Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling

Collaborative Storytelling • A Writer's Sanctuary • Multi-Genre RPG

Main  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Under the Bridge  Grimnir's Inn  RegisterRegister  BLOG  Log inLog in  

11: Balance of Power

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 RayannRed

Rayann listened with rapt attention as Nol told what he knew of the towers and the magic that helped create them. As she listened to all of this, she felt a tingling within her as though she knew it was building up to something much more than just a simple explanation. When Nol delivered the full meaning of all of this, Rayann felt that tingling sensation flow throughout her entire body. It wasn’t something new but it was the first time she truly understood what that tingling sensation meant.

She’d found her true calling in this life.

While she knew magic would always be her Art, she never realized just how much of her knowledge of that Art would come into play. But now, as she sat, holding Shaer in her arms, sitting at the table with her daughter and Nol, she understood the full implication of her new found devotion.

What was even stranger was the fact she was at complete peace with all of this. Rayann was no seer by any means but somehow, deep down in her soul, she knew this was what her reason for being in this world, at this time was all about. As she looked over at Kali, she understood why the Gods had seen it in them to allow her daughter to remain with her.

Giving Nol a warm smile then turning that smile to Kali, she nodded her head and took a deep breath. Her soft voice filled the room as she spoke audibly t both of them.

”My father told me when I was a young girl that all things happen for a reason. We may not understand why at the time but the true reason behind it will eventually reveal itself. This is one of those revealing moments. It all makes sense as to why Shaer was born allowing Kali to remain here with her family. Why we were guided to Lunitari. Why Kali was tutored the way she was and why all of the events leading up to this moment came to pass.”

”Our thirst for the knowledge of the magic we study has increased ten fold since those towers came into being. I didn’t understand why our need to study our new found alliance was insatiable but I do now. No one being can fathom what is needed to try and bring balance back to Krynn. It’s only by acting AS one can balance be restored.”

”Kali and I along with Ceri and the others will be that collective group that will act as one. There are tomes and other artifacts we need to find but it means we’ll have to travel to distant lands to retrieve them. Lands full of danger and death. Lands no one has dared venture to since the Cataclysm. What we seek will be found in the ruins of the once great cities that existed during that time. Back when man turned their back on the Gods and the Gods brought about such destruction all of Krynn was forever changed. Now it seems the people have once again forgotten the past and now they’re being reminded in a rather hateful way.”

Rayann nodded to Nol again.

”I believe I saw something back on the Myst Isle that may help us. I caught a glimpse of it the first day we arrived there. It’s a chronicle of things and places that would be able to aid us in this fight. But if I am not mistaken, that book was not to be removed from you and your dragon friend’s protection. This creates a problem as the chronicle will have specific instructions for us to follow. Instructions we will need on have on hand. Kali and I will have to have the book. While it won’t be easy, we will do all we can to convince the elders of your home. And if that doesn’t work then we will be forced to take the book without permission. I don’t want to do that but it’s the only way we will even have half a chance.”

She reached out and touched his hand gently.

”I don’t wish to put you in the middle of this, Nol. I will only ask you to see if you can get us an audience with the elders. After that, things may get a little….tense. It’s a choice I can’t possibly ask you to make. Not to mention it’s completely unfair to you.”

She removed her hand from his then took another deep breath and looked to both of them again.

” But before we say anymore on that, I suggest we wait until the party from Heartlund arrives so we can find out what they need from us. So it sounds as though we have things we need to prepare for. And with three knights accompanying Ceri and Aeolis, Myth will not be pleased to say the least. Pray all goes well or your dragon friends will be needed for additional repairs to Glen Durel.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 pm

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 NolBanner

Nol felt Rayann’s warm touch and he nodded quietly. He spoke, his voice was strong and steady, “I can get you an audience with the Elder Dragons. Lonraigh is the Grand Dragon, his name translated to your language is Glow, and you will know why when you meet him. Lonraigh is a gold dragon of the ancient days, he has been around for longer than many of the beings on Krynn. He is wise and beyond reproach, for his knowledge and life experience has elevated him to his position. I will fly ahead and announce your coming, and I am certain he will see you.

He stood and turned to Kali. She looked up at him with eyes that swam in her contemplations. He reached down and hissed the spidery words of magic, a small spark leapt from his finger and hit the silver dragon pinned to her robes. The metal glowed for an instant and then dimmed back to its normal appearance. “I give you the power to teleport you and your companions to the Myst Isles. When you are ready, speak the word ‘Ashn’arak’ and all whom you wish will be brought directly to us.” His voice was matter of fact, there was no emotion hid within. Kali stood and elevated herself on her tip toes so she could reach his face placing her lips on his cheek and whispering into his ear. He nodded and touched her chin gently before turning to Rayann, “I will see you in a couple days Rayann, gods be with you.” He walked to the balcony and leapt from its height, a flash of white hot, silver light and he was in his dragon form. The beating of his wings was like thunder as he lofted himself into the air currents and flew into the horizon.

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Kali2

Kali turned and looked at Rayann her face was quiet and full of concerns but she chose to remain silent for now. Instead she smiled softly, but Rayann would see it was a forced smile and there was sadness, concern, and a strong will lingering in her face, “Mother, obviously Shaer can’t accompany us, we will need to make arrangements for him. Father must accompany us, he must know of our departure and we will need his blade. Obviously there are concerns about him coming face to face with Knights of Solamnia, but Ceridwyn wouldn’t lead them to us if she thought it would mean conflict. Yes, Myth performed his duty under the banner of the Dark Queen, but Father, he is renewed and different now, surely she would have explained this to them.”

She reached down and took the tea kettle, pouring it she handed a cup to Rayann and then poured one for herself. She slowly paced as she sipped the warm liquid and for many long moments remained silent. Finally she looked at Rayann, her face was like stone, “This journey is going to be difficult to say the least, and I worry that it won’t end well. Something tells me, that death’s hand is hovering above this whole situation. I have no fear, of the journey or death, but there is a shadow over this whole situation, and we need to face it or it will consume us.”

Kali’s eyes went to her brother, sleeping peacefully in Rayann’s arms. “May I hold him mother? For some reason I am feeling the need to be close to him right now.”

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Ceribanner

Ceridwyn rode alongside Lady Rose for most of the day. She discussed the Mother and daughter Rayann and Kali, their circumstances and their experiences over the last year, and the birth of the child who was nothing short of a miracle. She also spoke in length about Myth’alas, the restored Prince of the Silvanesti. It was words loft with meaning, as Ceridwyn was a pure blood Silvan herself, and was more than qualified to relate the story of the trial, and Nim’Sul’s verdict of innocence that was ruled over the former agent of the Dark Queen. She also explained that rarely did a verdict of innocence come back during a dark trial, so it’s meaning was significant. Rarely was a trial held unless the Defendant had been caught red handed. Ceridwyn gave Lady Rose her assurance that Myth was an Elf restored and though it was wise to bring Knights who had no personal knowledge of him, he could be trusted. “I believe that brings us up to speed on the family. Now it will be a matter of the will of the gods for them to join you or not. My hope is that they haven’t already left, having felt the disturbances and moved to counter the foreign magic that they too surely felt.”

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Sirtrystan

Trystan rode with the party, taking command of their direction so Lady Rose could speak with Ceridwyn. She never gave the order but her nod of agreement during his initial pass by told him that she would give him trail break so she could spend time in conversation and debriefing with Ceridwyn. He set up a revolving schedule with Kellan and the switched on the hour taking point. After the lunch break they rode on for several hours coming to the Ardent Hills, a spance of emerald green landscape that was mesmerizing to behold, shimmering with jagged rocks coated with layer after layer of mica. This was how they came to get their name, for the whole landscape glinted and flashed as the sunlight reflected off the protruding stones. Trystan brought the company to a halt and turned to look at them. “With your permission Lady Rose, I suggest we make camp, there is still an hour or so of sunlight, Aeolis and I can hunt for fresh game while the three of you get things set here. This is a good defendable position should something decide we appear as easy targets. There is plenty of flat ground and wood nearby to make cooking coals.”

He waited and Lady Rose nodded, giving her agreement that it was a well positioned place for them to rest. The shining stones edged the area, and there was one place where three came together and formed a well hidden area where a fire could be safely lit and not send a beacon for miles that they were encamped. “Lady Kellan, will you please see to the comfort of the Lady Mage and set the shelters please, Aeolis and I will be back in an hour at most, should we return without fresh meat, I suppose it’s rations.”

He dismounted and removed his plate mail breastplate and spaulders so he could move more quietly. Turning to Aeolis he smiled as he spoke, “Not that I think I can outshot, out hunt, or out move you, but at least I can try to be quiet enough to not scare anything away.” He smiled and grabbed his bow and quiver, “After you Aeolis, I would never assume to know the woods better than an Elf.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.zinsk.com
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Rayann handed Shaer over to Kali and smiled as she once again moved an errant hair from her daughter’s temple. Seeing her children like this brought a pang to her heart and she prayed silently she would be able to see them like this again, and then some. But like Kali, Rayann sensed a dark shadow over the entire land now, particularly when it came to these towers. The fact she and Kali were going to be putting themselves in harm’s way to try and restore the balance of power to the land they both loved so much was almost overwhelming.

With a deep breath, Rayann stood up and walked to the balnocy she watched Nol take flight from just moments before. Her lavender eyes slipped over the lush landscape that was Glen Durel and she felt herself swell with pride at such a beautiful place. But it was more than what the eye could see that made it so beautiful f to her. There was love in every blade of grass, in every stone, in every flower the bloomed brightly and in every breath of air she felt passing over her.

Love. It was the one element that seemed to bind all others together and it was that element Rayann knew would be tested, tried and found over and over again before the dust settled. And when that dust finally settled, the casualty count would be high. Even for her precious family.

Turning she looked at her children once more and felt a lump form in her throat as moisture began to sting her eyes. Forcing them both back, she took another deep breath. Like Kali, Rayann was not afraid of what was to come n or was she afraid of death. She merely wanted her children to live a long and happy life. Like any mother does.

Stepping back into the room, she walked to Kali and kissed the top of her head then leaned down to place her lips to Shaer’s brow before standing upright once more and looking down at both of them and smiling.

”I suppose I should let your father know of our impending guests. And let him know the Knights mean nothing but diplomacy. Even though I know Ceri has already made sure of that. I would still rather let him know myself then being blindsided.”

Walking out of the room, she made her way through the castle and out the front gates to walk in the thick grass. Like Kali, the red velvet of her robes was a stark contrast to the green grass and she looked like a ruby easing her way through a sea of emeralds. When she reached the crest of the hill that over looked more of the valley beyond, she walked just far enough to the other side then sat down in the soft grass. Closing her eyes, she thought of Myth and smiled lovingly. Her mind reached out to his with a soft caress just moments before her soft voice spoke to him.

~Mel’amin…..my heart does not beat unless it’s in perfect timing with your own. I bring news of visitors to Glen Durel. Visitors you will need to hear news from.~

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Warrior_female

Kellan listened to Aeolis talk about Silvanost and couldn’t help but find herself fascinated with the Elven city, even though she’d never seen it before. Homes suspended within the tree tops? Elaborate walkways connecting the trees? Beautiful flowers and gardens with every color bloom imaginable? Surely this was some place only found in dreams. But when Ceridwyn spoke of it in the same way, Kellan knew it existed.

As she and Trystan took turns taking point, she would think of such grandness of the Elven city as she kept her senses alert on their surroundings. From time to time she would hear things Ceridwyn told to Lady Rose but then she was back guarding the flank and listening to Aeolis speak more about Silvanost. Needless to say, she wanted to visit this place more than anything. Perhaps one day, she thought.

As Trystan brought them to a halt for the evening, Kellan looked around at his choice of camp areas. He couldn’t have picked a better spot. The horse could be tethered close by while they could build a fire without drawing attention to their presence. As Keallan double checked their surroundings with a careful eye, she nodded to Trystan as he gave her instructions for making sure the Lady Elf was made comfortable and shelter was in place for the coming night.

Dismounting and taking the horses over to the place she selected for tethering them, she removed the saddles to give their backs a break, made sure they had a sack of fresh grain to nibble on for each of them, checked to make sure there were no injuries of sores, patted them each affectionately then headed back to the main area where Ceridwyn and Lady Rose were still in discussion.

Getting the water skins, bed rolls and some rations from the horses, she walked over to Lady Rose and Lady Ceridwyn and proceeded to give them each some water before she set about placing the bed rolls in the area that would be perfect for them all to sleep in. Making sure to put the Elves next to each other, she set Sir Trystan’s bed roll up on one end while hers was set on the opposite end and Lady Rose between them. It was done for dual purposes. She didn’t’ want to give Lady Rose anything to be suspicious about plus it was protocol they be set up that way. Besides, Kellan figured, she and Treystan would be taking turns with the watch during the night.

Once she had the sleeping arrangements set up she gathered twigs for the fire and started making an area for the fire making sure to dig a small pit for the fire to set down in to create from making so much smoke.

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Maleelf

Aeolis enjoyed spinning stories about Silvanost to Kellan. Her eyes seemed to take on a slight spark of life and her cheeks regained some color to them that wasn’t induced by emotion. Not to mention it gave the guard a chance to brag about his beloved home.

When they finally stopped for the night, he liked Trystan’s idea of hunting and couldn’t wait to get to the forest and once more practice his skills. As Trystan gave Lady Kellan instructions, Aeolis was already gathering his bow. When Trystan haled for him to go, the Elf smiled coyly and walked past eh Knight jesting good heartedly.

”You still make noise even with the breast plate gone but at least it is less than with the thing in place. Come, Sir Trystan. Let us gather up some food for the ladies. I assure you a kill is for certain this night.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 10:25 am

Kali sat for over an hour with Shaer, looking down at his small face. She could feel their bond growing with him, the connection between his mind and hers was becoming stronger every day. She was noticing she could anticipate his movements, though his ‘thoughts’ weren’t audible in her mind she could sense when he wanted to move his arm, or turn his head, and she could adjust herself accordingly, keeping him as comfortable as possible.

When her mother left to walk the grounds Kali laid down on the large sofa and cradled Shaer between her and the back. She was asleep almost instantly. The smell of him and the quiet of the house, plus all the exhaustive thinking and planning had finally taken its toll. When Rayann returned from talking in missives to Myth she would find both her children sleeping peacefully in the main room.

Ceridwyn smiled at Trystan and nodded thankfully, and then turned to Kellan, “I can aid in the camp preparations Kellan, I may be small but I am not incapable.” She saw that Kellan was hesitant but her smile confirmed that she was grateful for the assistance. “While you dig the fire pit I will gather some wood.” She smiled and nodded the Kellan and walked over to the edge of the trees. She waved her hand over pieces of wood, one by one and they appeared alongside Kellan. The wood literally was stacking itself in burnable size chunks. After she had gathered enough wood to get them through the evening she made her way until she was 50 meters from the campsite. Slowly walking in a large circle around the site she hissed the spidery language of magic, dropping reagents in a noticeable pattern. It took her about 20 minutes to walk around the entire perimeter but when she was done there was a dimly glowing ward that would aid in keeping them safe through the night. She made her way back towards the camp and ran her hand along one of the rocks. She paused suddenly and withdrew her hand, staring at the rock intently for a moment. She cocked her head to the side and stepped back before making her way to the camp. Kellan had the fire pit dug and a fire was burning within. She smiled and sat on her bedroll and noticed that Lady Rose had excused herself and was off at the perimeter of the encampment. Ceridwyn couldn’t tell if she was keeping watch or simply lost in thought, but she decided it was best to leave her be for now.

She turned and looked at Kellan, smiling and speaking, “Thank you for all you have done Lady Kellan, this is not an easy journey for any of us, but you have obvious bravery and ambition, I foresee that you will go far in the ranks of the Knights of Solamnia.” Suddenly her pointed ear twitched sharply and she turned her head looking towards the woods with an intensive stare. In a matter of a few seconds she turned back and smiled a coy little smile as she looked up at Kellan. Whispering she gave a slight wink, “It sounds like we will be having freshly roasted meat this evening.”

Trystan could only laugh as Aeolis spoke in jest. He knew better than to even assume he could out do an elf in the woods. With a soft chuckle he slapped Aeolis on the shoulder gently and whispered, “In this area my friend, I am merely the observer.”

The proceeded into the woods, Trystan did his best to mimic Aeolis steps, walking as the elf did, but as hard as he tried he always managed to find the stick or the dried leaf that gave away their position. Aeolis took it in stride and at one point after the fifth stick snapped like a gunshot under Trystan’s foot he even could have sworn he saw Aeolis’ shoulders shudder with silent laughter at the human clumsiness Trystan was brandishing so expertly. After about 40 minutes Aeolis’ hand came up in a gesture for Trystan to halt. He stopped immediately and combed the dark woods with his eyes, he couldn’t see what Aeolis was gesturing about and he stared intently. Aeolis brought up his bow drawing the strong and instinctively Trystan gripped the string of his own bow, his fingers tightening but still he couldn’t see anything. Aeolis let loose his arrow and there was the distinctive ‘thud’ as the broad head pierced skin. A small deer leapt into the air, a clean shot in the lungs running towards the direction of camp. Aeolis turned with a coy smile and winked. Trystan smiled with a look of embarrassment and shoke his head. In his heart he was grateful that the Elves were with them on this journey.
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 pm

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Ladyrose2

The information that Ceridwyn offered as they travelled over the course of the day gave Rose a great deal of insite and made her feel better about the situation they were walking into. As she feared Rayann's husband did turn out to be the elven warrior known to the knights as Myth. Many were the tales of the old soldiers describing the prowess and feriocity of this elven warrior.

To her credit th significance of the ceremony that Myth had undergone was not lost on her human ears. That the elves had some manner in which to test the truth of a person's heart and soul did not surprise her in the least. In the way Ceridwyn spoke of this test the fact Myth had passed with divine grace was nothing short of a miracle as it seemed that few did. She remembered having an elven war criminal in custody and was enroute to take him to Silvanesti lands when he managed to take his own life less he be called on to go through with some ceremony. In retrospect Rose believed she now knew of what he so feared. Still she would be dealing with a man that many knights would still consider an enemy regardless of recent deeds. Humans had there own way of holding a grudge.

Rose could tell it the day hours were well on there way to parting when Trystan called for the halt. A brief look around the proposed camp site met with her approval. She said nothing letting Trystan lay out the plans for setting camp as she dismounted her horse. She could have easly said the same thing but this trip had become more than a diplomoatic outing. She was going to evaluate Trystan and Kellan carefully as well. There were concerns that had plagued her mind for most of the day and she was going to start dealing with those concerns in one way or another. She had no intention of being overly critical nor did she plan to eye them like a hawk eyed it's prey. She would simply observe and take note.

From the moment they party dismounted to the time Trystan vanished into the forest with the elf Aeolis was watched passively but never focused on any one thing or let her gaze settle. With a sigh she stood from her seat and walked to the edge of the perimeter that Ceriidwyn had set. Her gaze was settled in the direction of heartlund and the people there. Her mind was conflicted by many things and the observance of conduct seemed miniscule in the grand scheme of things but necessary. A small grin graced her lips a she muttered to herself. "Gregory how did we ever manage it..."

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Mythban2

Politics, it was something Prince Myth'alas hated in all its forms. It took the most simple decisions and turned it into a quagmired mess of accusations and back climbing. ANother day of deliberations amongst the counselors about what to do in response tot eh event of high moon. Reports of strange towers in the lands of the solomnic knights had raised many questions. The representatives of the wizard's counsel did nothing to help amtters any with further dark news regarding an apparent massacre at a solomnic stronghold.

As always with the end of the days deliberations over with Myth was in the royal gardens meditating when a calming voice enteredinto his mind. Memories of Rayann's soft skin and the scent of her hair filled his mind as he drew up a mental imagine of his beloved's face.

"As your heart does not beat nor do I take a breathe..."

The news of guests coming to Glen Durel and the fact he would be needed there as well seemed strange. He snesed that it had to deal with the tower and after a short time of discussing matters at length and sharing what the other knew about the details in heartlund Myth grew more certain that he would be needed else where.

"My heart, I will do my best to break away from Silvanost. Based on the information you have given me I am certain I will be arriving at Glen Durel no later than tomorrow eve. Sooner I hope but not later... I had best make haste to pass things on to the speaker. We will talk again soon."

With the goob byes said Myth was exiting the gardens to go seek out his father, the Speaker of the Stars. Things were worse than anyone in the elven court knew.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:59 am

Kellan was grateful for Ceridwyn’s assistance in getting the camp set up. Her training kicked in and Trystan was oplaced to the far back of her mind. Right now, she had to get everything set up for the group of travelers so when the hunters returned with dinner, they could get right down to preparing it for cooking then eating.

As Kellan placed the wood in the pit and started the fire so it wouldn’t smoke, she observed the she Elf, and noted the ease and grace Ceridwyn had in every move she made. For once, Kellan felt clumsy and awkward as she watched the Elf. Especially when Ceridwyn went about casting her spell to protect the campsite and all those who dwelled within it.

When Ceridwyn returned and spoke her words of praise to Kellan, the knight felt her cheeks grow warm and cast her gaze to the fire. Gently poking the burning wood with a larger stick, she shrugged her shoulders slightly.

”Thank you, Lady Ceridwyn. But tis nothing more than what is expected of me and what I am trained to do when not wielding a weapon. I was once told nothing worth having is easy to hold onto. In order to protect that which is yours, you must be brave, even in the face of mind numbing fear, or else what you hold precious will surely be lost. Liam, my brother, said that to me just before he went off to his first battle as a fell fledged Knight and it was then I realized I wanted to follow in his footsteps. I only hope that somehow I can be as brave as he is…was.”

Taking a deep breath, Kellan forced herself to push the swelling emotions back down for fear they would break the damn that held them back. She dared not let them out. Not here. Not now. Her time for mourning would come and until then, she would remain focused on her mission.

When she saw Ceridwyn perk up slightly and look towards the woods, Kellan felt a twinge of anticipation for what the Elf may have heard or seen. Even as good as Kellan’s eyes and ears were, they were no match to an Elf’s. Hearing and seeing nothing, she wasn’t sure exactly what to expect but when Ceridwyn turned and smiled then whispered about dinner, Kellan let out the breath she’d been holding and smiled as well. Fresh roasted meat sounded delicious for dinner.

Aeolis led Trystan through the nearby woods knowing the time of evening was perfect for the deer to be out and about. And with the lack of travelers in this area, it was likely they could at least see one that would foot the bill for them.

The Elf had to smile to himself. Try as he may, Trystan just couldn’t be as quiet as Aeolis but the Elf didn’t hold that against him. He was, after all, human. There were few humans who could master the stealth in the woods as Elves could. In fact, the only one Aeolis could call to mind right now was Kwinn and for a fleeting moment, he wondered how his sister was doing with the Ranger. He was quite the opposite of her refined upbringing.

His thoughts were quickly cut short when he saw movement out the corner of his eye and held up his hand in the universal sign for stop. Trystan halted instantly and crouched lower in the foliage. Aeolis’ eyes narrowed as he saw the deer munching on some sweet clover growing wild on the forest floor. He looked over at Trystan and gestured a few times but the human’s eyes simply couldn’t see the animal.

Finally Aeolis knew the window of opportunity would close soon if he did not act. As much as he wanted Trystan to be to one to bring the animal down, he knew the Knight would not be able to. Slowly pulling his bow up and pulling the string back and letting his fingers brush his cheek, Aeolis saw the deer lift its head when it heard the soft creaking of the bow as the tension was added to the string.

Before the deer had the chance to bolt, Aeolis let the bolt fly and saw the arrow slide through its chest knowing he made a kill shot. As the deer took off towards the camp, he knew it would fall before it made it into Ceri’s protective ward and sure enough, it did.

Looking over at Trystan, he smiled and gestured for the Knight to come with him. Approaching the deer, Aeolis withdrew his hunting blade and knelt next to the deer and spoke in his native language as he ran his hand affectionately down the deer’s neck and side. The animal wasn’t quite dead yet and when he brought his hand back up to the deer’s head, he pressed down gently and brought his blade across the animals neck to make a clean slice, ending the deer’s life humanely.

Within moments, he had the deer field dressed and skinned. While he would have loved to have the deer hide, he didn’t have the time to properly cure it so he buried it along with the contents of the deer’s body. Looking up at Trystan, who helped with the entire process, he smiled as he stood up, and took one end of the branch used to carry the deer back to the camp while Trystan took the other.

”I would say the others will be pleased with the success of our hunt, my friend.”

When Rayann returned to find both of her beloved children peacefully sleeping in the main room of the castle, she smiled loving and left them to their slumber as she began preparing for the guests they were going to have. Her reunion with Myth would be bitter sweet, to say the least, but she was certain there would be a few moments they would have to share alone. While she would always want more, she would not be disappointed in what time she would be given with him.

That thought in itself brought a smile to her face despite the grim news they had received earlier.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:37 am

Ceridwyn looked up at Kellan as she spoke, listening without interruption. She could see the tears welling up in the young Knight’s eyes, and with nothing but bravery alone were those tears held back. So Rose wouldn’t hear Ceridwyn spoke to the lady knight’s mind, the missive was soothing and gentle, ~ “‘Nothing worth having is easy to hold on to…’ Truer words are rarely spoken Lady Kellan. What will you do when your time of choice comes though? Will you chose to hold on and make sacrifices? Or will you choose duty, honor and the fierce competition and blood soaked grass of a man’s world?” ~

She patted Kellans hand gently and smiled. It was a sad smile, a smile that echoed the cryptic words she had just spoken. It was obvious Ceridwyn knew something that she didn’t feel the necessity to share any deeper. She looked over at Lady Rose sitting on the perimeter, obviously lost in thought. She then turned back to Kellan and spoke, “You should go tell your Commander that dinner will be here shortly.”

Trystan was amazed at the ease and quickness of the shot from Aeolis bow. When he was finally able to see the arrows trajectory and the deer buck from the impact he closed his eyes in disgust of himself, disgust not only for being unable to see the animal, but more that Aeolis just made what he estimated to be an 80 meter shot with pin point accuracy. They walked over and Aeolis retrieved his arrow which had exited the backside of the deer and was resting on a bush as if placed there by someone’s hand. They sat and waited a few minutes and at Aeolis lead they tracked the blood trail finding the animal after about fifty paces.

Trystan watched in a jealous amazement as Aeolis whispered what seemed to be prayers over the buck before bringing his suffering to an end. He was about to unsheathe his blade to help field dress the animal but Aeolis was already beginning to work on the beast. He helped, holding the leg up and doing what he could to assist, but Aeolis was so fast and moved with such practiced precision that he felt like he was more in the way. Trystan had never seen someone dress out an animal so quickly, and after they had buried the remains and tied the carcass to the pole he whispered, “Truly your skills in the woods must be marveled even by your kin Aeolis. He extended a hand in respect and friendship and as Aeolis shock it he smiled and spoke, “I hope that you and I live through this and our friendship deepens. It is an honor to know you.”

Aeolis would see the sincerity in the humans eyes. There was obvious admiration and respect looking back at the elf. He nodded and turned, grabbing the carry pole and hoisting it to his shoulder. The wood creaked gently and they made their way back to camp. As they hung the pole between two large stones so the animal was still suspended off the ground Trystan looked around and saw that all was in order. He smiled and nodded knowing that Kellan had done well.

Kali woke and moaned softly. She blinked her eyes and felt her little brother sleeping peacefully beside her. She smiled, kissing his forehead and placing him in the sleeper basket that was set up in the main living quarters near the hearth. He cooed and rolled onto his side, bringing his small hand up to his cheek and brushing at something that wasn’t there. She smiled and leaned in, kissing him again and rubbing her finger along his head above his slightly pointed ear. The ears looked so much like hers, not quite Elven, but definitely not human. She had heard of the distain for half bloods and though she had grown up in a sheltered world where she never experienced it she feared for what she and her brother might end up facing. She frowned slightly and then stood up, turning to look around.

She could not see Rayann so she felt into the field of magic and sensed that she was upstairs. She could also sense that she was deep in thought, the same sensations she always felt after her mother and father had spoken via long distance missive. There was always an atmosphere of sadness and anticipation that hovered around Rayann for a few hours after she had spoken with Myth, Kali couldn’t really explain it but she could feel it. The sensation was unique and unmistakable, and she usually didn’t interrupt Rayann when she felt it.

Not wanting to intrude on her mother’s thoughts she instead strengthened the field of magic around herself, making her presence more obvious so Rayann would sense her immediately. She often did this to let her mother know she was around but was giving her space to come when she was ready. Kali went into the kitchen to make some tea and food for the evening meal. She removed her heavier, outer robes and worked diligently to make dinner. It was getting dark and she was beginning to sense that tomorrow was going to bring something unexpected. Something was stirring in the air, and though she desperately wanted to speak with Rayann about it, she would be patient and wait. Rayann would be in soon enough and they could discuss things then.

Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Kellan wasn’t quite sure what to make of Ceridwyn’s words but one thing was for certain: they were quite ominous. She knew Elves had ways of knowing things other normal beings didn’t so she let it be at that. And while she had many questions now, the ones Ceridwyn posed to her were first and foremost in her own mind now. What exactly WOULD she do when the time came? No doubt it would be questions she would ask herself over and over again.

When Ceridwyn turned to look at Lady Rose, Kellan was prepared to ask a question to the Elf when she informed her she should let her commanding officer know dinner would be arriving soon. Again the Knight knew the Elf had much more sensitive ears and eyes than she did and nodded as she stood up, clearing her throat softly.

”Thank you, Lady Ceridwyn. I look forward to engaging in more conversation with you in the coming days.”

Kellan made her way over to Lady Rose and stopped a couple of feet away from the woman. C=Softly clicking her heels together, she did a quick salute then let the Commander know dinner would be arriving soon.

”Beg your pardon, Commander, but it appears the hunt was a successful one and our dinner shall arrive shortly. We will have it cooking shortly”

Knowing there was no reason to wait for the dismissal to be given, Kellan saluted once more then turned on her heel and made her way back to the fire and double checked the make shift brackets she had for the spit that would be used to roast the meat over the open fire.

She was in that same spot when Trystan and Aeolis arrived with the deer slung between them. She stood up slowly and watched as they made their way towards her. Her eyes were at first focused solely upon Trystan but she realized that was not a good thing to do and quickly shifted her eyes to Aeolis and the rest of the group before stepping aside and making room for the men and Lady Rose to join her and Ceridwyn next to the fire.

Aeolis was well aware of Trystan’s eyes watching everything he did. While there was nothing special about what he was doing, he learned a long time ago to perfect this daily skill and leave as little sign of the kill. That’s why he was able to do it so quickly and efficiently. Not to mention the less time he spent field dressing the animal, the less likely he would be hanging around when other predators smell ed the fresh blood.

As he shook Trystan’s hand, he nodded and smiled as well, slinging one end of the pole over his shoulder as he glanced back at the human Knight.

”Whent his is all over with, I intend to take you out into the woods for a good month to teach you how to be more like an Elf then a human. And I must say, I shall have my work cut out for me.”

He winked in good hearted nature before he turned and walked into the camp where the women were waiting. His eyes zeroed in on Ceri and he couldn’t help but smile when he saw her sitting there. It was all he could do to tear his eyes from her and look to Kellan and Lady Rose, nodding in greeting to both of them.

Sitting the deer between the two rocks, he and Trystan began to slice the meat from the carcass in pieces that would cook quickly without drying it out. Knowing Ceri had some spices in the pockets of the robes she wore, he handed the pieces of meat to Kellan and Ceri for them to place on the spit Kellan had ready for them.

Rayann felt her daughter’s presence when the field of magic strengthened. She had been so embroiled in her thoughts she didn’t feel her daughter until that strengthening. She missed Myth terribly but she never spoke of it to anyone. It was just the way things had to be between them right now and she fully accepted that. But it didn’t keep her from longing for his company and his gentle yet strong touch. Especially after she communicated with him. It seemed to compound her sense of longing all the more. It was always during those times she would find something to occupy her mind and not dwell on missing her beloved.

Thus was the case this time. Knowing there would be guests arriving at Glen Durel in the next day or so, she wanted to make sure their accommodations would be ready. Shrugging off her robes, she hung them lovingly on a peg in the hallway then set about tidying up the guests rooms, fluffing up the pillows and mattresses, even making sure there was fresh straw in the mattresses, and opening up the windows for fresh air to fill the castle. She was just finishing up the last room when she felt Kali’s presence and smiled.

By the time she walked down to the kitchen, with Shaer in her arms, who was wide awake now, there was a delightful smell filling the place and a warmth that filled her heart. Wearing her customary tunic, leggings and the soft boots Myth had given her when they first met, she moved to where Kali stood and kissed her daughter on the forehead, a trait she had picked up from Myth.

”I have to say, Kali, your culinary skills are vastly improving. Perhaps I should have taken more interest in the kitchen when I was your age. Perhaps one day you can teach this old dog a new trick or two when it comes to using large kitchen utensils and the like”

She looked down at Shaer, who was rather bright eyes and interested in what was happening around him.

”What do you think my little man?”

AS if to answer his mother, he smiled brightly and let out a cry of excitement that filled the room and made Rayann laugh softly.

”I’m not sure if that’s a yes or a no.”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Ceridwyn watched Kellan as she moved around. There was something about this human woman. She was different, there was something in her that others missed, but Ceridwyn was starting to pick up on it. As Kellan locked her eyes on Trystan Ceridwyn observed her. The fast motion to adjust her sight to Aeolis was subtle and barely noticed, but Ceridwyn caught it and sighed softly. To be so close to love, and yet deny one’s self, what a sadness it was. She knew from experience the dread of facing each day with yearning and heart aching shivers. Of course, she overcame those things hundreds of years ago, after those few years of happiness had faded she never approached the idea of loving flesh and blood again; that was until now.

She watched Aeolis, he was like a panther and she felt the burn in her heart as she took in the sight of him. The look on her face lacked any sort of subtlety or attempts to hide the hunger in her eyes, and yet, she was perfectly at peace and as calm as a rabbit in a world absent of foxes. Her eyes glistened as the fire reflected off of them and she smiled when Aeolis made eye contact, he would understand, and as he tore his gaze away from her she chided him, speaking in missive, ~ “And his lordship manages to deny his appetite, what a pity, just when the predator was so close to catching his prey.” ~ When his wide eyes, full of surprise looked back at her she merely blinked slowly and looked away, that all too familiar sly and flirtatious smile crossing her face as she spoke to Trystan, “Sir Knight, we thank you for your efforts this evening in finding us some meat.”

She was holding back her laughter with everything she had as she watched Aeolis looking between her and Trystan, his eyes as wide as a humans. She turned back and looked at Aeolis, speaking with well covered sarcasm in her voice, “My Lord Elf! Your face… do you have gas?”

Trystan couldn’t help but smile as Aeolis ribbed him about his obvious lack of woodland skills. He wanted to defend himself, explaining that he was not trained for forest creeping but for skull bashing on the open fields of battle. Knowing that Aeolis was only egging him on he simply smiled and gently shoke his head. The walk back was as quiet as the walk out, Trystan didn’t know a lot about the woods, but he did know to keep quiet lest you attract unwanted attention.

Trystan couldn’t help but smile as Kellan looked at him, but his smile was hiding the true expression of welcome he wished to give her. He hid his emotions so well in fact he doubted even Kellan would know them, not that she probably couldn’t have guessed. He watched with awkward interest as Ceridwyn ribbed Aeolis, he wanted to speak of Aeolis’ marksmanship and his incredible stealth in the woods, but when he was opening his mouth to do so the look on Ceridwyn’s face begged him to not spoil her game.

Kali smiled as her mother entered the kitchen and as Rayann placed her lips on her forehead she closed her eyes and felt the sparkle of magic exchanged between them. As they pulled back from each other she looked around the kitchen as her mother mentioned her growing culinary skills. Kali could only laugh as she thought about herself in the kitchen, “I think it’s more a matter of getting by now that I live without servants who would do all this crap for me.”

She laughed out loud, it was the first genuine laugh that Rayann would have heard from her in months, the weight of the world lifted from her shoulders for just a few seconds.

She walked over and grabbed the three trays she had prepared and brought them to the stone island seating area that stood around the hearth. It was the more casual eating spot and since it was just the three of them she felt this would be more cozy. She poured some tea for the two of them and gave her brother a small hunk of soft bread to chew on. As her brother squealed and Rayann mentioned not knowing whether Shaer was giving a yes or no Kali’s face went slightly pale. She looked up at Rayann with a look of surprise, her lips quivered slightly and she closed her eyes as she took in a deep breath. She opened her eyes and spoke through a smile in a soft whisper, “He understood you mother, and his answer was ‘yes’”.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:47 pm

Kellan was mid stride in placing a slab of meat on the spit when she heard Ceridwyn ask Aeolis if he had gas. The question was so off the wall that the Knight stopped and looked around as an awkward silence came over the small group. Her light brown eyes shifted from Ceridwyn to Aeolis then to Trystan where they lingered for a moment before going back to Ceridwyn.

Aeolis was just as stunned as the others with Ceri’s words but he knew her enough to know her practical joking side. Blinking and gathering up as much dignity as he could, he took on a haughty look (which he had plenty of practice doing in the past to perfect it) and looked down his nose at her.

”My Lady Elf, I am a trained Guard. Gas is not an issue for me until I deem it so. And from the way things are set up, I would say you would be the one to be wary of such an episode this night.”

A decidedly devious smile eased over his features making him look quite sinister. In fact, the humans were sure to think he was a wolf in sheeps clothing by the way he was looking and acting now. So like his old, deceitful self. In reality he was sending Ceri his own missive that was certain to bring color to her already flushed cheeks.

~Ah but a good predator knows that in order to capture his prey he gets as close as he possibly can then springs the trap and devours it slowly instead of rushing in and causing it to run away scared. It is all about the game for the predator.~

Kellan’s soft chuckle eased over the area after she heard Aeolis’ response to Ceridwyn’s question. No doubt the two were quite playful with each other. Somehow she had a feeling the Lady Elf could be like that. Still, as she watched the exchange between Aeolis and Ceridwyn she knew there was something going on between them she was not privy to. Especially by the look on Aeolis’ face followed by the look on Ceridwyn’s. She looked over at Trystan then and felt her own cheeks flush. The memory of the kiss they shared still burned in her mind as well as brought a tingle to her body. What would have happened if they had more time to go further? Would she have called a halt to things like she did then?

Finally realizing she was staring at Trystan she quickly snapped out of her thoughts and cast her gaze at the meat she was placing on the spit. She couldn’t let herself get caught looking at the man with stars in her eyes. Lady Rose would know what was going on right then and there and call for an immediate correction which would mean she would get sent back to Heartlund and that was the last thing Kellan wanted right now.

When she finally got the last bit of meat she could over the fire, she looked to the others, including Lady Rose and nodded as she stood up.

”We should have about half an hour before the meat will be done cooking. By your leave, M’Lady, M’Lord, I would like to clean up a little before I eat.”

Rayann’s face went blank for a moment before breaking into a bright, breath taking smile. She reached out and hugged Kali tight then slowly released her grip on the girl, resting her hand on Kali’s cheek.

”The bond that was severed between Rorie and I has formed between you and Shaer. Oh thank the Gods. I dared not wish for such a thing but it didn’t stop me from hoping. It seems the Gods have heard my unspoken words and restored something I thought was forever lost.”

Casting her eyes upwards, towards the heavens, Rayann spoke softly.

”Thank you. All of you….for giving my children the ability I foolishly lost.”

Looking back down at Kali, her eyes shimmered with moisture she forced back and smiled even more.

”It will only grow, Kali. As long as you keep yourself open to him and vise verse there will be nothing the two of you can’t do together. Even when distance separates you.”
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Rose's eyes remained focused on the darkness in the distance. Thoughts of the past had drifted to the back of her mind. Once more the current problems of the world were at the fore front of her thoughts. While the skies in the direction of the towers brought a sense of dread the journey they had embarked upon filled her with a sense of hope. This was not going to be an easy journey for any of them, but she was confident in the outcome.

She only glanced slightly when Kellan informed her dinner would be soon. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she bottled up her thoughts for the evening. There would be plenty of time to think upon things in the coming days. Spinning upon her heal she walked back to the center of their camp a soft smile planted upon her lips as she recalled thoughts of the past to lighten her mood.

When Aeolis and Trystan reappeared with dinner well in hand Rose could not help but notice the humbleness in Trystan's posture. She knew well the elves skill in hunting and was certain Trystan was shown to be quite the fool, but not on purpose. Rose could only shake her head as she listened to things however when Ceridwyn commented on the look on Aeolis' face she almost spat her drink of water out as she stifled a laugh. It was a rare sight to behold for the two knights.

The playful banter between the two elves was amusing but also troubling. The two were quite open about how they felt and she could not help but consider how cruel it was to Kellan and Trystan who clearly needed to hide what they felt because of protocol. She looked up and nodded to Kellan as she excused herself before setting her own water flask down. Rose waited for a couple minutes before standing and straighten herself up before looking to Trystan.

The look on her face was all business as she spoke "Sir Trystan, I would have words with you in private if you please." She sighed mentally and as she turned away from Trystan her eyes lingered on Ceridwyn. It was a look requesting privacy for she knew how good an elf's hearing was. There was a brief sigh as she moved away from the fire in the opposite direction Kellan had gone. The timing and choice of direction made it clear what the discussion may entail.
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Ceridwyn’s cheeks flushed, but the visual expression of her embarrassment left as quickly as it appeared. She narrowed her eyes on Aeolis and with a thin smile she spoke aloud, “My Lord Elf, you affront me a’fore these good folk. Dare I remind you that you as a Guard of the City of Silvanost, even as the Head of that guard I outrank you as a Wizard of the Speaker? Perhaps I shall have to dole out a worthy punishment for your insubordination.”

The ‘outranking’ was a stretch at best, though it was technically true there was little formality in it. The Wizards of the Speaker outranked all members of the military and the guard during times of conflict or war but other than that there was little to no interaction between them. The look on her face was uncanny by this point. The humans would most likely be completely unaware if these two were joking or serious and when the looks were exchanged between them it would confuse them even further. Ceridwyn pin pointed her gaze sharply and stared Aeolis down. Her missive to him was laced with a softness that seemed to hit him directly in the frontal lobe. It was like the sensation of her nails gently brushing down his neck and bare back, ~ “A'maelamin, though you feel the need to toy with your prey, I am no rabbit. Perhaps the lion has finally met the lioness, and the lioness though she appears timid and weak is capable of quite a bite, especially if the time and place are right. It is a game for the predator to stalk his prey, but if the prey is aware of the predators presence she might simply walk away undetected.” ~

Trystan quirked a brow as he looked from Ceridwyn to Aeolis and then to Kellan. He noticed the slight sparkle in the Lady Knights eyes, and though he wanted to return the bright glint in his own eyes he withheld and maintained his professionalism and his proper place as her ranking officer. He turned away as she dismissed herself to Lady Rose so she could wash up and turned his attention to the spit. The meat was tucked up and placed properly. Satisfied with Kellan’s work he nodded and looked at Lady Rose, “Commander, I concur, we should have food in about 25 minutes.” He turned to Ceridwyn and cleared his throat softly. She broke her gaze with Aeolis. He could see in her eyes that there was something else being exchanged between them beyond words, and it was obvious to him now that this was lover’s banter, not conflict, and he felt a hint of jealousy. As she turned with a soft smile he couldn’t help but admire the incredible beauty in her face. His eyes lingered on her face a second or so and he spoke, “Miss Ceridwyn, I don’t know if you have a way to hide the smell of cooking meat or in some other way you can mask us so that we can smoke the remainder of this meat tonight? I only ask because there is still at least 100 pounds uncooked. Smoked we could yield around 25 or 30 pounds. It would be advantageous to do so but I don’t want to risk attracting animals or worse with the smell of reducing the moisture from this meat all night.”

Ceridwyn smiled and nodded. She spoke as she looked at Trystan, “Of course Sir Knight. When we are done cooking dinner I will do as you have asked. Our visual presence has already been dealt with as I rounded the camp and cast my wards. Kellan had already dug the smokeless fire pit before I had a chance to tell her that it was unnecessary, so I didn’t mention it. I don’t want to discourage her, she has enough tough choices ahead of her I don’t need to be burdening her with things she is doing right.”

Trystan looked at Ceridwyn curiously and then looked over his shoulder at Kellan who was a distance away washing her hands and face. He turned back and Ceridwyn could see the questions on his face before he even asked them, “What do you mean Ceridwyn? What choices?” Ceridwyn smiled and her eyes went right to Trystan’s heart, he could almost physically feel her looking at him with those dark, chestnut brown eyes. “As I said Sir Trystan, let me know when you would like me to prepare the atmosphere to mask the cooking smells.”

Ceridwyn looked up as Rose spoke and she nodded her head understanding what the Knight of the Rose was requesting. She brought up her hand and whispered, “Tershnausus albreshnifrack”. The words were spidery and soft, lingering in the air a brief second before a soft glow left her hand. The barely glowing sphere moved towards Rose and then split, half settling on Rose’s head and the other half on Trystan’s. Ceridwyn’s missive softly entered Rose’s mind, ~ “I have cast an encryption spell on your words, none will understand either of you until the spell is ceased. Gesture to me with a nod when you are done and I will dispel the charm.” ~

As Lady Rose spoke Trystan shoved Ceridwyn’s words to the back of his mind and he stood, nodding to her out of obedient habit and then the look on her face finally caught his attention. He nodded his head a second time, this time his gesture was one of understanding and his stomach went to knots. Ceridwyn’s magic wafted between them and he shoke his head, still trying to begin to grasp what this Lady Elf might NOT capable of. He moved in rank with his Commander and followed her a distance so that they were near the wardings. As she turned to face him he looked at her and spoke preemptively. “Ma’am, before you speak, with your permission might I say something.” She nodded and he continued. “I admit that Lady Kellan and I shared a moment last night at the Keep in Heartlund, but it was only a kiss. It was a moment of weakness for both of us as we were discussing her brother’s death. As you know her brother meant everything to her, and he was my Mentor for 7 years until his death. We were both emotional and overtaken with sorrow. I am not making excuses for I understand that it was inappropriate for me to allow it to occur, and though it might sound foolish it was simply a brief moment of human compassion over riding trained protocol. I do understand the procedures and disciplinary actions necessary when these sorts of things occur and I should not have hidden what happened from you. With that said, I would request that should you see it fit to exercise punishment for what happened that it would be administered to only myself and that you please hold me one hundred percent accountable. I am the one that initiated the kiss, and I am the ranking officer.”

Rose would see the look in his eyes, there were no tears, there was no emotion. He was speaking with true sincerity and she would see that the burden of living with an untold truth being let out into the open was already causing his shoulders to slump slightly less.

Kali smiled as she felt her mother’s arms around her and she closed her eyes in the embrace. As Rayann pulled away and looked at her she felt her own eyes well slightly and looked at her brother. “He is a happy boy mother, content and full of love. I can feel these things suddenly. The sensation is growing more and more each day. I can feel his movements before he makes them, a split second before he moves his arms or legs I can anticipate it, I know what he is going to do. It’s the strangest feeling, unlike anything I have ever experienced.”

She walked over and cupped her hands over Shaer’s ears and kissed his forehead. He squealed with happiness and shoved more of the soft bread into his mouth. Kali stood upright as she released him and turned to Rayann with a smile. “Well mother. Since we are having guests and a new journey is upon us I suspect we need to be thinking about what to pack. I don’t know what we are about to walk into but I have a feeling that we will be gone a good long while this time. I have taken the liberty of pre-casting teleportation keys for us so we can come back without expending energy. I figured it might be good to have an out should things get hairy.”

She reached over onto the counter and handed her mother a small white handkerchief. “This is your key. The magic phrase is “Esher’inak”. Focus on the object and speak the word into it and you will be brought back to the topmost floor of Papa’s tower. I made one for myself and Father as well. Call it paranoia or simply being prepared but I have a feeling things aren’t going to be pleasant when we arrive in Heartlund. The tremors in the field of magic are negative, and they are steadily getting stronger.”

The look of happiness left Kali’s face. It had been there for those couple moments and now she was concentrating again, furthering the plan, reevaluating the decisions and moving around the pieces that would determine her actions no matter what the circumstance. She stared at her plate and absentmindedly placed a grape on her tongue, chewing out of habit more than deliberate intention.
Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 am

Rose waited patiently letting Trystan speak his peace. She carefully measured his words and took into account what she knew of the man. This wasn't exactly how she wanted to approach the matter but was thankful for the opportunity to get things over with faster. She sighed walking over to a nearby stump and sat down before leveling her eyes upon Trystan. She held him with a stern look for several seconds before it softened and she offered a rare look of compassion. It was these moments that had earned her the name of "Rose Commander" more than anything. There was the soft caring yet beautiful side and then there were the thorns. She was equally capable of being fair and unforgiving.

"Relax yourself Trystan... regardless of who initiated the event it is irrelevant. At this point in time I have no intention of perusing any form of punishment. We are knights of Solomnia yes but we are also human beings. Try as we might to control our emotions and actions it impossible to control the human heart. I know this far better than you may know."

She offered a half hearted smile before reaching into her tunic producing a pendent that was familiar at least in part to Trystan. It was a knight's sword wrapped in the vines of a rose. While the rose was not the familiar part it was the sword piece inserted into it that would spark a memory. His mentor Sir Gregory had always worn the pendent remarkably similar but upon his death it had been sent away as per the tenets of his will. It had never been publicly stated who it had been sent to. "This belonged to a man who was more important to me than anything else in this world. His honor and loyalty to the order were undeniable but his loyalty to his heart was greater." Rose slipped the pendant away again saying nothing more about the previous owner. She knew by the look on Trystan's face what she had revieled to him about his mentor.

"I am not one to judge your actions Trystan.. I've been there. If you were any other knight I would have Kellan sent to the farthest reaches of the in a heart beat, but I believe you capable of painting the line between love and duty. In the event that an issue does arise I do have a plan in mind to deal with any complications that I or any other commander perceives. So for the moment Lady Kellan will remain under your command until such a time that I believe your relationship interferes with your duties." The confused look still on Trystan's face made her want to giggle like a little girl but she refrained.

"I realize this is out of the norm and out of the lines of protocol but I've been in your shoes. I've seen the love building between the two of you for years now and I am happy to see it finally taking a deep root. However it is a fine path that you will both have to walk. Your actions will be scrutinized but no more than I already do Trystan for I am hardest on you above all others and you know this." she crossed her arms patiently "what say you about this?"

Back to top Go down
serredeth

serredeth

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 1:01 am

11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Mythban2

"Watch your back... humans are not the most forgiving of people." Those were words Myth's father had ended there talk with. Myth had relayed the information brought to Rayann by way of the silver dragon Nol. The events of the new moon had been caused by something sinister and Myth knew it would affect all on Krynn. His father argued that he need not attend the meeting, that it was a knight's affair and therefore a human affair. If the knights wanted help they would ask for it.

Myth's patience was always tested when it came to the elven views towards the lesser races. Myth had spent decades out in the world and he knew that nothing like this would affect just one people. It took some time but Myth was able to finally point out that the knights had disembarked from heartlund a city near that was near the mysterious towers and that these knights may be traveling to Glen Durel because they had information

Reluctanltly the Speaker agreed as did the assemblage that had watched the discussion. When matters moved to a more private location his father revealed his concerns about his son meeting with Knights of Solomnia. Myth had lead forces in a clash with the minghts more than once and his name was known by many veterans. Myth only nodded his head and smiled "Father I assure you if the knights were invited by Ceridwyn she will have taken steps to insure that an issue will not arrise. However I will keep a weary eye upon my backside lest I be proven wrong. If conflict should rear its head I will lay it low so that the issue at hand is quickly returned to the forefront of our meeting."

With a sigh the speaker nodded his head but kept a stern look "Be that as it may I am still sending two members of the royal guard with you Myth'alas."

Myth was about to protest when his father stood. Myth's mother had entered the room bringing in a drink for the two of them. "They are not for you my son... they are for your son. You are a capable warrior Myth but I have looked through the mists of visions. A journey awaits you and someone will need to keep an eye on your son." Myth quirked an eyebrow in confusion. "Your child may be a half blood but the child is still of royal blood. He is still afforded the protections of his house..."

Handing Myth a glass of water his mother smiled "I also insisted..."
Myth could only shake his head as he looked at his parents. His father bore the weight of his station well but he was still capapble of being a father when he could manage it. His mother smiled takign his glass. "Now get out of here and choose who you will take with you. I am sure your wife is eager for your return... the city won't fall apart without the prized son of the speaker."

Myth was shooed off still shaking his head as he thought of the days events and the difference between both talks with his father. Gods how he hated politics.

Myth had taken the time to pack for his trip and was exiting the manor house when he was greeted with the sight of the assembled royal guard of the speaker and their commander. If there was an elite among the elite that soldier was standing here in this assemblage. The men brought into the royal guard capable of giving even Myth a good work out on a bad day. The commander stepped forward and bowed "The speaker has already given me your orders and these are the volunteers whom you may choose from m'lord Myth."

Myth could only quirk his eyebrow slightly as he looked at the commander. Myth knew the numbers and he knew that the only men not standing here before him were in his father’s presence. In the months since his return he had worked with the royal guard and home guard to improve upon the cities defenses. He had worked with nearly every member of the guard in some way shape or form be it labor or training. A slight grin crept onto Myth’s face as he considered his options.

“I have made my choice … I’ll take the twins… Killara and Sollara”

The commander gave an off look before nodding his head as Myth shouldered his pack. “I have little time to spend waiting. One of the mages from the conclave will be able to open a portal to the out skirts of Glen Durel. I will be departing immediately and am not able to take more than myself.” Myth was holding the Rose in his hand and it was beginning to work its magic. There was little time to respond as Myth was pulled through to Glen Durel leaving the commander to bark orders and get the guard back to work.

Myth’s eyes opened finding himself standing upon the balcony outside his room at Glen Durel. He took in a deep breath and smiled smelling the evening air and feeling a cool breeze run through his hair.
It felt good to be home.
Back to top Go down
RPMistress
SWATTER
SWATTER
RPMistress

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 9:49 am

Aeolis and Ceri played their mental game all through the light meal. After Trystan and The Lady Rose returned from their conversation, Kellan had returned as well and a strange silence fell between them. It was obvious Kellan was well aware the other two knights had a conversation she Aeolis was certain the Lady Knight knew the topic had something to do with her. But, true to her training, she never let on she was aware of anything and tended to her duties faithfully.

The Elf Lord chewed pensively on some of the finely cooked venison as he watched the three humans from where he sat, reclined, with Ceri. His green eyes were as sharp as ever as he caught onto subtle things each was doing.

~So it appears, just from the way the three humans are acting, as though the cat is out of the bag. So to speak. What do you suppose the Lady Rose will do now? Will she allow them to remain as they are or will she ship the young Lady Knight off to some remote region of Krynn? I, personally, think it would be detrimental to Lady Kellan should she have to finish her training under another but I do understand protocol must be maintained. It should be interesting to see just how this will all play out. Do you agree?~

Kellan had turned to see Trystan and Lady Rose engaged in conversation and watched from a distance. Dread filled her as she could only imagine what that topic was about. She’d seen the way Lady Rose watched her and while Kellan had tried her best to hide her feelings for Trystan, she knew she hadn’t done as good a job as she wanted. When Lady Rose and Trystan seemed to end their conversation, Kellan turned around once more to make it look as though she’d never turned to see th em talking. After a few moments of regaining her composure and putting a look of indifference on her face, she took a deep breath and turned to walk back to the camp.

When she returned, she nodded to both Trystan and Lady Rose then set about making sure the provisions were distributed evenly and when the meat was done, she sliced some of the delicate venison off and handed it to each of the others before she sliced some for herself. She didn’t say much other than the normal words spoken in conversation of a group and each time se looked to Trystan, she never really looked him in the eye. Her gaze was always slightly diverted to his chin or ear. Her fate, she was certain, was hanging in the balance right now and she knew she had best prove she was a Knight above all else so Lady Rose would not see fit to send her away. It was a precarious line she was walking and she wasn’t sure if she was doing a good job at maintaining her balance.

Rayann and Kali had talked over the meal Kali had prepared about the upcoming visit and the journey to follow. Rayann found she loved hearing Kali’s take on everything, It seemed as though her daughter had a keen insight and Rayann loved hearing her express her opinion as well as formulate things out loud. They hashed up every possible scenario from start to finish and by the time the dinner was over with, they felt as though they at least had a good base to build upon if nothing else.

After the kitchen was cleaned up, Kali excused herself to study while Rayann took Shaer outside and sat with him in the rolling, emerald color grass of Glen Durel near the castle. He was growing stronger each day and he was beginning to show an independent streak in him and as Rayann sat with the lively child, she allowed him to exercise his muscles using her gentle hands to hold him up.

When she laughed Shaer would squeal in delight and smile brightly at her. His green eyes were so much like Myth’s that she knew he would mesmerize others as his father did. They were sharing a particular happy moment when Rayann felt the magical fabric that existed around her ripple as though a pebble had been dropped in a still pond. Shaer had ceased his activity and his eyes focused not on Rayann but over her shoulder at the castle.

Instantly Rayann felt Myth’s presence and she smiled brightly. Turning her head to glance over the shoulder Shaer was looking, she saw the brilliant red hair and the tall frame of her beloved husband. Looking back at Shaer, she brought him closer to kiss his cheek, gathering him up in her arms as she stood.

”Come my little man. Your father has returned home. Let’s go see him, hm?”

Again Shaer squealed in delight and kicked his feet as Rayann turned to face Myth. She locked gazes with Myth for a moment before she disappeared from the grassy field only to appear behind him on the balcony. Her voice was near breathless and full of emotion as she spoke softly to him.

”Mel’amin…..Cormamin lindua ele lle (my heart sings to see thee)”

As if on cue, Shaer squealed and kicked his feet as he looked upon his father with bright eyes and an even brighter smile on his face. Stepping closer, Rayann wrapped her free arm around Myth’s neck as he bent down and closed her eyes taking in the scent of him once more as she closed her eyes.

~I’m so glad to see you~
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 am

Trystan listened to Lady Rose intently and as she produced the pendant he studied it carefully. He had flashing memories of Sir Gregory wearing the sword pendant. He had never really paid that much attention to it, only that he never saw his former mentor without it. He had known more of Lady Rose than anything before Sir Gregory died. They had never formally met until he was reassigned under her command three days after Gregory’s funeral. To see the sword now inserted into the tangled roses brought a flood of emotions to his eyes and he felt them well up slightly. He looked up at Lady Rose and saw the look on her face, the confirmation of what he was thinking. So many things that Gregory had said to him, cryptic messages laced with an underlying sadness suddenly filled his head and he felt dizzy. He remembered a night, about seven days before Gregory was killed. The two of them were on their way back to their station, sitting by the fire and enjoying some quiet company with one another. Gregory seemed sad that night and Trystan inquired. Gregory looked up at him and with a weak smile said, “Duty sometimes has to supersede when you simply want to stop and smell the flowers lad.”

Trystan looked up, he had let his eyes drop so he was looking at Commander Rose’s feet. He nodded gently, showing that he understood what she was saying and spoke in a whisper, “What say I? Well first let me say thank you. It is hard to find the balance, but I pledge that I will. Second, let me say that I will also not allow our duty as Knights of the Solamnic order to be compromised and third, I never took you as one who would partake in a good intrigue.” The last statement came with a wink; he was jesting with her and hoping to lighten the mode a touch. Lady Rose’s smile and the slight shake of her head, that same movement she made when she was trying to keep it together and not show too much emotion made it obvious that she got the joke. He nodded in confirmation of all they had spoken about and he turned, gesturing for her to take the lead as they made their way back to camp.

Trystan sat and watched Kellan, her awkward movements were obvious, she was nervous and was keeping busy to avoid her own thoughts, but Trystan could tell it was to no avail. After she had finished serving and had eaten Trystan stood and smoothed out his tunic speaking to Kellan, “Lady Kellan, I would see you on the perimeter in three minutes please, we need to discuss the watch assignment and duties for the morrow.” He nodded as she made eye contact and walked beyond the light of the fire towards the perimeter that Ceridwyn had set up for them.

Ceridwyn watched as Rose and Trystan made their way back to camp, with a look from Lady Rose Ceridwyn spoke the word of magic and both Rose and Trystan would feel the magic lift from them, their speech would once again be recognizable and understood by everyone. Her soft eyes looked at Rose with understanding and she nodded ever so gently, giving a hint of a smile. Though she had not heard a thing that the two had discussed the look on Rose’s face, as well as the one on Trystan’s was obvious to her. She rested her head on Aeolis’ shoulder and closed her eyes as she spoke to his mind, ~ “I don’t know what will happen from this point a'maelamin but one thing is certain, the human spirit will prevail. In my time with humans I have still to unravel the motivation behind their behavior. They are capable of the most hideous acts of evil but also the most beautiful acts of compassion and love. I think it is these massive emotional swings that keep their ways and mannerisms so foreign from our understanding. They live their lives with such fervor and purpose, sometimes I think it is more a curse than a gift that we Elves are graced with such long life. It has made us so grey in a world full of such color.” ~

She sighed deeply and as her words trailed away he would feel the weight of her sink into him, she was fast asleep, exhausted from a day of travel and casting spells to protect the area around them. Now, with a full belly and a warm place to lay her head her small body finally gave way to the call for rest.

Last edited by zinsk on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:38 am

Kali was sitting by the hearth fire studying. Her appetite from knowledge and strengthening her power was as insatiable as ever. She was thick into the stockpile of spell books that Papa had left behind, seeking knowledge and magic that was once locked away and now so close to the ends of her fingers. She felt stable and deeply rooted; the magic she once sought only for personal and selfish gain was now being revealed to her but for a different purpose. She could now understand truly what and why magic existed, and she embraced this like a lover.

The pull on the magic field brought a smile to her face and she instinctually looked up at the ceiling. Though she could not see through walls, she could feel the appearance of her father as the magic field warped and then returned to normal. He was upstairs. She then could feel Shaer’s excitement, and she could see a blurred outline of Myth standing on the balcony above as her little brother squealed with delight. She then felt the distortion in the river of magic again as Rayann teleported Shaer and herself to the balcony above. With a smile she closed the white spell book and rubbed her finger along the midnight blue spine, whispering words of magic to seal the book and tucked it into her robes. She stood and smoothed her robes speaking to herself, “Well, I guess there is only one person missing from the family reunion.”

She decided to walk up the stairs. She had been curled up on the sofa for several hours and stretching her legs a little seemed like a good idea. She went up to the third level of the castle and walked to the end of the hall where her mother and father’s room was. She smiled at the thought of seeing her father again as she grabbed the door latch and twisted. Her brother was squealing and she walked into the room, stepping over to where her family was. She waited until Myth turned to look at her and she smiled warmly, reaching out and embracing him fully, collapsing into her father’s hug. It was a hug she needed, for as much as she loved spending time with her mother, sometimes a little girl just needs a hug from her daddy. She whispered as she held him, “ ’Quelun’dome atar, creoso amar.” (Greetings father, welcome home.) She leaned back and noted the surprised look on his face, as well as the look on her mother’s. She giggled and spoke to both of them, “Well I am half-elven, and I figured it was high time I learned the language.”

She laughed and turned, looking at her father again. “You are heavy of heart father, yes it is that obvious. I take it that the events in Silvanost are not going smoothly?”
Back to top Go down
zinsk
Admin
Admin
zinsk

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am

Trystan waited patiently on the edge of camp. Kellan approached, he could tell by the look on her face that she was apprehensive and unsure what he was going to say. He looked down at her and eased a smile onto his face, she returned the look apprehensively and then he spoke, “As you know I have spoken with Commander Rose.” She nodded her head and her eyes suddenly showed a hint of sadness, he smiled softly and continued, “As is her way, she has been aware of the growth of affection and feelings between us, even at our own denial. She suggested that I…,” He grasped her by the shoulders suddenly and drew her in, his lips found hers and the instant spark of warmth and moisture electrified his spine all the way until it exited his feet. He brought his arms around her and drew her in, the fire in his heart suddenly blazing forth with all the passion he had been holding back. He withdrew and looked Kellan in the eyes.

“We have her blessing Lady Kellan; she too had a love that would remain unspoken and lived only in quiet romances stolen in the shadows. She understands and she has promised not to remove you from my command so long as we keep the balance of our duties separate from our relationship. As it stands, you are still in my regiment, and I am still your Commander. However this does bring up an obviously sticky situation, we must remain utmost to our duties first and our relationship second. I cannot show a hint of favoritism or preference when it comes to you, if I do Lady Rose will yank the carpet out from under us and put you under the command of another. In light of this we need…,” She grasped him around the back of the head, clutching her fingers into his hair and pulling him into her once again. There were tears of joy in her eyes and he consumed her passion with reciprocating enthusiasm. He never felt such intensity as this, such desire to envelope that which he held and truly make it his. The two fell to their knees and embraced, the warding in place, somehow, someway, Ceridwyn had seen to it that there would be no interruptions for any of them this evening.

Kali listened as Myth talked about the events in Silvanost. She felt deep sadness that her people, though they would most likely never embrace her as one of their own, could not seem to come to grips with the dire situation. There was more infighting than ever before, what should have been a moment of unity in a worldwide event was nothing more than a reason to bring up personal agendas and ideas motivated out of selfish ambition or potential gain. A major faction of the Silvanesti Elves were still calling for total isolation from the world, to let the humans and the Dwarves deal with their own problems rather than get involved. Despite all they had witnessed, the attack at their gates, a direct assault on their home, by HER, and they still couldn’t see that the world was closing in around them. They were the frog in the water, slowly being boiled to death, dying from the inside out and completely unaware that escape was simply one leap away. She looked at her Father sympathetically, she could feel him grieving for his people, and it was in his eyes.

“Father, as you know, Knights of Solamnia are coming. Word was they will be here mid-day tomorrow. Obviously they are in need of aid, what manner of aid I cannot be certain, but Nol suggested that it primarily had to do with Mother and myself. I don’t believe that they come seeking the assistance of the Elves. Unburden your heart from the matters of Silvanost, there are tremors in the land, the very planet groans and we are being called by a greater presence than Knights or Elves. Our world is being split; a destructive power even deeper than that of the Dark Queen is seeping across the land. I have been having visions, dreams of a blackened and scorched world, enveloped in shadow and flame. The purpose of these towers is not of this world, it goes deeper, and there is more purpose than simply a takeover of Krynn. What the true purpose is has not been revealed to me, but I can tell you that those responsible are not after Krynn.”

She looked at Rayann and then back to Myth. She bit her lip and looked out into the darkened sky. Evening was set in and it was late. She stared back at her parents and reached, taking her brother in her arms and kissing her mother on the cheek. “Sleep Mother, we both need it. You and Father go to bed; I will tend to Shaeraer and see that he is asleep. You and Father need time together, this is obvious.” She smiled and turned to Myth, “Father, we will go investigate this disruption and then I would request you consider something in your thoughts. I would like to accompany you to Silvanost when you next return. I was the tip of Tahkisis spear, I brought the portals and the armies to Silvanost’s doorstep and I can assure you that we would have razed Silvanost to the ground. You know the army she commands, had I not closed the portals the gate would not be the only piece of Silvanost in ruin. Let me return with you, let me address the high elves and give me a chance to touch them with the change which has been poured through me. If they won’t listen to the one who would have seen them burn and then became something new, then all hope for them is lost.”

She lifted herself on her tiptoes, a spitting copy of the motion her mother often did, and kissed her father gently on the cheek. “Good night father and mother, may the gods see us through.”

She smiled and there was a confidence on her face that could not be ignored. She was more solid than they had ever seen her. She was truly centered in her life and in her purpose. With a gentle nod she tucked her sleepy brother up under her chin and walked out of the room, the door closing behind her with a soft click.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11: Balance of Power   11: Balance of Power - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

11: Balance of Power
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bifrost Bridge - Best Storytelling :: PORTALS OF ASGARD - Other worldly tales :: Shards of Krynn :: Shards of Krynn Book 1-
Jump to: