against her back.

”I used to like the snow and winter weather. I won’t be able to look at it in the same light now, thanks to the girl and her affinity to ice magic.”

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Rayann and Myth walked to their room and once inside she rubbed her temples and shook her head.

”Please tell me I’m not insane. Bringing these two into the mix is either suicide or adding fuel to an already volatile situation.”

She looked over at her husband and couldn’t help but smile at the way he was looking at her.

”I’m certainly glad you don’t look at me that way when we’re out in public. I don’t think I’d ever be able to keep my concentration on the subject at hand. And if I were casting, I’d most likely end up turning you into a frog. That would be most distressing. How would I explain to Shaer his mother is in love with a creature that’s small, green and…slimy?”

She couldn’t help but laugh softly at the look on Myth’s face now. Walking over to where Myth still stood, she took his hand in hers and brought it to her cheek. Pressing his hand against her cheek, she smiled up at him.

”When this is all over with, I want us to go back to Silvanost as a family to let your parents get to know their grandchildren. While I know they will never be the ones to follow in your steps and become Speaker of the Stars, I think it’s important for them to know your children by your first wife is still a part of their lives.”
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 am

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 -anime12

As darkness deepened, Saul retrieved the napsack he had hidden when he was here before. Slipping it upon his bach, he moved to a nearby pine tree, drew his sword and sliced a small branch from the tree. Placing his hand upon the severed bark of the tree he said a smal prayer of thanks to the mighty pine. Then he moved down to the valley floor where the wind swirled, blowing the freshly fallen and falling snow across the plain. Slowly he made his way across the field, draging and swishing the pine bough behind him, to conceal his tracks the best he could.

After climbing the rise to the fortresses wall, he concealed himself in the shadow of the gates barbican and the wall. Kneeling, he cut a long branch from the limb and stripped it of its small branches. Then removed his nap sack, opened it and removed a length of rope and a cloak. Saul slid his sword from its scabbard and wrapped the scabbared in the cloak, tied one end of the rope to the center of the scabbard. He then took a thin length of dried animial intenstine and fashioned a bow from the branch. Crawling out a short distance from the wall, he lay on his back with the bow craddled in his feet. Pulling his knees up, placing the end of the scabbard on the bow string like an arrow. Saul extended his legs, pulling the fitted scabbard back and aimed at a space between a crenel (openings) and two merlons (square sawteeth). He let loose the wrapped scabbard and it flew through the crenel and landed softly upon the battlement walkway. Saul the pulled the rope slowly untill the scabbard wedged itsself between the tow melons. Testing to be sure the rope was secure, Saul picked up his napsack, slinging onto his back and slipped his sword in the belt of his cloak, the slowly climbed the rope until his feet were off the ground. He then placed his feet against the wall and climbed, stopping just at the rim of the crenel to listen. Footsteps could be heard rythmically and steadily growing louder. Saul quickly slipped over the wall of the battlements, untied the rope from the scabbard and let it fall to the ground. He then crouched and quickly frog walked to a the shadowy corner between the gates upper bardican and the parapet's wall. About ten meters from where he was hidden he saw one of the gaurds slowly approaching on his assighned circuit. He could hear the footsteps of a second gaurd approach from the oppiste direction of the battlement. Saul slowly withdrew his sword from his belt and tensed slightly, ready to spring, if need be. He prayed that it would not be necessary.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 am

Nol held Kellan and listened as she breathed. Finally when she spoke he rubbed her arm gently and responded, “It’s not winter that is the culprit Kellan, it’s the wielder of magic. Her magic is raw, founded in the natural flow rather than formal training. There is not anything inherently wrong with that but it was not the intention when magic was gifted to Krynn. The natural flow of magic constantly surrounds us and there are individuals that can sense it and even tap into it without devotion to a god of magic. Pela is one of those individuals. Typically they are discovered by Wizard’s and the better ones are offered positions under their tutelage, if not most are met with ‘accidents’ to prevent them from continuing to practice what many Wizard’s consider to be a perverted art.

He felt Kellan stiffen as he talked so casually about wizard’s killing other magic users and he shrugged slightly, “We may not agree with their ways, but they have survived for thousands of years with their way of doing things. Magic is a mystery, and a wonder, but in the wrong hands it is deadly.”

He felt her stiffen again but instantly he knew why, her brother was one of the ones that was a victim of evil magic, “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to bring that up.”

She didn’t say anything, she only pressed herself into him even more and he held her as they watched the fire. He reached up and from behind he stroked her hair, his hand running down her neck and across her shoulder.

After a time she fell asleep and he remained with her, keeping the fire going by occasionally casting a spell into the fire pit, all night he cradled her and kept her safe in his arms, she barely moved and he could feel that she slept soundly in his grasp.

Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Myth was grateful that the encounter was without incident. By Bad Rock's own admission he knew the incidents at Glen Durel would not interfere with events here in Heartlund. While Myth new from experience he could trust the netherman's word in this he could not help but wonder about his daughter. Pela wielded a fair amount of magical power in her own right, but she was only about fourteen summers old at this point if he remembered right. This made her stubborn and prone to rash action with little thought of her actions. As the talks drew to a close Myth waited patiently for Rayann nodding in response to her missive.

Weaving their way through the keep Myth kept his thoughts focused on his family. Their guests had most likely been traveling long and hard and would need the day to rest. He could see the effects of the journey on the young knight Kellan when they had arrived. He made a note to talk to Aeolis about the journey later. There was some curiosity about how the initial meeting had gone, but it was a matter that would wait till later.

Nodding to the guards as they posted themselves to the door Myth entered in after Rayann. As she rubbed her temples he could not help but look at her with that loving gaze that only surfaced away from the public and smiled. When she looked at him he simply chuckled in response to her comment "There are some looks best left in private away from the eyes of others mel'amin."

The touch of her hand to his was always a unique feeling because of the contrast of their skins. Her touch was always gentle, light, and quite soft. In contrast Myth was capable of the same gentle touch but his hands were the hands of a warrior in that the were tough and leathery. The warmth of her cheek spread through his hand as her gently brushed with his thumb. Her words were a bit unexpected and it caused him to raise his eyebrow slightly. It was because he did not like the idea. He simply had not expected it.

"I think that can be arranged mel'amin." He was lost to his thoughts for a moment as he considered things "We both know the challenges that we will face with this decision, but considering the things we have and will face... Well I don't think dealing with a bunch of self-righteous close minded imbeciles will be much of a challenge for us."
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 pm

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 -anime13

The two gaurds approached each other from opposite ends of the battlement, stopped and looked out over the open plain, shuffeling their feet and blowing into thier hands. "The creature is one I would want a few companions close if I were to confront him, that is for sure." One gaurd said to the other.

"I agree, I would want more than a few, perhaps a battallion. I have heard the young girl can freeze your heart from a league away, with just a wave of her hand." said the otherone.

"A league? I think you had been into the ale, to believe such a tale. She is but a mear child." said the first with a stiffled laugh. Then the both turned to resume their gaurd circuit.

Saul listened and thought "If these are examples of gaurds, then this fortress is indeed in trouble." As the too gaurds dissapeared into the blowing snow, Saul rose slowly, sheathed his sword and slipped the scabbard between his knap sack and his back, then scampered across the walkway and ran silently down the steps to the Bailey (courtyard within the walls of the castle) below. Keeping to the shadows he made his way through the streets towards the casle keep, looking for the stables.

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Rayann sighed when she heard Myth refer to his people that way. While she knew he was most likely right, but still thought his words were crass. But then again, it was that precise reason he had left his people to seek a more lucrative lifestyle. He never mixed words and she admired him more than he would know for that. But Rayann also knew how important family was. Even to his mother and father. The twin guards for Shaer were proof of that.

Stepping closer and laying her head on his chest, she closed her eyes and listened to his heartbeat and steady, calm breathing as her arms encircled his waist. Closing her eyes, she stood there with him like that for a moment before she slowly tilted her head back to look up into his handsome face. Her left hand moved to toy with an errant lock of his red hair.

”When the time comes for the confrontation with Fifth and Piramay, I want to send Shaer back to Silvanost with the twins. I don’t want him anywhere near here in case things don’t go the way we hope they will. At least give one of us a fighting chance.”

She didn’t like to talk about this sort of thing but he taught her it was better to plan for the worse and hope for the best. She was putting into practice the lessons she’d learned and in her thinking, this was the only way to protect their infant child. Even though it pained her to even think of being without Shaer, she knew it had to be done.

”We can return to collect him and spend some time with your parents before we return to Glen Durel. Unless there’s someplace else you’d like to go. Anywhere is fine with me just as long as you’re there by my side.”
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Bad Rock had done his best to calm Pela’s fears but the girl couldn’t get to sleep. She was certain guards were positioned outside their quarters and when she opened the door on a crack to see, sure enough, they stood like statues on either side of the door. Chewing on her lip, she glanced back at Bad Rock, who was snoring, then glanced at the guards once more.

Opening the door and stepping outside into the cold, blowing snow, she saw the guards look at her then look at each other. One of them started to speak to her.

“Ma’am….you need to g…."

His words were cut off when he suddenly froze in place. His eyes were wide with fear and try as he may, he couldn’t make a sound. The other guard saw what happened and made a move to alert others when he suddenly found himself in the same situation as his counterpart. Pela put her finger to her lips.

”Quiet. We don’t want to cause any one else to get hurt now, do we? Good. I’ll be back before you thaw so don’t try anything stupid or next time, I WILL kill you.”

The guards could only make odd noises. Pela grinned then started weaving her way through the Keep. Several times she had to duck to keep from being seen by more guards and other Knights moving around. IT was a game to her to see how many people she could out smart and she was doing a very good job at it. After all, Bad Rock had taught her well how to blend into her environment and with her lithe form she was quite nimble.

She had just reached the stables when she realized she was caught if she didn’t act fast. Ducking into the stables, she watched the crack in the door as the men walked by. Furrowing her brows, she saw there was no way she could leave the way she came in so she turned and started making her way through the stables looking for an alternative exit.

She was walking down the aisle with stalls on each side when she saw a door ahead of her open. Quickly ducking into the nearest stall, she crouched low and waited. As she listened, she realized it wasn’t a Knight that had come in. Standing, she dared to peek over the wall of the stall and what she saw was definitely no Knight. In fact, she wasn’t quite sure what to make of him.

He was dressed in clothes that reminded her of what the Elf that came to get her and Bad Rock wore but he wasn’t an Elf. At least, not entirely. He looked, well, rather wild looking. And the fact he was being very quiet told Pela he wasn’t supposed to be there. She lowered her head and watched him through the slit in the rails of the stall and saw his pack and the handle of a blade sticking out of it. Odd. The knights always wore their blades on their hips. He definitely wasn’t a part of their ranks.

A mouse skittered across her foot and she made a sudden movement that caused her to hit the wood of the stall wall. When she quickly peeked through the slit in the rail she couldn’t see the person anymore. Turning and pressing her back to the wood, she looked around. The horse in her stall was starting to get nervous now that he picked up on her own nervousness. She really didn’t want to kill the beast but she would if it came to that.

Turning to look through the slit in the rail again, it seemed as if the man had just.…disappeared into thin air. Perhaps he was a magic user and had ported someplace. Still, Pela didn’t want to take any chances so she eased towards the stalls entrance. Poking her head out, she looked one way then the other. Seeing the coast was clear, she slipped out of the stall and began making her way back up the aisle she’d just walked down. If need be, she’d have to go back out the way she’d come in. Might be a bit on the risky side, but it was better than the alternative.

Just then a figure stepped out in front of her so close that she collided with it. Instantly her survival instincts took over and rush of ice cold air pushed against the figure as well as pushing her back a few feet. Taking a defensive stance, Pela prepared to fight her way out of a bad situation. Her voice was a harsh whisper as she spoke.

”I would advise getting out of my way if you don’t want to end up a frozen statue. A frozen DEAD statue.”
Back to top Go down
Lac'Nal

Lac'Nal

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:57 pm

14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 -anime14

Saul shivvered ever so slighlty, as he stepped back both hands open and extended slightly to his sides. A flash of recognition crossed his face and then vanished almost instantly. "There is no need of unpleasantries. It appears we are both in a place niether of us are ..... shall we say authorized to be. However, if you go out the way you intend, the gaurds will certainly question you." Saul said quietly.

I am sure you are quite capable of giving them an answer that they will surely regret, but then you will not only jepordize your own mission but mine as well. So let us become temporary allies. I will help you escape and in turn you will forget you saw me. Do wee have an accord?" ................. "Oh yes, I just remembered, you and your father dropped this when you met with the knight and the elf." Saul then turned his hand over and there in his palm was a gold coin.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Pela furrowed her brows even more as she listened to the young man talk. He was right and for some reason, that rubbed her the wrong way. Why did everyone have to be right all the time? Why couldn’t she be the one that was right? When he told her he was certain she’d give them an answer they’d regret, she nodded. Her ice blue eyes seemed to take on a devilish glint.

”More so than you know.”

Still, he had a point. If she did something like that. She’d find herself in a great deal of trouble and most likely that Kali would show up and things would just go downhill from there. She and Bad Rock needed the money that was offered and truth be told, she liked the idea of having that much money in her possession. There was a lot one could do with that sort of coffer. But when he offered to become temporary allies, she stood up a little straighter then and crossed her arm before her.

”Seems as though becoming some ones ally is quite popular these days.”

Just then the door Saul came through opened up again and without hesitation they both ducked into the same horse stall and crouched low. Pela took this time to study his face and saw he wasn’t as old as most of the other males around. She would have studied more if the sound of footsteps not trying to be sneaky filled the air. Both of them shrank back into the shadows of the stall as a guard walked by then stood inside for a moment before exiting through the doors Pela had entered. When the coast was clear again, she quickly got to her feet then walked out of the stall again. Glancing in all directions, she looked back to Saul, holding her hand out.

”The gold coin. Now.”

When he produced it again, she quickly snatched it from his hand then turned and started walking towards the door.

”Very well. You help me escape and I will forget I saw you.”

When they got to the door, Pela hung back now and let Saul take the lead. When they reached the door, Saul moved closer to get a better look and that was when he made his mistake. The next thing he knew, he was tumbling out of the door as another one of those icy blasts pushed him violently outside. The noise it caused alerted several guards and the next thing he knew, he was surrounded.

“HALT! Stay where you are or we’ll make sure you can’t move.”

Pela was grinning from ear to ear as she saw what happened to Saul. Now with the guards distracted, she was free to make her way back to her quarters. Once again she made her way back to where she left her guards frozen. As the wind whipped her white hair around, she strolled past her guards, she gave them each a glaring look.

”Mention one word of this to anyone and I will kill you. Good night, gentlemen.”

As the door closed quietly behind her, the guards felt their limbs loosen and were able to move again. They both looked at each other and while they knew it was going to be a punishable offense, they took off running as fast as they could away from the crazed ice queen.

Meanwhile, Saul was quickly stripped of his belongings and taken to the local stockade and placed in a cell. The guards weren’t mean by any standard but one never likes to be locked up when they are so used to being free.

“Rest up, lad. Tomorrow you’ll be questioned.”
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 6:29 pm

As she lay her head upon his chest Myth wrapped his arms around Rayann protectively enfolding her. He took in a deep breath drawing in his wife's scent. He closed his eyes briefly before meeting her gaze and matching her smile. Her plan to send Shaer away to Silvanost was a blessing as he had been considering the same course of action. He had simply not had time to talk to her about it just yet. He knew they would both miss and worry for their son but it was a necessary precaution. Though he was also worried about Kali's own influences on the youngest child given their strong bond. It was a worry he dared not voice for there were to many other concerns on Rayann's mind for the moment.

"We will stay in Silvanost for as long as you are comfortable staying there mel'amin. I would not deprive anyone the joy of spending time with the children. Mother has expressed a desire to spend time with the little one so I think she will be most happy despite the dire circumstances. More so when we finish this business and return to the city."

He slipped an arm from around her and brushed a stray lock of hair from her face "After that... well we'll see what is down that path when we arrive there. My home is where ever my heart is, and my heart is here with my family."

He sighed softly and looked in the direction he new Shaer's room to be a slight frown appearing on his face. "I would not recommend waiting to long to send Shaer to Sylvanost. There are many elements present here in the keep at the moment that make me very uneasy having the young one here at the moment. On top of the towers, Bad Rock, and Pela we also have a situation growing within the knighthood as well because of that one knight. I have confidence in the Commander's ability to mind her house but she has a lot on her plate at the moment with the shift in command and the planning of the attack. It will make dealing with Walter that much harder for her and her subordinates."

He saw that look of concern in her eyes and he looked down and kissed her lightly on the forehead. "I would keep your attention on the towers. I will keep my eyes upon Sir Walter and his ilk." He smiled at her "I am after all the guardian of her ladyship as well as her husband"
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm

The news of Sir Walter wasn’t completely surprising. After all, Rayann had dealings with the man just the other morning and knew he was adding fuel to an already volatile situation. It was only a matter of time before it ignited like dry tinder with hot embers poured on it.

As Myth kissed her forehead, Rayann closed her eyes and let her mind concentrate on the feel of that kiss. Myth never ceased to amaze her on how easily he could sooth her troubled mind and calm her fears with a simile touch or glance her direction.

Looking up at him again, she nodded in agreement with hm, even though the thought of having to send Shaer so soon made her feel sad already.

”I’ll make the twins aware of the plan then so they can be prepared. You’re judgment in picking them was, as always, right-on the mark. They’ve been very loyal and supportive. I’m sure there’s more dignified duties they’d rather be performing than babysitting an infant but they have never once let on they were anything but honored and dedicated to their charge.”

The feel of Myth’s arms wrapped around her protectively always made her feel as though nothing in all of Krynn could harm her. Every day she counted her blessings she took that chance to travel alone with him. If she hadn’t she would have missed out on the most precious thing she could ever have in her life; love.

”Now, more than ever, I’m glad we ended up in that cave like we did, Myth. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without you in it. I want nothing more than to be able to show you each and every day we have together how much I love you.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14: Mixed Minds   14: Mixed Minds - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

14: Mixed Minds
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling :: PORTALS OF ASGARD - Other worldly tales :: Shards of Krynn :: Shards of Krynn Book 1-
Jump to: